XBMCBuntu - tvheadend - DVB-S USB - Card reader
Hi All,

I've been researching here and around for a while, but I couldn't;t find an exact answer.
Bit of scenario, first. I have XBMCbuntu running on a PC with TVHEADEND installed as backend and a DVB-T USB adapter for DTT channels. Everything works OK, I can watch DTT channels via LIVETV connecting on TVHEADEND backend server (127.0.0.1, obviously).
Now, I also have a Dreambox 500 for satellite channels, running CCCam to decrypt channels with a legitimate card I subscribed (Italian TVSAT).

Since I can't connect (besides tuxbox) my XBMC to the DM500, I'm thinking to buy a DVB-S usb adapter (no room for a PCI card) to combine in TVHEADEND to consolidate both DTT and SAT channels.
Here's the thing. I have a USB card reader installed on XBMCbuntu, which is correctly seen by the system and also recognize my TVSAT card.

I was wondering if anyone has a similar configuration, and if it's possible to have sat channels fed by the DVB-S usb device decrypted used the card reader and the card I have (using cccam with tvheadend, perhaps?). I'd like to know before buying any DVB-S or (better) DVB-S2 usb device :-)

Any help would be much appreciated.

My apologies in the first place if this thread has already been discussed, but I couldn't find any. If this is the case, can anyone direct me to the right thread?

Ciao!
Won't be a problem doing what you are asking, but.

I'm pretty sure any kind of discussion on cccam/oscam/newcamd/whatever is against the rules here though, this forum isn't the place to discuss your question.
(2014-05-15, 20:34)robo989 Wrote: Won't be a problem doing what you are asking, but.

I'm pretty sure any kind of discussion on cccam/oscam/newcamd/whatever is against the rules here though, this forum isn't the place to discuss your question.

Thanks for the answer, however I cannot see how is against the rules.
I'm not even talking about card sharing. I'm talking about read a legitimate card with a legitimate subscription via software, rather than using an hardware CAM with a USB/PCI device.
Simple as that.
(2014-05-15, 23:50)thematy Wrote:
(2014-05-15, 20:34)robo989 Wrote: Won't be a problem doing what you are asking, but.

Thanks for the answer, however I cannot see how is against the rules.
I'm not even talking about card sharing. I'm talking about read a legitimate card with a legitimate subscription via software, rather than using an hardware CAM with a USB/PCI device.
Simple as that.

It's because those card readers themselves are illegal, technically because cards consumers license are on the terms of tv company provider and aren't the property of the end user (check your terms, I assure you this will be the case). That said, it means the provider from a legal standpoint can sue you depending on local laws...etc etc etc.
I'm not being pedantic, I just know discussion of any kind of decryption relation to tv channels whatsoever is against the rules.
This is for two reasons primarily I assume, first being grey legal area, not something a mainstream project wants to get involved in and the second being that it's not technically related to XBMC, or even directly tvheadend.

If I were you, I'd check the tvheadend official website forum.
There's a specific forum for those decryption and receiving of channels OSCAM/newcamd type stuff.
Just Google or look at the forums at tvheadend.org, you'll find plenty of information.

@robo989: there is no such thing as an "illegal card reader", a card reader can be used for lots of things, not all of which is illegal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu - tvheadend - DVB-S USB - Card reader0