Linux Linux Mint16 XBMC crashes on playing video
Hi All

Sorry for initially posting this note in the general help section I missed the special Linux section.

I recently installed XBMC on a old dell dimension 3100c upgraded to 2 Gig memory and running Linux Mint16, outcome: XBMC crashes on video playback. However, when the same hardware was operating under WinXP....XBMC worked fine.

Note these XBMC crashes occur whether I install XBMC from the built in Mint software managers and get a old version or via the published terminal install suggestions to get the latest version installed, Please Note XBMC works fine on a HP laptop running Linux mint 16 so its something to do with the Dell's limited hardware or how I have installed or configured XBMC or Mint on this machine.

Any ideas or suggestions I append the crash file

Cheers and thanks

Joe Rice

upload crash log references 202696 and 202697
Your GPU drivers are too old. It's crashing in the intel drivers.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the quick response fritsch,

Should I use the synaptic package manager to update video drivers or is it a more involve process?

Cheers

Joe
Try the 'buntu installer from here...

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Mint 16 is Ubuntu 13.10, so you should still be supported (Intel only does 12 months, I think)
Hi All

I found that there is a standard Driver Manager update tool in the Admin section of Linux Mint16 but it reports that no drivers need to be updated and that no propriety drivers have been used...So I am at a bit of a loss.

Also if I place a DVD into the machine the in-built Totem Movie player within Mint16 plays the HD video without problem....but when I try yo play the DVD via XBMC it crashes. Presumably both programs access the same video driver set.

I will try the Ubuntu installer later this weekend to see what results

Thanks for the info

Joe
Yes totem is not a full fledged OpenGL program ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi All
Sorry for the delay

I downloaded and installed the Ubuntu intel graphic installer and configured it for Mint 16 following the advice here:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/node/124

I used it to automatically update my system to the latest intel driver packages but it still crashes xbmc when trying to play a video. crash files are: 207731, 207744, 207745

Any ideas welcome

cheers

Joe
Hi All

Since I had set this old Dell up as a duel boot machine I installed frodo on the WinXP partition and it works fine so I will use this as there is no way of updating the graphics hardware .

Must admit I am impressed with XBMC and the yatze remote control software for android

Cheers

Joe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Mint16 XBMC crashes on playing video0