Constant tear in XBMC on Ubuntu, perfect on XBMCbuntu
Hey guys!

I have a rather strange problem:
I get constant tearing on the upper part of the screen when playing 1080p videos. I tried all settings I saw that might have anything to do with vsync.
Here comes the interesting part: When booting XBMCbuntu from a pendrive, with fully default settings, videos play perfectly fine. I can even set to adjust display frequency to video so on my tv 24 Hz videos look buttery smooth (well, as smooth as 24 Hz can be, but my tv also has motionflow so it interpolates it to be smoother).
Well, I could just install it on another partition and be happy with it, but it would be much more comfortable not having to reboot all the time I wanted to watch a movie.

Why I found this strange especially is that XBMCbuntu is based on Ubuntu. Well, it's based on Lubuntu, so the only real difference should be the shell (LXDE vs Unity). I think, the driver version and the gpu driver should all be the same. Could the shell be the problem here, should I install LXDE maybe? Or is there some tweak (maybe some gpu or shell configuration) in some settings in XBMCbuntu that is set correctly by default in Ubuntu?

Another idea I had is that I read somewhere that XBMC is not compatible with Compiz (which Ubuntu has), so "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" should be enabled in CompizConfig/Composite, but it's enabled, I think it's be default on on 14.04.

I have: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (the normal, Unity version), XBMC 13.0 Gotham (stable).
My hardware (laptop) :
Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz (P8600), Ati Mobility Radeon HD4670 (RV730/M96-XT) with default open source driver (Mesa), 4 GB RAM.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Try disabling backing store

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=190655
(2014-05-08, 23:08)teeedubb Wrote: Try disabling backing store

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=190655

Wow, it really seems to have been it, now it's working nicely. I actually saw that earlier, I just thought for some reason that it was nvidia-only...
Thanks! And sorry for the pointless thread.
Now I tried it on my TV too in 24 hz, and it's pretty much perfect now.
Great, thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Constant tear in XBMC on Ubuntu, perfect on XBMCbuntu0