Progressive small step forward/back
I came to XBMC from over a decade with MediaPortal and I've been pleased to find that XBMC has surpassed MP's capabilities in nearly every capacity. There remains, however, one MP feature that I loved that doesn't seem to have an equivalent in XBMC.

What I'm looking for is sort of a twist on the small & big steps forward and backward for music and video. In MP, I could define incrementally-progressive forward and backward steps so, for example, pressing 'forward' once took me 15 seconds forward. Pressing forward twice in rapid succession would take me 60 seconds forward. Three times in rapid success would take me five minutes forward. Four times = 15 minutes. And so on.

Another way of saying it might be that it worked like:
press forward, wait for about a second --> 15 seconds forward
press press press, wait for about a second --> 5 minutes forward

These steps could be defined per user preference. In a text box somewhere the user could enter an array like "15s, 30s, 60s, 5m, 10m, 15m, 30m, 60m" that would specify the steps available. In this example array, pressing forward or backward three times rapidly would take the user 60 seconds from his current position. The amount to skip would be displayed on the screen.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate all the hard work that goes into this, and I'm very impressed by the XBMC product.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the request. FYI this has already been requested and will hopefully be added. At least I will bug devs until they add it, because I also miss this, especially for PVR to skip commercials Wink
Thanks very much for your response. I didn't see this when I searched. I do hope it eventually makes its way into the software.

As someone who's relatively new to XBMC, I'm curious... Is this something that resides in the basic functionality of the program or would it be a skin feature? XBMC seems to put more functionality/programming/logic in the skin than other platforms I'm familiar with. Also, could this be achieved with an add-on? Can add-ons interact at a low enough level to achieve this kind of thing?

Thanks again!
i also switched from mediaportal to xbmc and i must absolutly agree with bkann, the way of jumping for/backward was much better with mediaportal. if this will come to xbmc would be really nice... thanks da-anda
@bkann no, this is low level core stuff. We aim to move more and more things to addons, but AFAIK this would have to be in core for best experience
Can anyone from the XBMC team comment on how this is progressing, if at all? Also an MP convert here, and as per everyone else, it's the one day to day thing I really miss. Makes moving around in videos so much easier and flexible. Be great to see if this is a feature request tracked somewhere. Thanks for all the hard work so far.
Noone is working on that atm - at least not that we know of ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
https://github.com/KODeKarnage/service.p...sive.steps

Here is an addon that implements the feature.

Click the small-step-forward twice or more times and the addon will jump ahead (or back) different amounts, which you can set in the addon Settings.

It isnt as smooth as I was hoping; each click forward or back still causes the small-steps. But it still jumps ahead the correct amount in total.

You can also set the delay before activation and the max time between clicks.

It needs testing, so give it go.
Hi,

I am just coming from mediaportal and so far xbmc can do everything mp does and even more. The only thing I am missing is this progressive skipping (especially during live tv).

So I tried your plugin Karnagious. It does not work for me unfortunately Sad ...
I cant find the small-step-forward and a small-step-backward only results in -7 seconds despite having configured different steps in the progressive plugin.

ver. 13.2
Any ideas?
You could sacrifice one of the normal or big jump buttons to be +7: HOW-TO:Modify time seeking (wiki)
thanks ned, but I am looking to have incremental skip steps like ... press once +30, press twice +60, press 3 times + 300 etc.

the plugin "progressive steps" by karnagious should be able to do so it does not work for me however. In his post he says
Quote:Click the small-step-forward twice or more times and the addon will jump ahead (or back) different amounts, which you can set in the addon Settings.

seems strange because there is no small step forward ... but it also does not work backwards. I was just asking if anyone maybe has tried this plugin and got it to work? Smile
drbloo - there is work going on on this - see PR5407
Post the xbmc.log file to pastebin. It should have info on what the addon is seeing and doing.

Actually if there is already a PR, then just wait for that. Debugging the addon will take time anyway, as I will have to refamiliarise myself with the code.

Also, something inbuilt will always perform better than an addon operating on top.
great thanks guys ... I think I'll wait for the PR then Smile
Will it also work for the audio player?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Progressive small step forward/back1