Chromebox vs BayTrail NUC
(2014-05-22, 02:59)Johnhnhn Wrote: Huh1.4 GHz Celeron 2955U vs Celeron N2820.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N2820-vs-I...eron-2955U

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/569/Int...N2820.html

Both CPU comparison sites give the edge to the N2820.

Though those comparison sites look at more than just performance - they take power consumption, operating frequency, cost etc. into account. Whilst these can be relevant, they aren't the same as pure benchmarks. As others have said all that benchmarks measure is the ability to perform benchmarks, but they can be useful. Notably the two sites quoted don't look at GPU performance specifically.

The Haswell 2955U has a significantly more powerful GPU (more execution units) than the Bay Trail N2820 - which is relevant to XBMC performance when it comes to scaling (say SD to HD)
Choose 2955U - it's a real haswell.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-22, 11:39)fritsch Wrote: Choose 2955U - it's a real haswell.

OK, I'm convinced. Just have to wait for ASUS to release the Chromebox in Europe. And hope they won't charge a ridiculous sum vs $, sometimes manufacturers do.
(Atm some shops import them and charge 230€, that's 315$, I wonder if anyone buys them at that price)
I bought a Chromebox and be aware of it because i encountered a wierd HDMI Issue with my Bedroom TV wich ist a old Samsung HD Ready 32" with 1366x768 native Resolution. The Chromebox does not give a signal to the TV. The only way to get it to boot with this tv is to power the Chromebox on, unplug the HDMI Cable and replug it. On my Livingroom TV and my Computer Monitor everything is normal.
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2014-12-07, 02:27)john.cord Wrote: I bought a Chromebox and be aware of it because i encountered a wierd HDMI Issue with my Bedroom TV wich ist a old Samsung HD Ready 32" with 1366x768 native Resolution. The Chromebox does not give a signal to the TV. The only way to get it to boot with this tv is to power the Chromebox on, unplug the HDMI Cable and replug it. On my Livingroom TV and my Computer Monitor everything is normal.

is the ChromeBox feeding it it's native resolution? What happens if you force it to output 720p, vs 768p?
Its on 720p. It wont even show me the boot screen so i dont think it has something to do with the resolution setting in xbmc.
(2014-12-07, 03:32)john.cord Wrote: Its on 720p. It wont even show me the boot screen so i dont think it has something to do with the resolution setting in xbmc.

can you set it to the set's native resolution? even if you don't get the boot screen, the OS forcing a compatible refresh rate might help
I will try but 720p is no Problem for the display with other devices...

Ok, i cant select the displays native resolution, only 720p, 1080p and some lower Res Modes like 480p or 576p...

In fact the box istn even booting connected to the tv with HDMI Switch on and TV on. The only way i can get it to boot is to turn off the HDMI Switch, turn on the box and turn on the hmdi switch after turning on the box. The first screen i get on the tv is the black seabios screen, then the Openelec Splash with a little overscan and then xbmc. On my computer monitor the first screen i see is the Chromebox Developer Bootscreen with the "press space..." Message. This screen isnt displayed on my TV so in my oppionon this has something to do with the Firmware.
(2014-12-07, 14:52)john.cord Wrote: I will try but 720p is no Problem for the display with other devices...

Ok, i cant select the displays native resolution, only 720p, 1080p and some lower Res Modes like 480p or 576p...

In fact the box istn even booting connected to the tv with HDMI Switch on and TV on. The only way i can get it to boot is to turn off the HDMI Switch, turn on the box and turn on the hmdi switch after turning on the box. The first screen i get on the tv is the black seabios screen, then the Openelec Splash with a little overscan and then xbmc. On my computer monitor the first screen i see is the Chromebox Developer Bootscreen with the "press space..." Message. This screen isnt displayed on my TV so in my oppionon this has something to do with the Firmware.

Ah - if you're seeing the Developer screen then you're running with the Google firmware not Matt Devo's standalone firmware, which has improved handling for more displays I believe.
(2014-05-22, 10:33)noggin Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 02:59)Johnhnhn Wrote: Huh1.4 GHz Celeron 2955U vs Celeron N2820.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N2820-vs-I...eron-2955U

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/569/Int...N2820.html

Both CPU comparison sites give the edge to the N2820.

Though those comparison sites look at more than just performance - they take power consumption, operating frequency, cost etc. into account. Whilst these can be relevant, they aren't the same as pure benchmarks. As others have said all that benchmarks measure is the ability to perform benchmarks, but they can be useful. Notably the two sites quoted don't look at GPU performance specifically.

The Haswell 2955U has a significantly more powerful GPU (more execution units) than the Bay Trail N2820 - which is relevant to XBMC performance when it comes to scaling (say SD to HD)

This. In general, I would NEVER use CPUBoss/CPUWorld. I've found these sites to give incorrect info quite a number of times and they're just generic sites. Instead, read the actual review. Here is a Gigabyte Brix (Same thing as a NUC)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8641/gigab...-ucff-pc/5

I've linked the page showing the HTPC results.

Now those results aren't directly transferable over to XBMC as they're in Windows under the Windows 8.1 but they give you an idea of what the unit si capable of. Unless you're using it for 4K video or to watch Live TV you're perfectly fine. If you REALLY WANT, I have a J1900 Baytrail unit. I will attempt to play any file you guys put in here if you want me to. I'm running Ubuntu on the machine though.

I think the Baytrail NUC is good though if you aren't watching livetv, and don't plan on using an advanced scaling option in XBMC that needs the extra GPU power. In general, if you aren't changing any settings on XBMC, and are running it stock it's fine I think. It's if you start using advanced options that you'll run into issues with the GPU.

That said, it's a shame we won't see CherryTrail/Braswell til 2nd half 2015. Those look to be the most ideal in HTPC use until 4K really takes hold.
(2014-12-07, 17:26)noggin Wrote:
(2014-12-07, 14:52)john.cord Wrote: I will try but 720p is no Problem for the display with other devices...

Ah - if you're seeing the Developer screen then you're running with the Google firmware not Matt Devo's standalone firmware, which has improved handling for more displays I believe.

i asked him if that makes a difference and he said no...
(2014-12-07, 19:23)john.cord Wrote:
(2014-12-07, 17:26)noggin Wrote: Ah - if you're seeing the Developer screen then you're running with the Google firmware not Matt Devo's standalone firmware, which has improved handling for more displays I believe.

i asked him if that makes a difference and he said no...

one other possibility is that your TV doesn't support the resolution used for the dev boot screen (1024x768), which leaves it into some sort of "disconnected" state, and that's why you're not getting video on cold boot. if that's the case (and it's purely conjecture), then the standalone firmware might resolve the issue, since the first video mode initialized will be the highest reported supported by the set, rather than forced to 1024x768. But it could also be some HDMI handshaking bug on the part of either your set or Intel's video BIOS
Ok. Will try that.
Today i got my Baytrail NUC (2820). I installed Openelec and connected it to my Bedroom TV. No Problems with this so the Issue is clearly related to the Chromebox. I moved the Chromebox to my Livingroom Setup (Yamaha AVR, HDMI Splitter to TV and Beamer). The Chromebox is displaying on this Setup as it shoud.
John, witch is better to use only XBMC? Chormebox or NUC 2820?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox vs BayTrail NUC0