**PICS & VIDEO POSTED** Foxconn n-Ti2847-Aeon MQ5-Openelec
Well, I've now got 2 of these Foxy 847s ready to deploy in the field. I'm super stoked about it. I have a ultra-low profile mount for my 60" plasma in my Living Room, and this PC fits between the wall and the TV. I use velcro to mount the PC to the wall, then hang the TV right over it. Makes for a really clean install, and hides the power supply and HDMI cable nicely. The power button is accessible on the side, just in case it needs a hard reboot.

I'm copying the ~ 200 videos over to the 3rd one now, then I'll be setting up the 4th one for my buddy.

His setup will be a bit different. I ordered this low profile 8GB USB stick from Amazon for $8, and he'll be booting Openelec off of it. He has an Unraid server with all his media, so he'll be just using the Foxconn as a XBMC client in his bedroom. He currently uses a Lenovo Q190 (Celeron 887) with XBMC on top of Windows 8 in his living room. I'm curious to see how the 2 boxes compare in the real world, using the same wired network, connected to the same Unraid server.

Tuesday night I'll test his Foxconn here at my house using my 100M wired and wireless G network, and report back how this little white box does without a storage drive installed inside.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2014-05-04, 00:03)noggin Wrote:
(2014-05-03, 23:21)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Awesome. I've been saying for a long time the Celeron SoC are hard to beat for OpenELEC. The C10x7U is even better and will run WMC very well too, not just OpenELEC.

Why can't we get a 2955U box or motherboard other than the Chromebox and the Brix? Surely it's the perfect XBMC HTPC platform?

The only mini-ITX motherboards I've found with that line of processor are industrial boards with the 2980U processor and you could buy 5+ C847 motherboards for the same price.

There are a lot of CPUs I wonder why we don't see them like the e-Trinity CPUs, more Kabini SoC boards (A4-5000 anyone?), Haswell -R (remember there were going to be Haswell Core i3/5/7 embedded motherboards with Iris graphics?), A8-7600, etc., etc., etc.....
(2014-05-05, 01:55)maddog808 Wrote: Tuesday night I'll test his Foxconn here at my house using my 100M wired and wireless G network, and report back how this little white box does without a storage drive installed inside.

Glad this appears to be working out for you.

It will do fine with wired. Wireless is a crap shoot that I would avoid for the permanent setup if possible. The biggest difference from your hard drive sourced box will probably be library scan times.... the network can slow that down a tad.

Any problems with sleep/wake from remote control? I had some issues with my old Foxconn, I never spent much time troubleshooting since its easy enough to hit the power button to use it, and it shuts down itself just fine.
(2014-04-25, 16:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you're planning on leaving the USB stick in there look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-SDC...B005FYNSUA -- it has almost no chance of getting knocked out or falling out on its own and for $3 more it's double the capacity at 16GB.

Thats the one I have. Tiny, sweet little thing, blinks a dull amber and you cant really tell something is plugged in.
So I just got my Foxconn nT-i2847 from Newegg, which is still on sale for $110 with free DVD burner. So far I love it. It even comes with a little 4GB USB drive that probably has drivers, which can easily be reformatted for OE, so you don't even have to add a USB drive to the cost :D

I got 2 GB of RAM for $15, so my total cost (minus a remote) is $125, shipped.
(2014-05-20, 09:52)Ned Scott Wrote: So I just got my Foxconn nT-i2847 from Newegg, which is still on sale for $110 with free DVD burner. So far I love it. It even comes with a little 4GB USB drive that probably has drivers, which can easily be reformatted for OE, so you don't even have to add a USB drive to the cost Big Grin

Posts like these make me want to live in the States.
In Europe the nT-i2847 costs between 170-180 €, that's almost double your total cost. Without DVD burner!
(2014-05-20, 09:52)Ned Scott Wrote: So I just got my Foxconn nT-i2847 from Newegg, which is still on sale for $110 with free DVD burner. So far I love it. It even comes with a little 4GB USB drive that probably has drivers, which can easily be reformatted for OE, so you don't even have to add a USB drive to the cost Big Grin

Welcome to the world of Foxconn NT. I would expect that USB drive included is a bit slow for OE. I am curious if they fixed the BIOS to allow boot from USB3.0 ports? This was a problem on the AMD based NT I bought a few years ago.
Hello, what USB 3.0 drive would you recommend in general. I found the following and its 32gb for only $16 with very good reviews, has anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7PB...ITGFW0OQJA
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
^Not familiar with that brand, but specs looks impressive and price is good.

I think the ADATA Pro series is a solid choice. I have been using an earlier version with very good results.

For OE, you really don't need 32G, 8 or even 4 would suffice.
Netflix on Ubuntu using the "Netflix Desktop" wine setup works pretty well. Fan goes full since it's all software decoding, but it's not that loud even on full blast.
I was able to watch Netflix HD (I watched Firefly) on the C847 in Windows at about 90% CPU. Yeah, it actually works even if it becomes a heater Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
**PICS & VIDEO POSTED** Foxconn n-Ti2847-Aeon MQ5-Openelec0