Req Add WOL for PVR servers
Hi,

I'm really enjoying everything Gotham has to offer including WOL of Movie/Video/Series sources and great PVR support with serverWMC.

My main setup is:

Raspberry Pi with OpenElec

Windows 7 XBMC viewer, file and serverWMC PVR TV server.

It's a really great feature that the RPi can wake up the Windows 7 PC to watch a movie etc, but the PVR plugins doesn't seem to be able to do the same thing?

Request: Would it be possible/a good idea to implement similar WOL functionality for PVR clients, so the client can wake a sleeping TV source?

I think it would be great as the workaround currently is to try to watch a movie first and then switch the PVR once the TV source has been woken up.
Yes please! It would be very helpful and make for seamless uniform experience across the various sources.
I don't think so, except if it was a separate option. I like my VDR sleeping except when recording (or being explicitly in use). The money I'd pay for a 24/7-VDR-Desktop is about a hundred times more than what I pay for a 24/7 raspberry.

Just my thoughts on this.
(2014-08-23, 13:52)bstabens Wrote: I don't think so, except if it was a separate option. I like my VDR sleeping except when recording (or being explicitly in use). The money I'd pay for a 24/7-VDR-Desktop is about a hundred times more than what I pay for a 24/7 raspberry.

Just my thoughts on this.

I probably wasn't clear. I certainly didn't want to wake the PVR server unless the services were required. Wouldn't make sense.

It seems though that this has already been implemented in recent builds? On my OpenElec RPi XBMC tries to wake the PVR server when entering trying to watch live tv.
Yeah, scarecrow420 implemented WOL for version 0.2.98 of pvr.wmc and higher.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Great thanks!
(2014-08-25, 23:34)krustyreturns Wrote: Yeah, scarecrow420 implemented WOL for version 0.2.98 of pvr.wmc and higher.

I posted this in the PVR Improvements discussion thread, as I believe this is a shortcoming of XBMC and not the plugins, but wanted to make sure my observations are correct and to see if there's anything the plugins could do to overcome this.

"From what I'm experiencing, right now XBMC 13.2 will contact the PVR backend PC (issuing a WOL packet if needed) when it's opened to download the latest EPG, even if Live TV is not used during that session of XBMC. However, if the PVR backend PC falls asleep before you actually want to watch Live TV, XBMC won't issue a WOL packet to the PVR backend PC when Live TV is actually accessed.

So I could open up XBMC to watch a movie and it will wake up the PC to get the latest EPG data (causing unnecessary spin up/down and wear and tear on the PVR PC's hard drives, as well as unnecessary power consumption) and then after the movie is done go into Live TV but XBMC won't wake up the PVR PC when I actually need it to. The logical thing to do, which would fix both of these problems, would be to only access the PVR backend PC when necessary and ensure that a WOL packet is sent to it when actually accessed. I'm not sure if this is already being worked on, as I am using Gotham 13.2."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add WOL for PVR servers0