What hardware should I buy?
(2014-05-17, 19:23)Packetcrypt Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 07:22)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-16, 18:35)Packetcrypt Wrote: I do not have a 4K TV but I can confirm it will play 4K Video Samples in the dedicated 4K player installed on the M8.

Decode it, sure, but what about the actual video output?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Someone at FreakTab modified a build of XBMC to play 4K video files. When I play the file it shows 4K video and 5.1 DTS in the XBMC player. Picture looks crystal clear on a 1080 TV . Would be nice to have a 4K Tv to see if there is a huge difference. Most people say outside of 10 feet you will not see much difference.

It doesn't output in 4k. The max video output on the unit is 1080. So all it does is allow you to playback 4k content with the hardware decoder. There will be no quality difference even on a 4k TV because it will be 4k downscaled to 1080 and then scaled back up to 4k.
It has 4k resolution @ 24,25 and 30mhz in the settings. It will not allow me to select it because I have a 1080 tv however I have read that you can select it on a 4k tv and that it does output at 4k . Are you saying you tested this and even on a 4k tv it is only displaying at 1080? Why would they even add the 4k resolution in settings then? Is this not false advertising? Why would others lie and say it works? Company shills perhaps. Guess it is not a huge concern for me considering I am not buying a 4K tv anytime soon but I would assume many people with a 4K tv are purchasing this box solely on the fact they claim it outputs at 4K.
Just going off of their own product page, which listed a max output of 1080. Maybe they just wrote it wrong on the product page, then?
(2014-05-18, 05:33)nickr Wrote: So do I, but that is a slightly different proposition to "I know 4K is coming, I know the codecs they are going to use, can this machine do what I will require of it tomorrow?"

I see where you're coming from, though I don't think 4K will start to become the norm for another 12-24 months. Either way, by the time it IS the norm I reckon prices for NUC-like devices will have fallen either further.

Edit: If the price difference is negligible, then of course it's a good idea to invest in something 4K-compatible. I wouldn't however make it a priority quite yet.
Imho, 4K is just a term that menufacture used to advertise and show the capability of their hardware, not for our users. It is more like: this box can play 4K, instead of "you can enjoy 4K with it".Many boxes clam they can support 4K playback, but the reality is, it can play, but you can not bare to watch them.That's too bad. We are just not ready for 4K yet.
(2014-05-19, 08:38)weicoo Wrote: Imho, 4K is just a term that menufacture used to advertise and show the capability of their hardware, not for our users. It is more like: this box can play 4K, instead of "you can enjoy 4K with it".Many boxes clam they can support 4K playback, but the reality is, it can play, but you can not bare to watch them.That's too bad. We are just not ready for 4K yet.

Of course 4K is an advertising gimmick. They can't use the term full HD since it was used for 1080p. None of it really matters Tongue
(2014-05-19, 08:59)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 08:38)weicoo Wrote: Imho, 4K is just a term that menufacture used to advertise and show the capability of their hardware, not for our users. It is more like: this box can play 4K, instead of "you can enjoy 4K with it".Many boxes clam they can support 4K playback, but the reality is, it can play, but you can not bare to watch them.That's too bad. We are just not ready for 4K yet.

Of course 4K is an advertising gimmick. They can't use the term full HD since it was used for 1080p. None of it really matters Tongue

No. It's called uHD - UltraHD
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-05-19, 09:06)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 08:59)nooryani84 Wrote:

No. It's called uHD - UltraHD

This 4K thing remind me the time when i first watched The hobbits in 48FPS on Imax screen. It was Absolutely Horrible and Weird, so I left and when to see the 24FPS. Call me old fashion, but sometimes technology just doesn't make things better Tongue
Yeah I'm sure people said that about movies with sound...

Plus ca change :-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-19, 10:20)nickr Wrote: Yeah I'm sure people said that about movies with sound...

Plus ca change :-)

I still dont care about 4K yet, though that will change with time.
(2014-05-16, 19:03)Packetcrypt Wrote: [quote='MrCrispy' pid='1711861' dateline='1400259170']
[quote='Packetcrypt' pid='1711248' dateline='1400205786']
There are so many units out there at the $100 price range that meet your requirements. Stay away from single core units like Pivos, Jynxbox etc..

Yes, the M8 is the unit I have and I can confirm it does HD audio passthru perfectly fine in XBMC. From what I understand Netflix also works fine on it however you need a hacked Netflix APK if you want to play HD content.

I have had the M8 now for two weeks, loaded one update, helped. Antutu B marked at 23852. 1080p vid looks excellent. "if" there is a skip at all, during first few seconds. Trouble in evaluating any box is finding a reliable good stream that can be observed over a couple of days off and on. I came from a Pivos xos, which by the way is optimized in Gotham! It's a little box that could, for the most part. I am happy though with my M8. The Benchmark on the Tronsmart round boxes run by Geekbuyers, I don't trust. They are so far above anything posted by anyone running a Quad Core Amlogic box, I wonder what they really had plugged in. FYI on Amazon the M8 was listed as a Tronsmart M8. It is not! They got away with it for awhile, (the seller) by including a Tronsmart dongle! Thus, Tronsmart (space) M8 was the listing. The Amlogic S802 Quad Core Cortex A9 is showing me I made a good choice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What hardware should I buy?0