readbufferfactor = 8?
My RaspPi has been doing some terrible buffering since upgrading to Gotham. I'm on wireless N with a media bridge adapter (so it sees it as a LAN)

Code:
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>8.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>

I would think these settings would be ideal. Am I doing it wrong?
setting <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> means caching to disk. This can be painfully slow on a PIs sdcard and will also be very detrimental to its lifespan.
What about a USB Drive?
Same. Use a cable.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Those settings would work, yes.

If you don't mind replacing the USB drive more often (I have no idea how often, but I've heard of people having to replace heavily used USB boot drives every couple of years before), then a fast USB drive would work. I've done this on my Pi. Just do backups often and be prepared to replace the USB drive completely.

Another alternative would be a small 2.5 mechanical hard drive with a USB interface. That would withstand the abuse a lot more than flash based memory.

However, forgetting cachemembuffersize, you might have luck just with the other two settings. So just throw in:

Code:
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
</network>

and see if that helps. It will at least enable the cache for your local network and fill the cache as fast as it can. The default RAM cache is something like 20 MB, I think, which can often be enough for occasional drops in network connectivity.
If the wireless connection sucks - all the above won't help reliable.

Copy a 1gb file and see which speed you get.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Depends on the issue. If it's the avarage speed, then yeah, there's nothing really you can do to make wifi faster. If it's intermittent interference, which is very common, then that's where these new buffering settings really shine. Smoothing in the occasional dips. No miracles, of course.
Yeah - I know. I implemented one of them :-)
I settled on ONLY

Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
readbufferfactor = 8?0