What is the BEST device for running xbmc?
Tronsmart s89h does pass through perfectly and also the minix x8h. Both are 120$ machines powerful enough for everything as matter xbmc.
There's no substitute for experience
(2014-06-04, 07:18)bluechris Wrote: Tronsmart s89h does pass through perfectly and also the minix x8h. Both are 120$ machines powerful enough for everything as matter xbmc.

Not if they can't handle full BD rips including VC1 content. What's good enough for you won't cut it for everyone.
(2014-06-04, 07:18)bluechris Wrote: Tronsmart s89h does pass through perfectly and also the minix x8h. Both are 120$ machines powerful enough for everything as matter xbmc.

Tronsmart s89h don't have 24p! Confused
Android don't have automatic refresh to video! Sad
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
I am also searching for a htpc an was looking for a NUC i3.....think that's the best at the moment?.........I only want to use it for XBMC. How do you install it on a NUC?

Or a Asus ChromeBox M004U / celeron 2955 model?
(2014-06-05, 12:21)FAMMAR Wrote: I am also searching for a htpc an was looking for a NUC i3.....think that's the best at the moment?.........I only want to use it for XBMC. How do you install it on a NUC?

Or a Asus ChromeBox M004U / celeron 2955 model?

I3 NUC is the most powerful for under $350 certainly. Run OpenElec on it. Look to huge Haswell i3 thread. These other kiddie boxes for $100 are fine if your needs are less demanding (all h264 video and DD/DTS audio).
so the tronsmart or the minix x8 are bad ideas to buy?
(2014-06-08, 05:51)crxman Wrote: so the tronsmart or the minix x8 are bad ideas to buy?

if you use them only for xbmc it's best buy, but if you need a box to navigate and play starch could also be a choice.
The kernel supports Amlogic 24p to 1080p, but are not active.
We are the first attempts to run linux, but the road is still long.

Asus ChromeBox or DN2820FYKH is best buy
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
so what will the x8 and the tronsmart not do?
(2014-06-08, 21:09)crxman Wrote: so what will the x8 and the tronsmart not do?
Tronsmart s89h don't have 24p.
Android don't have automatic refresh to video.

you found more information there:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...p24-output

for me it's a must for xbmc ,but not for all people.
what i use my desktop for now that i want to replace it with one of those or something else is xbmc, skype and vevo so what would work best for those?
(2014-06-09, 01:51)crxman Wrote: what i use my desktop for now that i want to replace it with one of those or something else is xbmc, skype and vevo so what would work best for those?

The NUC will do that. The difference is that with an i3 nuc, you can use more advanced scaling algorithms to upscale SD content.

There is no "best" device for XBMC because everyone has different requirements of what they expect from XBMC. I use a $1000 PC for XBMC because I use my HTPC as a full PS4 replacement because I want to be able to game, and I don't want to game at anything lesst han 1080p/60FPS.

I'd recommend the cheapest NUC for you. In general, my opinion is that chances are if you don't know why you need more powerful hardware, then you probably don't use things that will utilize it.

But there is no "best" XBMC device it really is all a matter of opinion, what platform you're comfortable with working on, your tech experience, etc.

I recommend the NUC, but the more precise about what you want to do (What operating system you use, exact apps, do you use/know what the scaling algorithms are (if not then probably wouldn't get a CPU capable of using the stronger ones if you're happy and have been happy with the scaling algorithms you've been currently using) etc. the better we can help you.

Without full information though, this is a forum where quite a number of hardware enthusiasts are and they care about things like being able to passthrough full HD audio, but if none of your files have HD Audio (and you don't have 5.1 surround sound), then there isn't much of a point worrying about that. So that's the issue with asking "What is the best" for XBMC. Best is subjective and it comes down to whether you care about things like HD Audio Passthrough, Scaling Algorithm flexibility, etc.
(2014-06-09, 18:37)tential Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 01:51)crxman Wrote: what i use my desktop for now that i want to replace it with one of those or something else is xbmc, skype and vevo so what would work best for those?

The NUC will do that. The difference is that with an i3 nuc, you can use more advanced scaling algorithms to upscale SD content.

There is no "best" device for XBMC because everyone has different requirements of what they expect from XBMC. I use a $1000 PC for XBMC because I use my HTPC as a full PS4 replacement because I want to be able to game, and I don't want to game at anything lesst han 1080p/60FPS.

I'd recommend the cheapest NUC for you. In general, my opinion is that chances are if you don't know why you need more powerful hardware, then you probably don't use things that will utilize it.

But there is no "best" XBMC device it really is all a matter of opinion, what platform you're comfortable with working on, your tech experience, etc.

I recommend the NUC, but the more precise about what you want to do (What operating system you use, exact apps, do you use/know what the scaling algorithms are (if not then probably wouldn't get a CPU capable of using the stronger ones if you're happy and have been happy with the scaling algorithms you've been currently using) etc. the better we can help you.

Without full information though, this is a forum where quite a number of hardware enthusiasts are and they care about things like being able to passthrough full HD audio, but if none of your files have HD Audio (and you don't have 5.1 surround sound), then there isn't much of a point worrying about that. So that's the issue with asking "What is the best" for XBMC. Best is subjective and it comes down to whether you care about things like HD Audio Passthrough, Scaling Algorithm flexibility, etc.

To all of that (very good job btw) I would add that VC-1 support and 24P support is very important to some, but definitely not most, XBMC users.
well as of right now i have just a stereo connected to the vizio tv for sound, i dont have 5.1 right now but may in the future. i dont even know if my movies have that in it. but i am concerned about picture quality. as far as audio quality i i would like to keep my options open. for apps all i would use it for is xbmc, skype and vevo for music.
The other question is what region are you based in? and what sort of equipment do you currently use for video playback.

The is relevant to how important different refresh rates are important to you.

For example blu-rays are 24Hz but can be played at 60Hz via what is called 3:2 Pulldown as 60Hz is all some TV's are capable of.

US broadcast TV is 60Hz.

UK broadcast TV and most of Europe is 50Hz

So if in US then the ability to change refresh rate to match the source may not be important to you as playback at 60Hz might be all you need if you don't notice 3:2 Pulldown stutter.

If based outside of the US, then it's likely being able to change refresh rate is of more importance as there's a greater chance you'll have videos with a mix of different refresh rates.
I live in the US

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the BEST device for running xbmc?0