Req Native Chromecast support for Android.
Would someone pleeeeze explain to me, in layman's terms, why you can watch XBMC on big screen TV from a stupid Android device, but not from an iOS or Windows pc? And,,, if the Google Chromecast dongle is selling well in all the stores, is so simple even a caveman (myself included as well as the rest of us that were not born into the computer world, but were drug kicking & screaming into it) can use it, why hasn't some written an app that will make it work? Confused
Why are you posting the same question in more than one forum? You give the appearance of being pissed off at a whole lot of people who provide you with millions of lines of code for NO COST.

You clearly don't understand the xbmc use case. Put it on a computer, plug it into your TV and away you go. Works with windows, linux, osx, android, jailbroken ios, so you have a big choice of computer.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-22, 17:03)Koying Wrote: You can't be a receiver, that's what chromecast is all about and is only that.
Actually, if correct, chromecast is just... chrome, in a dongle.

Now, it only supports the formats chrome supports, i.e. the HTML5 Video, i.e. MP4/H264 (not even mkv, apparently) and WebM/VP8.
Not exactly motivating Wink

Why can't xbmc be a chromecast receiver? I think it's more useful for xbmc to be able to receive chromecast streams than send video to chromecast. I already have a chromecast dongle but it's annoying to have them separated and with the same price you pay for chromecast you could buy a raspberry pi with xbmc and also have the same chromecast abilities..
Of course i don't know how hard it is but chromecast sender is easier only on android
There is just no API to be a receiver.
(2014-07-26, 20:20)Koying Wrote: There is just no API to be a receiver.

ok i see you mean in android where there are api to send stuff..
(2014-07-26, 15:33)phate89 Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 17:03)Koying Wrote: You can't be a receiver, that's what chromecast is all about and is only that.

Now, it only supports the formats chrome supports, i.e. the HTML5 Video, i.e. MP4/H264 (not even mkv, apparently) and WebM/VP8.

Why can't xbmc be a chromecast receiver? I think it's more useful for xbmc to be able to receive chromecast streams than send video to chromecast. I already have a chromecast dongle but it's annoying to have them separated and with the same price you pay for chromecast you could buy a raspberry pi with xbmc and also have the same chromecast abilities..
Of course i don't know how hard it is but chromecast sender is easier only on android

You can set up leapcast and chrome on your xbmc machine and it acts as a receiver. Not completely integrated in xbmc of course.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-26, 21:54)nickr Wrote:
(2014-07-26, 15:33)phate89 Wrote:

You can set up leapcast and chrome on your xbmc machine and it acts as a receiver. Not completely integrated in xbmc of course.

AFAIK actually leapcast is not very useful because it supports only the old api right now..
Sorry for all the bitching & moaning. And, like me, my laptop is also old & lacking HDMI output. (which is kind of what started all of this in the first place. again my apologies)

Somewhere in all of this, someone mentioned an Android dongle, Android stick, or something like that. So I googled that and followed a few leads. It seems like there are a lot of Android devises that will plug into a TV HDMI port and do pretty much the same thing as the Chromecast and/or Apple TV box, without the roadblocks/restrictions I am up against now. Prices ranging from $30 to $150+ depending on how fancy you want to get. Some, it seems come with XBMC already installed & configured with Mashup, Ice Channel etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxJ5rzAUIc

Does anyone have any experience with these things? Will this also allow me to eliminate the need for a laptop computer interface? Glad I found this forum. Thanks for putting up with me.
(2014-07-27, 18:58)jdjones Wrote: Some, it seems come with XBMC already installed & configured with Mashup, Ice Channel etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxJ5rzAUIc

once you installed that you will void yourself from any help from Team XBMC.
They are considered piracy addons and are not supported in any way or when using them. Let this be a warning.

Piracy Policy or the Forum Rules in general.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Stick to x86 IMHO.
(2014-07-27, 19:04)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 18:58)jdjones Wrote: Some, it seems come with XBMC already installed & configured with Mashup, Ice Channel etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxJ5rzAUIc

once you installed that you will void yourself from any help from Team XBMC.
They are considered piracy addons and are not supported in any way or when using them. Let this be a warning.

Piracy Policy or the Forum Rules in general.

So, are all Android based devises plugging into a TV (dongles, boxes, etc) allowing access to XBMC considered pirated addons? Or just the ones that come with XBMC already installed? One of the devices I found called itself a micro computer. If that is the case, how does that differ from downloading XBMC onto an Android tablet or phone and linking to the TV though an HDMI cable??
No just the ones with the illegal addons are frowned on here. It is not illegal to distribute XBMC. Unfortunately many of the android selllers who distribute XBMC also include the naughty addons.
(2014-07-28, 03:28)jdjones Wrote: So, are all Android based devises plugging into a TV (dongles, boxes, etc) allowing access to XBMC considered pirated addons? Or just the ones that come with XBMC already installed? One of the devices I found called itself a micro computer. If that is the case, how does that differ from downloading XBMC onto an Android tablet or phone and linking to the TV though an HDMI cable??

With xbmc you can play and use whatever you want, even illegal content, it's up to you and it's your problem. But you can't ask help for addons or tools that provide pirated content (or pirated files itself) like in your example Mashup, Ice Channel etc etc
Technically speaking you *can* ask for help, and your post will be moved to garbage forum. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Chromecast support for Android.0