Gotham 1080p videos stutter
Hi guys,

i was using eden and frodo nearly over two years without any lags or stutter.

For the major update to 13.0 stable i wanted to do a fresh clean setup.
So i did a backup, deinstalled xbmc 12.3, deleted the user and program folder, restart.
I tried to configure xbmc 13 as close as possible to my old setup.
The audio output settings are not as easy as it is written.

Image Image

My big problem is, that now every 1080p movie is stuttering.
Here is a small sample.

Can you heelp me to solve my problem?

Maybe it has something to do with "output configuration" or "resample quality".

greetings

seb0p
HTPC
Kodi: 15.1 Isengard
Mainboard with CPU: MSI E350IA-E45,
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 Kit (KVR1066D3S8N7K2/4G)
HDD: 64GB SSD Samsung MZ-7PC064D
Case: C+ CS-160 Mini-ITX
I am having the same problem with 720p and 480p. In the past, XBMC 12.x would occasionally stutter on .mkv files, but now my entire video collection stutters (.avi, .mkv, .mp4). The stuttering is every 5-7/10ths of a second or so. It's very annoying and it's forcing me to do everything in VLC, which works fine.

The only change has been the update from 12.3 to 13.0. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit, properietary AMD drivers, Radeon HD 5670).

I wish Team XBMC would not remove old release when they add new ones, there's no reason for that and it makes downgrading a real PITA. Sad

Any help most appreciated. Thanks!
I wrote this specifically for AMD based hardware on Gotham, but the XBMC settings should also apply to other GPUs: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192225

Screenshots and detailed instructions included - let me know if it resolves your problems.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-05-17, 22:49)Piers Wrote: I wrote this specifically for AMD based hardware on Gotham, but the XBMC settings should also apply to other GPUs: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192225

Screenshots and detailed instructions included - let me know if it resolves your problems.

Ok now EVERY file stutters. AngryAngryAngry
I am going to try your method.

PS: It's very sad that the new version is not so smooth.
I thought that they even get perfomance boost on the relatively slow pi?
HTPC
XBMC 11, 12, 12-nightly, 12-alpha, 12-beta, 12-RC, 12-final, 12.2/3, 13, 13-nightly, 13-alpha, 13-beta, 13-RC, 13-final, 13.1-beta1 - all of those have produced stable 1080p video (apart from cases of user error or hardware failure). If my (sh!!ty) HP Microserver is capable of playing smoother 1080p video, then there's little reason you shouldn't be able to.

Hopefully you'll find something in that guide which helps - if not then the next step is a debug-log (wiki) and hope that a developer will see this thread.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-05-19, 11:00)Piers Wrote: XBMC 11, 12, 12-nightly, 12-alpha, 12-beta, 12-RC, 12-final, 12.2/3, 13, 13-nightly, 13-alpha, 13-beta, 13-RC, 13-final, 13.1-beta1 - all of those have produced stable 1080p video (apart from cases of user error or hardware failure). If my (sh!!ty) HP Microserver is capable of playing smoother 1080p video, then there's little reason you shouldn't be able to.

Hopefully you'll find something in that guide which helps - if not then the next step is a debug-log (wiki) and hope that a developer will see this thread.

The over and underscan was set correctly.
I did everything within this section "Problem Two - "Video playback is stuttering, jerky, discoloured or similar""

First quick test yesterday went good.
I THINK it was "sync playback to display". But i am not sure since i also made the changes in CCC.

I am going to give it a bigger test tonight or tomorow.

Report is coming

seb0p
HTPC
No debug log (wiki) = no help likely.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-19, 12:03)nickr Wrote: No debug log (wiki) = no help likely.

i am going to try to create a log tonight. Never done that before
HTPC
Well you are here to learn, its not rocket science. Please, make sure you put your log on pastebin or similar.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I had a similar issue on Gotham, I ended up disabling all the settings that sync the playback to the display and that solved my problem. So my settings are under playback.

Adjust display refresh rate to match video - off
Sync Playback to display - off
Av Sync Method - grayed out since sync playback to display is off

Then under system and video output I have
Refresh rate - 60 hz
Vertical Blank sync - always enabled

This is on an HTPC with an amd 64 x2 processor and a nvidia geforce gt 620 graphics card, running out hdmi to a denon 3310 amp out hdmi to a vizio TV.

That fixed my stuttering issue although mine was only occuring every few minutes, but I had another weird issue when i started to fast forward or rewind it would do it in jumps instead of moving at a constant speed and this fixed that issue as well. Hope this helps.
With an nvidia card you should be able to turn "adjust display refresh rate to match video" to on and get good results.
(2014-05-19, 23:15)Aperkins Wrote: ....

Adjust display refresh rate to match video - off
Sync Playback to display - off
Av Sync Method - grayed out since sync playback to display is off

Then under system and video output I have
Refresh rate - 60 hz
Vertical Blank sync - always enabled

Using these settings fixed the problem for me, even for .mkv files that had been stuttering since XBMC 11.x. Oddly, I did not have an option to set the refresh rate, but the projector I use only runs at 60Hz so perhaps XBMC hides that option when there's no choice to be made.

Regardless, thanks for sharing. I'll report back if I encounter further stuttering.

I should note that previously I had "Sync Playback to Display" set to On and the sync method was "Audio Clock". A few days ago, I had noticed my Audio Channels was set to 2.0 and I changed that to 5.1 (I use an anolog tuner/amp w. Dolby 5.1) and that seemed to clear up the suttering for some titles but not others (and not .mkv) and lessen the stuttering, but still distracting enough that I kept using VLC instead.
The refresh rate setting is not under video playback, it is under system >>video output. Glad it fixed the issue It was an issue that bothered me for a while, and I kept switching the settings around and around and nothing helped until I turned them all off. Weird.
(2014-05-23, 00:39)Aperkins Wrote: The refresh rate setting is not under video playback, it is under system >>video output. Glad it fixed the issue It was an issue that bothered me for a while, and I kept switching the settings around and around and nothing helped until I turned them all off. Weird.

Yep. But it wasn't there either. Smile. No matter, though. Smile
enable advanced or expert settings mode in confluence

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham 1080p videos stutter0