• 106(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Yes I'd looked at that thread and tried the various settings, but for the hell of it I just removed everything in the 14.04 grub 00_header make_timeout() section, there was a lot of code in there, and replaced it as follows:
make_timeout ()
{
cat << EOF
if [ "\${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=5
else
set timeout=${2}
fi
EOF
}

Did a "sudo grub-update" and it is booting fine now. The grub menu appears for 5 seconds then continues. It does look like the grub code is a bit flakey in Ubuntu 14.04. I'm just surprised nobody has report this already.
(2014-09-27, 22:47)figaro Wrote: Thank you Matt for your continuous help,
I re-installed ChromeOS, I followed your script as a new install and it worked fine,
The OpenELEC backup function did not work. It was OK to reconfigure the box again.
By the way, re-installing the ChromeOS did not solve the issue of no audio on HDMI.
Now the people at Google are telling me it is known bug in their last release and they are working on it. Obviously not working very hard because it is been going on for more than 2 months !!!.
The new guy at Google in charge of ChromeOS was saying the other day that he predicts ChromeOS will be the dominant OS in the future !!!. What a joke !!!. How long did it take Apple to correct the snafu with IOS 8 ? one day ?
Best Regards.

I've used the OE backup/restore function pretty regularly, I'm surprised it didn't work for you.

ChromeOS updates are released on a pretty regular/continuous schedule (6 weeks I think). You might switch to the beta channel so you get access to the latest update sooner, which might have an HDMI audio fix for you.

(2014-09-27, 22:50)plinkyplonky Wrote: Yes I'd looked at that thread and tried the various settings, but for the hell of it I just removed everything in the 14.04 grub 00_header make_timeout() section, there was a lot of code in there, and replaced it as follows:
make_timeout ()
{
cat << EOF
if [ "\${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=5
else
set timeout=${2}
fi
EOF
}

Did a "sudo grub-update" and it is booting fine now. The grub menu appears for 5 seconds then continues. It does look like the grub code is a bit flakey in Ubuntu 14.04. I'm just surprised nobody has report this already.

probably not a whole lot of people running without a keyboard connected
Hi,

First I want to say thanks, getting my ChromeBox setup as a standalone Ubuntu 14.04.1 box was rather painless.

I have the i3 version of the ChromeBox from Asus; I'm using it as a Plex Media Server, XBMC (soon to be Kodi) HTPC, and general desktop.
I store my media on a QNAP T-212 NAS and have the shares mounted via nfs.

Like I said, everything has gone rather smoothly, but I've run into an issue.

The problem is that, in XBMC, I cannot find the pass-through options for audio (DTS, DD) in the main audio output menu (settings->system->audio output).
I've got the Ubuntu install configured to HDMI 5.1 in it's system settings->sound->output settings.
I am only seeing PCM as the input source on my A/V receiver.

I was able to find an "enable pass-through" (or something very similar) option of the during-playback audio options by pressing the 'M' key to make the playback menu show up, then selecting the sound icon over on the right (it's the menu that has the "apply to all videos" option at the bottom).
But that setting doesn't seem to actually do anything, I still only see PCM as the source on my A/V receiver...

I know this is a slightly different setup from a lot of people who are simply using OpenELEC, but unless OpenELEC has a Plex Media Server add-on (does it? I should go check) this is the route I need to go.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Anyone got any ideas that might help?

Thanks.

[edit]
I went and found a Plex Media Server addon for OpenELEC, so that does exist.
But I would still like to just fix this issue, as I like having the normal Ubuntu desktop OS an option to use when desired.
[/edit]

Thanks.
Have you turned settings level to "advanced" or "expert" - in confluence it is at the bottom left of the settings windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Bah, knew I would forget to mention an important detail...

Yes, I'm in expert mode for the settings.
And yes, I'm using the stock confluence skin.
remove/uninstall pulseaudio. common issue with Intel HDA users under Ubuntu 14.04, or so Google tells me
Yes - you need to run ALSA not PulseAudio for HD Audio Bitstreaming, but current Ubuntu installs PulseAudio in a stock install.
So I was testing the dual boot ChromeOS & Xubuntu option yesterday. I tried installing OpenVPN and network manager because one of the main reasons for being interested in this setup over the dual boot ChromeOS & OpenElec is the ability to VPN into work from my Asus Chromebox.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the VPN working in Ubuntu and I was also unable to get the VPN working in ChromeOS.

I then did a factory reset and went back to the dual boot ChromeOS & OpenElec setup and, what do ya know, I was able to connect to my VPN in ChromeOS - same settings.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Any ideas as to why this would happen? Aren't the system files and base configuration totally separate for the 2 OS's?
there's no reason why one would affect the other in terms of VPN connectivity. The factory reset probably forced a ChromeOS update which may have fixed the issue there, but the installation of OpenELEC is unrelated
(2014-09-30, 17:12)Matt Devo Wrote: there's no reason why one would affect the other in terms of VPN connectivity.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Something else must have been going on. I'll give it a go another time.
(2014-09-30, 08:30)Matt Devo Wrote: remove/uninstall pulseaudio. common issue with Intel HDA users under Ubuntu 14.04, or so Google tells me

(2014-09-30, 10:57)noggin Wrote: Yes - you need to run ALSA not PulseAudio for HD Audio Bitstreaming, but current Ubuntu installs PulseAudio in a stock install.

Well that sounds easy, but a quick google search is showing that it may not be all that easy.

In my quick test so far, I've managed to completely remove the audio device from the sound settings, and when trying to view things from the gnome-alsamixer I'm not seeing any controls for the Intel HDA audio device (the realtek device actually has channels and volumes, etc).

I'll continue to try getting this working and I'll come edit this post with results, etc when I'm done.

Thanks for the point into the (hopefully) right direction.

[edit]
So I got what I was looking for on this page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio

The short of it...
You don't have to remove pulseaudio to get the pass-through options to show up in XBMC (in fact you just need to configure it properly).
Just install pavucontrol and get it set up in a way that you prefer (using info found in the link above).

Thanks for the help guys!
[/edit]

=]
(2014-09-26, 15:12)gkingsmill Wrote: I had the same problem with my Panasonic TV. I fixed it on the TV by pressing the Menu button on the TV remote, going into Picture, VIewing Mode, and setting it to THX. When I did this the screen size on XBMC was perfect with no adjustment required. Note that this setting is unique to each AV input, so making this change on the XBMC HDMI input will not affect your TV or other HDMI inputs.

Note that you could also change the screen size in XBMC by going to System, System, Video Output, Video calibration and then adjust the screen size to match your TV. .

Setting the Panasonic TV Viewing Mode to THX is a better solution since this will fix the screen size for the boot menu, ChromeOS, OpenELEC and XBMC.

Geoff..

I would get back to you, and you are 100% correct on this matter.
When i fiddled with the settings on the the Panasonic maybe i just missed the setting that worked.

And i am very very happy to have solved the problem.
Thanks alot! Wish i could hand you a cold beer or somthing else suitable.

regards P3ws
I am attempting to install SteamOS on a HP Chromebox and have had mixed success so far.

When attempting a dual-boot configuration I get to the part where the Chromebox will reboot and "repair" after the drive partitioning, but after it resets CTRL+L just causes the machine to beep, not reboot in legacy mode. It'll eventually boot into ChromeOS.

In a single-boot configuration SteamOS installs but the MAC Address is lost in the process and Debian guides to permanently change it don't work for me.

I'd be fine with it booting just into SteamOS, but not having Ethernet is a non-starter. The change logs seem to indicate this issue was fixed with newer versions of the script, so why is it that I'm running into the same problem?
(2014-10-02, 05:58)ChrisCrimbus Wrote: I am attempting to install SteamOS on a HP Chromebox and have had mixed success so far.

When attempting a dual-boot configuration I get to the part where the Chromebox will reboot and "repair" after the drive partitioning, but after it resets CTRL+L just causes the machine to beep, not reboot in legacy mode. It'll eventually boot into ChromeOS.

In a single-boot configuration SteamOS installs but the MAC Address is lost in the process and Debian guides to permanently change it don't work for me.

I'd be fine with it booting just into SteamOS, but not having Ethernet is a non-starter. The change logs seem to indicate this issue was fixed with newer versions of the script, so why is it that I'm running into the same problem?

If dual booting anything other than OpenELEC or Ubuntu, you'll likely need to also manually update the legacy BIOS as well, since that's normally done at the end of the dual boot setup.

For standalone setup, there's no reason for the MAC address not to be preserved. I tested it on a HP Chromebox just the other week without issue. Even if the device's unique MAC address wasn't preserved, there's no reason the box wouldn't work with the default one, or why SteamOS would care either way - something else is amiss there.
SteamOS is the latest sh**t when it comes to hw support. It only really supports nvidia quite well out of the box.

Steam ships outdated VAAPI, LIBVA and an even more outdated kernel 3.10 which I highly don't suggest on any hsw based setup cause of wrong color clamping (was fixed in 3.13) and snd_hda_intel which has a bug concerning data alignment which was fixed in 3.15 - so - just don't.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37