XBMC - OUYA - NFS Filesystem
Hello,

I bought a OUYA hardware. I installed the XBMC v13 "Gotham (first version of XBMC to officially support the OUYA).

I was unable to mount NFS filesystem. I dont't know if the last android chupacabra release support it.

I have a Synology NAS hardware. This is my NFS server.

I read a lot of documentation about how to change the settings on Synology /etc/exports file. But it dont work on android ouya.

If i try to mount it on linux, it works well...

someone knows if there's a limitation about nfs on android kernel?

I know that this is not a problem in xbmc software.
Try to directly use it from within xbmc maybe? (not mounting at the linux level i mean).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-05-15, 22:16)ltbplinux Wrote: I bought a OUYA hardware. I installed the XBMC v13 "Gotham (first version of XBMC to officially support the OUYA).
I was unable to mount NFS filesystem. I dont't know if the last android chupacabra release support it.
I have a Synology NAS hardware. This is my NFS server.

I just set up my new Ouya yesterday (XBMC Gotham release) and I use NFS to connect to my Synology NAS. I had problems when I was "browsing" nfs to look for my NAS. Instead I added a new location (nfs://) and wrote in the local ip address of my NAS box (192.168.x.x) and it worked fine. I did notice delays when I select a new recording to watch, but don't yet know if that is related to nfs or some other part of the system.
mr.bigglseworth,

I tried XBMC automatically connect to the NFS server. He can find the NFS server but can not show the files within the directory.

Did you modify nfs parameters in synology?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS#Synology

I'll try to manually setup xbmc to connect to nfs server using the command: nfs://ip_address

Can you send me how did you do this?

Thanks very much!

I'm more relaxed knowing that other people were able to make it work.
(2014-05-16, 14:27)ltbplinux Wrote: mr.bigglseworth,

I tried XBMC automatically connect to the NFS server. He can find the NFS server but can not show the files within the directory.

Did you modify nfs parameters in synology?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS#Synology

I'll try to manually setup xbmc to connect to nfs server using the command: nfs://ip_address

Can you send me how did you do this?

Thanks very much!

I'm more relaxed knowing that other people were able to make it work.

Yes it is a bit tricky since success depends on various settings in both the Synology NAS side and on the XBMC side. Since both interfaces are "point and click" it is a bit tricky to describe the steps exactly. The Synology settings look different depending on which version of DSM you are using. Yes I must have (months ago) done settings like the one you linked to. Note that you still cannot "see" the video files using nfs from XBMC, unless you go into the DSM Shared Folder (Control Panel) and hit "Edit" on the folder to enable it. I don't have this set at the moment, but XBMC was still able to catalogue my videos using the themoviedb or tvdb scrapers. You will also need to set the "NFS Permissions" in the Shared Folder control panel to allow access. I'm pretty sure that setting "Allow connections from non-privileged ports" was needed before it started working for XBMC access.

On my system I also have the Media Server set up on my NAS. That way I can browse my videos using upnp protocols through XBMC (google Synology upnp server). You can't use this for your libraries on XBMC since the urls are dynamic, but it is useful for browsing and playing the videos.

So in short, I get at my video files through XBMC in two different ways. I use the upnp to access them individually (Videos->Files). To catalogue my videos (movies and TV shows) I set up the locations using nfs and then let XBMC catalogue the files, and then I can play them through "Movies" or "TV Shows" from the XBMC home page.

I don't think any of this is Ouya specific, so you could probably get this sorted out using XBMC on the same computer that you fiddle with the Synology settings on until it is working, and then get the Ouya going.
Just to add: if the NFS isn't working, the Synology NAS allows many other options. I have apple fileshare protocol (afp://) enabled which worked pretty well (except in the 64-bit XBMC where afp is broken), and I just tried enabling WebDAV and it worked too. Make sure you have your videos in the NAS /video/... filepath, as it is set up for sharing from there more easily (rather than in a user space area of the filesystem).
mr.bigglseworth,

I could not make the connection with nfs even with your tips.

I am using version 5.0 of the DSM.

at control panel / shared folder i go to "edit button" and create the nfs permissions like you said.

my /etc/exports is here:

/volume1/video 192.168.1.16(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,no_root_squash,sec=sys,anonuid=1025,anongid=100)
/volume1/teste 192.168.1.16(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,no_root_squash,sec=sys,anonuid=1025,anongid=100)

then, i type exportfs -ra to initialize

In Ouya I tried to make the connection manually using nfs://nas_ip/volume1/video or nfs://nas_ip/volume1/teste and even then it says can not access the directories that are within shared folders.

if i try to search the nfs server on ouya, it show me the 2 share folders but dont let me connect on it.

I would like to use nfs because other protocols may leave the heaviest connection to transfer the videos in real time.
I test using xbmc on linux and it works...

the problem is xbmc on ouya...
The problem might be that anonid 1025 is not the uid of the user which runs the XBMC process on the ouya ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I will try to connect to ouya using adb via usb and try to see what user run the xbmc process...
(2014-05-19, 18:17)ltbplinux Wrote: I test using xbmc on linux and it works...

the problem is xbmc on ouya...

Same here: XBMC on linux and windows works fine with NFS access (on synology). XBMC on android (amazon FireTV) does not.

I did manage to connect XBMC android to the NFS share eventually, by essentially making them very insecure, which I did not like. However, the scrapper processes bug out and hang after a while. I switched to SMB and it is all working fine.

I cannot say I notice a difference in performance between NFS and SMB. I know that NFS is better, but it is too insignificant to be noticeable.
arman68,

i posted a question at xda-developers asking for this problem...

if it dont solve the nfs problems... i'll try to mount using SMB...

yesterday, i'm able to connect via adb

so i did some commands and the results

mounting 192.168.1.13:/volume1/teste on /sdcard/teste/ failed: Connection refused

my /etc/export file is like that at synology:

/volume1/teste 192.168.1.16(ro,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

the ip address of ouya is 192.168.1.16 and the nas server is 192.168.1.13

i create the teste folder at /sdcard to mount the volume there.

--------

oot@android:/ # find / -name *nfs*

the result is here:

/sys/module/nfs
/sys/module/nfs/parameters/nfs4_disable_idmapping
/proc/sys/fs/nfs
/proc/sys/fs/nfs/nfs_mountpoint_timeout
/proc/sys/fs/nfs/nfs_congestion_kb
/proc/sys/sunrpc/nfs_debug
/proc/sys/sunrpc/nfsd_debug
/proc/fs/nfsfs
/proc/fs/nfsd

so... i think the ouya has nfs support...

---------------

root@android:/proc # cat filesystems
nodev sysfs
nodev rootfs
nodev bdev
nodev proc
nodev cgroup
nodev tmpfs
nodev debugfs
nodev sockfs
nodev usbfs
nodev pipefs
nodev anon_inodefs
nodev rpc_pipefs
nodev devpts
ext3
ext2
ext4
nodev ramfs
vfat
nodev nfs
ntfs
nodev fuse
fuseblk
nodev fusectl
nodev oprofilefs
arman68,

to work SMB you did some modifications? do you root your ouya? or do you only update the ouya to the newest firmware and install xbmc v13. gotham?
NFS works!

I root the ouya and install busybox.

I use adb connection to mount command that comes with busybox to mount nfs!

the default mount command that comes with ouya dont be able to mount nfs!

i'll make a howto.
Code:
/volume1/teste 192.168.1.16(ro,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

insecure flag is missing ... as written in the wiki ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - OUYA - NFS Filesystem2