Linux Solutions Ubuntu 14.04 Receiver HDMI pulseaudio alsa
I had quit some problems and solved most of them:
  • Hardware accelleration (AMD/ATI Radeon 5700)
  • Sound problems:
    • Audio passtrough not working
    • No HDMI support zone 2
    • Cracking
    • Quality loss
    • lag
    • pulse audio

In short use the guide of this forum for hardware acceleration: Linux - Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
Solve audio problems:
Disable pulseaudio and use ALSA (look at my link for explanation)
Solve Receiver (ONKYO tx-sr608) zone 2 no digital audio support:
Output audio also over a analog sound card, so called dualaudio (look at my link for explanation)

I posted a guide to my solutions on the ubuntu forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2225249

I hope this helps some people with the same problems!
Brilliant! I was having the same issues. Thanks very much.
We have all of those in the wiki ... http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio

And concerning the howto: It does not install pulseaudio at all :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I've read the wiki...

What I am looking for is a permanently disabled pulseaudio so that I can launch XBMC using ALSA without using the terminal command in the wiki (my system has to be wife friendly). I also need dual audio output because I am using speakers in two rooms (zone 2 on the Onkyo is analog only). I only saw a method for that using pulse in the wiki.

At the moment, I am still having issues with dual audio output using ALSA. I have added the suggested asound.conf file and confirmed the hardware configs, but ALSA doesn't seem to be reading/using the file. Any suggestions here? I'm running Trusty...

My head has been spinning with this stuff for days now. I would just use OpenELEC, but I need to run a Myth backend as well as Steam. It's a system of many compromises.
Quote:At the moment, I am still having issues with dual audio output using ALSA. I have added the suggested asound.conf file and confirmed the hardware configs, but ALSA doesn't seem to be reading/using the file. Any suggestions here? I'm running Trusty...

Nope - we don't support dual audio from within xbmc, besides going the pulseaudio way - which does not work for passthrough in that dual audio combination, the alsa doubling is a hack and might get you different results - working or non working.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Unfortunately, seeing the DTS-MA light on my receiver gives me great satisfaction. I think I will stick with ALSA for now and try to get this hack working.
1. Permanently disabling pulseaudio can be done by removing it's package.

2. You can set the alsa line in the command to start XBMC, either from an icon or on bootup/X starting (or however you are starting it). I can't remember the exact incantation to put in the .desktop file for an icon, but it's on the forum somewhere...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solutions Ubuntu 14.04 Receiver HDMI pulseaudio alsa0