DVBSky S952 HP NL54 Help Setup!
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a DVDSky S952 and installed it in my NL54.

However it's picking up 0 channels and I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction to finding out the issue.

Current setup:
Tuner in PCI-E 2 slot, not using the additional power supply cable (not 100% sure how to set that up). Could that be the issue?
I have my UK sky satellite cables plugged straight in the back of the Tuner, would I need anything additional here?
I have the latest drivers for the card from: dvbsky.net/Support.html
I have tried scanning using nextpvr and the DVBViewer demo pointing at 28.2 ASTRA 2, EUROBIRD (28.2e) and 28.2 FREESAT ONLY (28.2e) which both give me 0 channels.

If anyone can give me some advise on something I may have missed out or a way to debug why it's getting no channels would be a great help!

Thanks,
Ian
(2014-05-17, 17:41)ianuk2005 Wrote: Tuner in PCI-E 2 slot, not using the additional power supply cable (not 100% sure how to set that up). Could that be the issue?

Most likely. Without that it probably isn't able to power the satellite LNB. You should (hopefully ) have a spare power connector from your main PC power supply that it will connect into.
(2014-05-17, 19:05)mayoman Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 17:41)ianuk2005 Wrote: Tuner in PCI-E 2 slot, not using the additional power supply cable (not 100% sure how to set that up). Could that be the issue?

Most likely. Without that it probably isn't able to power the satellite LNB. You should (hopefully ) have a spare power connector from your main PC power supply that it will connect into.

Thanks for the help I'm going to order some cables for it now, it came with a 6pin to sata cable, which I can't see anywhere to plug it in. On the top bay of my HP there is 4x 4 pin molex connectors connected to the HDD bays, and another 4 pin molex tied up. I'm assuming using either of these (as i only use one for a single HDD) would be fine.

I've not much experience with connecting to a PSU, i'm assuming using these 2 cables would be fine??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330712509897
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330563444043

Would I connect both molex connectors using these cables or just a single one?

Again any help on this is greatly appreciated the last thing I want to do is fry the new card!

Thanks,
Ian
Im interested to know if you get this working. I'm looking to do the same. Hoping to have media portal back end to stream to multiple xbmx boxes using the add on.
(2014-05-17, 19:16)Mark142 Wrote: Im interested to know if you get this working. I'm looking to do the same. Hoping to have media portal back end to stream to multiple xbmx boxes using the add on.

If it's any help I've seen it on the NL40 wiki that the s952 is compatible with it so i'm assuming it's just a matter of getting the very fiddly setup correct Big Grin
If you have a spare Molex connector then something like this is all you need.
Ok i've got the cables today a pci-e 6 pin to 2x 4 pin molex and a 4pin molex splitter.

I've connected it to my card with the 6 pin, plugged in a single molex to the molex splitter. And then finally the molex splitter into the spare molex from the psu.

Is this a correct way to connect it or should I be plugging BOTH molex connectors coming from the tuner into the splitter or would this overheat my card? So far I'm picking up 0 channels, is there an easy way to check if my tuner is receiver power from the psu or if the LNB is powered without additional hardware?
This is getting really frustrating, I've tried connecting both from the splitter to the card. I've tried connecting it to the spare psu molex and also tried attaching it to one that was connected to a spare HDD bay.

No matter what it's not picking up any channels in WMC or using dbViewer at astra 28.2.

As mentioned before the cables for my satellite are both from my sky+HD box which work fine in that.

Can anyone give me any further advice to debug why it's not receiving any channels such as if the power is getting to the tuner correctly or if the LNB is powered?
You can't (AFAIK) incorrectly connect the power leads. If they are connected & your PC doesn't trip out, then that should be ok. I have used that card with Mediaportal and, other than that power cable didn't find anything out of the ordinary with it.

Windows Media Center should pick up the card & scan without much effort, unfortunately though when it doesn't it's not too helpful. I'm not familiar with NextPVR, but since it appears to keep reasonable logfiles, and you have already installed it, it might be worth trying a NextPVR scan and seeing if the logfiles can shed some light on the cause.

If you can't see anything yourself then you could try uploading the files to pastebin or xbmclogs & posting a link in the NextPVR sub forum.
Sub3 (the main NextPVR dev) is pretty active there & generally very helpful.
Eureka!

Looks like the satellite cables where a bit dodgy, plugged them in the sky box and 0 signal. re-stripped them and reattached the connectors and it's now picking up channels in dvbviewer as a test!

Thanks for all the replies and help mayoman really appreciate it.

With the internal power connection would it be ok the way i have it connected e.g.

one of these into my card: http://www.systemagnostic.com/wp-uploads..._pci-e.jpg
with both connectors into this: http://www.yourcablestore.com/assets/ima...plit4p.jpg
which is then connected to the psu molex

Would that be supplying twice as much power and make it more prone to overheating? Should i remove one of the molexes going into the splitter?

Also any recommendations for a windows 7 backend for XBMC, most important factors being wife acceptance e.g. fast channel switches and low maintenance.
You can disconnect one of the Molexes - you may need it again for something else, but it shouldn't matter. The card will only draw as much power as it needs.

None of the windows backends have particularly fast channel switching I'm afraid. Magao has a custom build that speeds things up a bit - see here. As for which backend, well none of them are perfect - all have advantages and disadvantages...

WMC is easiest to setup and maintain & Krustyreturns & Co do a great job of support.
NextPVR has some nice things like series link (so long as you stick to Confluence skin).
Argus is generally described as the most reliable once set up & has good scheduling options, though all of them are outside XBMC (through web browser).
I use Mediaportal - it too has a custom build by DJBlu that automatically downloads EPG from the Sky transmission rather than relying in internet xml downloads. It also keeps up with Skys channel changes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVBSky S952 HP NL54 Help Setup!0