No free NX server anymore
NoMachine has decided to take down the free version.
Great, what do I do now?

FreeNX and 2X are not available for 14:04.

Could anyone suggest a replacement? Or if you have the time to sort out a complete guide to compile from source.
Not too happy, I expected to get the re-installed xbmc box to be up in running with NX in 5 minutes.
Are you on a LAN or going across a WAN connection? If it's the former, why not just forward X if you need a windowed environment, otherwise SSH and CLI should work find, unless your needs are different.
Thanks, when I started to use NX my requirments was multiple, backround & ad-hoc sessions.
I did not manage the ad-hoc part with VNC and the x forwarding is also initiated from from ssh I believe.

EDIT: Both LAN & WAN, but I have vpn if neeed

Since then I have learnt a lot of linux but I still find it handy with e.g a GUI filemanager from time to time.

Just started testing X2Go at least they seem to maintain their packages and the packing is good enough to be "turn key". Don't understand the details but it at least connects.

If it does not workout I should probably resort to just forwarding x like the cool guys Smile

Hm, just realized that I can run an X client on windows that does not need cli initiating.
Don't remember what I did not like with that.

I also found this that looks interesting.
http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/

More comments or suggestions are welcome
What has this to do with xbmc?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is that a polite question or are you the off topic police? I don't believe I am breaking the forum rules.
If I am not, one liners like that could be perceived as off topic or even trolling. Especially since you seem to ask that a lot and still it does not say moderator under you name.

I could agree that the subject should be connected to xbmc. If you would like to discuss the forum rules I suggest you start a thread in the correct sub forum.

However, praxis seem to be to allow semi related linux config questions. Do you agree?

It could be argued that my question is related to building an xbmc based htpc. The specfic need to run a desktop in parallel with the xbmc gui makes the standard ubuntu setup with vino a no go on xbmcbuntu.
Besides XBMCbuntu is an OS not only xbmc.
It's an obvious question and your attitude is rude. nothing to do with xbmc. You don't need nx or any remote desktop solution to run or control xbmc, but if you want to do that vnc should be fine. But if you want to talk remote desktops, go do it somewhere where it is on topic.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, if it was an honest question, not intended to be rude, then I am sorry.
If so you can see my answer on how it relates to xbmc.
I have also explained why I don't want to use VNC. Besides vnc is not considered safe by most people.

I think your own tone kind of indicates that you do some sort of moderation.
The forum is full of questions, guides etc like this. Not many seem to be bothered except you.

If you want to provide help on how to setup multiple ad-hoc vnc sessions in xbmcbuntu that would be on topic, otherwise I don't get what you are after. If you represent the community please indicate that otherwise leave me alone.

Anyway, why not bin this thread and be done with it. I don't need any more help at this time. X2GO is the quickfix if anyone wants to know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No free NX server anymore0