The new Subtitles submenu in Gotham
I am glad that the subtitles got an overhaul and it is better now, except the Subtitle submenu. The Subtitle submenu is not really useful in my opinion.

Now, to download a subtitle I need at least 2-3 clicks more, compared to the Frodo version where there was no submenu.

It would be nice if there was an option to disable this submenu.
I don't understand. Frodo had a subtitle download menu. Eden and Dharma, too. If there was no menu then what would you click on at all in order to download subs?
I think he means how before there was the option to auto-download subtitles. 1 click and you were potentially done. Boo hoo...2 more clicks won't hurt you.
Use another skin like Aeon Nox 5.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
See the picture:Image

It’s actually 4 clicks more because pressing “arrow-down” doesn’t work. I think this is needles complication and bad practice from a design point of view.

Also, the next button will revert to “play” if there are no more subtitles, instead of circling around. Which introduces many more clicks.

Also, the submenu opens automatically without pressing the “Subtitle” button, which opens the possibility of retaining the old functionality by allowing a keypress on it.

Also, this submenu widget design isn't used anywhere else in XBMC and feels a bit out-of-place considering the rest of the design.

Sorry… but the submenu is really ill conceived. I vote away with it.
(2014-05-12, 17:22)davor Wrote: See the picture:Image

It’s actually 4 clicks more because pressing “arrow-down” doesn’t work. I think this is needles complication and bad practice from a design point of view.

To do what? Search?

Quote:Also, the next button will revert to “play” if there are no more subtitles, instead of circling around. Which introduces many more clicks.

That's something that can be fixed without throwing the entire menu away.

Quote:Also, the submenu opens automatically without pressing the “Subtitle” button, which opens the possibility of retaining the old functionality by allowing a keypress on it.

See, there's no need to remove the menu. By the way, changing the menu/button won't bring back auto-download functionality, if that is what you are talking about. That ability got lost in the changeover of making subtitles a part of XBMC's core, and it didn't happen when the menu/button was redone.

Quote:Also, this submenu widget design isn't used anywhere else in XBMC and feels a bit out-of-place considering the rest of the design.

It's a new skin elements, and the author of Confluence left the Team between v12 and v13. It has yet to be used in other places, but that's not a reason to remove something.

Quote:Sorry… but the submenu is really ill conceived. I vote away with it.

For the first time this menu/button is useful to most users of XBMC. Before this main level button was dedicated to only being used by the subtitle download add-on, which most users don't use. Even when you do use it, you only need to use it once to download the subtitles that weren't included, and then you don't need to use it again for that video. Because it is now an actual subtitle menu, and contains more subtitle controls, it saves people like me many clicks.

Thems the breaks.
(2014-05-13, 00:03)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 17:22)davor Wrote: Also, the submenu opens automatically without pressing the “Subtitle” button, which opens the possibility of retaining the old functionality by allowing a keypress on it.

See, there's no need to remove the menu. By the way, changing the menu/button won't bring back auto-download functionality, if that is what you are talking about. That ability got lost in the changeover of making subtitles a part of XBMC's core, and it didn't happen when the menu/button was redone.
I am not asking for the auto-download functionality. I am simply asking to retain the old function which opened the search/download menu when pressing on the “Subtitle” icon. Now I have to go all the way up to “Download”.
(2014-05-13, 00:03)Ned Scott Wrote: It's a new skin element, and the author of Confluence left the Team between v12 and v13. It has yet to be used in other places, but that's not a reason to remove something.
Ok, I agree.
(2014-05-13, 00:03)Ned Scott Wrote: Even when you do use it, you only need to use it once to download the subtitles that weren't included, and then you don't need to use it again for that video.
Erm… I am one of those who doesn’t get the subs right on the first try… Now, you don’t want to punish me with extra clicks for that, do you?
(2014-05-13, 00:03)Ned Scott Wrote: Because it is now an actual subtitle menu, and contains more subtitle controls, it saves people like me many clicks.
I understand that, but at the same time it introduced 4 more clicks to me. And back with v12, I already needed 4 clicks to get to the icon. So although it wasn’t excellent back then, now its double as bad Smile. So bad in fact that I thought I had to take action and start this thread.

Anyway, I think we both agree that the button and the menu need a bit more tinkering…
I agree that more clicks are annoying but there was very little we(I) could do when it was added in confluence. use different skin or map a remote button to open subtitle window on click
I've added these two lines to /usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/VideoOSD.xml in the section <control type="button" id="250">:
Code:
<onclick>Dialog.Close(VideoOSD)</onclick>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)</onclick>

This will add an onclick-handler to the subtitles-menu button and restores the old behaviour (and leaves the new menu working as well).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The new Subtitles submenu in Gotham0