Custom buttons on Harmony 300i remote
I just read some thread but i really don't understand how can I add on my harmony 300i a custom comand, actually i set the media center profile on myharmony program, but there's some missing buttons like: info (i think c button on keyboard) and subtitle.

Someone know how can I add this function to the harmony?
(2014-05-09, 14:42)darkf3d3 Wrote: I just read some thread but i really don't understand how can I add on my harmony 300i a custom comand, actually i set the media center profile on myharmony program, but there's some missing buttons like: info (i think c button on keyboard) and subtitle.

Someone know how can I add this function to the harmony?

I'm not familiar with the 300, but if you can program it with the Harmony desktop software (V7 - I don't know if the MyHarmony web system supports the 300 or not), you might be able to.

There is a device "Microsoft Media Center PC (MCE Keyboard)" which has the codes for a standard PC keyboard including all letters, etc.

IF you have space for an additional device on your remote it's pretty easy. Just add the keyboard and program the individual keys you need to whatever buttons you want.

If you don't have space for the additional device you need to have a "spare" remote and the ability to teach your 300 new commands. You can then create a temporary setup for the spare remote which contains the keyboard device and use it to teach the commands you need to the appropriate device on your 300. When done you can reset the "spare" remote's normal setup. I use an old 880 with balky buttons as my "spare" device holder remote for this purpose.

I have run into a problem with the single character commands (such as I, C, S etc.) to control XBMC however. As you may know the Harmony remotes use command repeats to ensure that the device gets the appropriate command correctly and allows you to program the number of repeats and inter-key delays. Historically I used the desktop software to program my Harmony remotes but after they got a lot of the kinks worked out of the MyHarmony website I decided that I should transfer my programming to it (you really have to start over and reprogram everything as there isn't a way to transfer setups from the desktop system database to the MyHarmony database.)

Once I did this I noticed that I had problems with the single character commands such as "S". The characteristic was that the system would respond twice to the single commands. So if I sent "S" for example the system menu would appear and then disappear because the second command toggled it off. I spent a lot of time screwing around with the repeat and inter-key delay settings but could never get the responses to be consistently correct. This behavior was not consistent and sometimes the commands would work and sometimes not.

I reloaded my remote from the desktop setup and this behavior became less problematic with the "doubling" problem only showing up maybe once every 30 to 40 key presses. Consequently I have reverted to the desktop software to program the remote I used to control XBMC. I can only conclude that the MyHarmony system handles the repeat and delay functions somewhat differently than the desktop software resulting in this problem. Yes, I did try turning the repeat functions off entirely and that didn't resolve the problem.

In any event it now works pretty well and consistently enough that it's not a problem.
Thanks davelr,
so do you think that's is better to use the desktop program instead of myharmony?
Well in my case using the Desktop program did give me more consistent results when sending the single character commands. This could be an idiosyncrasy of setup and may not be a problem for you. If you're already using the MyHarmony site, I'd try it there and see if you get consistent command responses. If not you can always try the Desktop program.

I would have preferred to use MyHarmony as that is what they'll be supporting in the future, but just couldn't get the issue resolved using it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom buttons on Harmony 300i remote0