Available "Video Scaling Method"
Hello,

I've a question concerning what determines which "video scaling method"s are available under the video settings.

I've run XBMC (v13) on a Retina Macbook with NVIDIA GPU running Mavericks and have "lanczos3 optimized", "spline36 optimized" and "bicubic" available.
When I run XBMC on an older Macbook with Intel GPU running Lion I have only "bicubic" available as a scaling method.

So my questions is how does XBMC decide which options to offer and more interestingly, is it possible to force XBMC to offer all scaling methods on every device?

Greetings
omega13333
The gpu driver needs to support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object and the render method must be RENDER_GLSL

Also the methods are not visible if the scaling factor is below the limit for HQ scaling (which can be setup in system->video somewhere iirc).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
When I query for the OpenGL extensions by using glxinfo, both machines seem to support GL_EXT_framebuffer_object. Nevertheless the old macbook does only support bilinear scaling and no lanczos3 scaling.

For me it looks like, as if the Intel GMA950 GPU in the old macbook is quite too old to run the required shaders for the lanczos3 scaling, or am I wrong?

Another question that comes up then, if it is possible to run the scalers in software without using the GPU.
It might be a thing of the display resolution then ... are you sure you have lowered the threshold for HQ scaling in the settings?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I've tried multiple values between 0% and 100% for the HQ scaling threshold, which doesn't change anything.

More interestingly even when I switch between the available options "bilinear" and "nearest neighbor" this doesn't change the image quality at all, while this has an significant effect on my other computers. It looks like the upscaling option is ignored at all on the GMA950.

In the following I have pasted the part of the xbmc.log when starting a video:

http://pastebin.com/U6SRnBFB

edit by memphiz: moved log to pastebin
Well i have a hackintosh with gma950 (x3100) and it shows the hq scalers (threshold is set to 0%) - not much i can tell you - but please post full logs the next time and post them to pastebin.com and put the link in here.

Problem for you is this:

Code:
19:43:06 T:2897838784   ERROR: GL: GLSL shaders not supported
19:43:06 T:2897838784   ERROR: GL: Error compiling and linking video filter shader
19:43:06 T:2897838784   ERROR: GL: Falling back to bilinear due to failure to init scaler

GLSL rendering is failing on your rig ...
I've investigated a little bit the hardware capabilities of the GMA950 and it turns out that it only supports shader model 2.0, which is not enough to let the scaling shaders compile.

As I see the X3100 is a successor of the GMA950, that already supports shader model 3.0 and therefor the HQ scalers work for you.

Since my problem is due to a lack of hardware capabilities I don't think that it can be solved without implementing the HQ scalers in software and thus the thread can be closed. But thanks for your support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Available "Video Scaling Method"0