kinect 2.0 for windows
i didnt see anything on search.

with this coming in summer, is it possible xbmc will support it?

for those that arent familiar with this version of kinect here are a few really cool features that would be a great addition to a home theater.

1. it is a really effective ir blaster, from under and behind (an inch or two) my tv it was able to turn it on and off.
2. its skeletal tracking can see mouth movement combined with multiple mics it can tell who is talking and block out background noise for voice input.
3. its skeletal tracking can see individual fingers so gesture controls actually work.
4. its tracking doesnt need light so it works in the dark.
5. its camera is accurate enough to consistently recognize faces so the correct profile(s) will be used depending on who is in the room.

other features as well, but these are ones i know a lot of people would benefit from.
I would like to see kinect works with XBMC. I had it for my xbox and the voice control works really good.
However, i will not put too much expectation on motion control. It's wired and frustrating sometimes.
I think the biggest issue of getting it implemented into XBMC is simply finding someone who wants to do it and is capable of doing it. Honestly, the Kinect is not a mainstream device (a lot of people don't even like to use them with their Xbox consoles for gaming!), and it's not integral to the media center experience. It's not nearly as simply or as reliable as a good IR remote or a wireless keyboard. With that in mind, I don't see Kinect support happening unless someone just wants to code it in as a hobby.
have you used the new kinect? i have a harmony one and it was just as reliable, but i didnt have to use my hands. id just say xbox on and itd turn on the xbox and tv. it can turn on your receiver and tv tuner as well. the voice recognition was really good, i almost never had to repeat anything. i could get anywhere with simple xbox and then what i wanted.

i do think it not being mainstream is true. but voice input will definitely be mainstream soon its where amazon is going with their set top box, and kinect is far and away the best device for it.
(2014-05-20, 00:47)kobenator Wrote: have you used the new kinect? i have a harmony one and it was just as reliable, but i didnt have to use my hands. id just say xbox on and itd turn on the xbox and tv. it can turn on your receiver and tv tuner as well. the voice recognition was really good, i almost never had to repeat anything. i could get anywhere with simple xbox and then what i wanted.

i do think it not being mainstream is true. but voice input will definitely be mainstream soon its where amazon is going with their set top box, and kinect is far and away the best device for it.

I haven't tried the new kinect 2.0 yet. I heard it got some improvements. BTW, can the new kinect distinguish voice command from movie vioce? if yes, then it has pretential.
On the Xbox One at least, it filters out any sound that is coming out of the xbox sound source.. For example, you can have music blarring and still say "Xbox Do Something" and itll hear you over the music.

I actually had my music blarring out through my Xbox, then used it to make a skype call while the music was "snapped" to the side of the screen, the person I was calling couldnt even hear the music!

I think voice control using this for XBMC would be incredible!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kinect 2.0 for windows0