Stuttering video on Macbook 2006 with Saffire pro 24 audio interface
Hello,
I have quite specific issue and I can't find suitable solution on the forum.
hopefully, someone here will be able to help me out :0
I have white macbook laptop from 2006 (proccessor: 2ghz intel core duo, memory 2GB 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM)
I run OSX server on it (version 10.6.8)

Sound is managed by external audio interface Saffire pro 24 connected via firewire port (400)
My movies and films are stored on an external hard drive (500gb) Seagate connected via usb 2.0

As additional screen for movies I use 40" Samsung Smart tv. I connect via mini dvi adaptor and through HDMI cable to Samsung.

I have set up two profiles for saffire to make it easy to switch between them.
One profile is for Samsung smart tv, I use optical cable from Samsung to Saffire, and then the sound goes to my speakers (Active Fostex near field monitors)

Another profile i use for music and films stored on the hard drive.

I use XBMC Gotham stable release.

Now the problem:
Video stutters all the time, when I wanna watch movies.

I have mostly 1080p movies with 5.1 or 7.1 sound, but I have stereo speakers.

It makes it unviewable.

What I did already.
Dirty regions - tried all 3 settings.
disabled rss feed,
disabled almost all add ons to decrease cpu usage,
Activity monitor in OSx shows that CPU usage for XBMC hardly ever goes over 10%

Tried disabling saffire to see if this is the problem. it got a bit better, but no joy.

copied a movie directly to the hard drive, a bit better, but still no joy.

I can see all proccess on activity monitor, disabled all apps except saffire mix control and xbmc.

Still, stuttering video.

Could you advice me the best audio/video settings for the best performance (lightest fro cpu)
anyone here using saffire, do you know how to set up both to make it works smoothly?

A
One additional info,
In XBMC I can see that the system is capable of playing between 24 to 30 fps.
post debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Here you go...

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=207469
antoher debug with different saffire profile

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=207473
Your mac has an intel gma950 GPU. There is no hardware video decoding support on that. You won't be able to decode 1080p or even 720p content on that mac.

But you can try to disable hw acceleration in system->video->acceleration and then set it to software decode and activate the multithread support (this is all visible if you change the settings level to advanced or expert in the confluence skin). It might have enough power to decode it in software - but i doubt it tbh.

Also it is not the best idea to have h.264 material inside a avi container. Not sure if this is even true (looks like it is an mkv container in reality which is named wrongly?)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2014-05-22, 13:05)Memphiz Wrote: Your mac has an intel gma950 GPU. There is no hardware video decoding support on that. You won't be able to decode 1080p or even 720p content on that mac.

But you can try to disable hw acceleration in system->video->acceleration and then set it to software decode and activate the multithread support (this is all visible if you change the settings level to advanced or expert in the confluence skin). It might have enough power to decode it in software - but i doubt it tbh.

Also it is not the best idea to have h.264 material inside a avi container. Not sure if this is even true (looks like it is an mkv container in reality which is named wrongly?)

this AVI container was done by simple rename, because I couldnt open mkv file on my samsung smart tv when streaming.
renaming alowed smart tv to open it.

So, in other words if disabling hw acceleration wont help, i might have to use dlna streaming and opening movies in the tv?
The reason why i didnt wanted to stream via dlna to my tv, is that adding subtitles without burning, slows the video down a lot. is the any way to add subtitles on the go via dlna witohut suttering?
no clue about dlna

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering video on Macbook 2006 with Saffire pro 24 audio interface1