HD Channels (DVB-T2)
I managed to get a DVBSky T982 card working in my Ubuntu server with HTS Tvheadend (3.5.247~g098b7de~precise). XBMC Gotham 13.0 plays SD channels perfectly, via the TVHeadend HTSP Client (1.9.27), in all my Windows, OS X and ATV2 Devices in the house, but the ATV2 boxes choke on the HD channels. I suspect the format (extract below) of the HD channels is just too rich a profile ([email protected]) for the ATV2 devices, and needs to be reduced down to [email protected] to play nicely.

Has anyone had any joy in getting HD channels to play on an ATV2?
Is it possible to reduce the profile of the video stream via TVHeadend and/or natively on the DVB-T2 card itself?

Any help or input would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Fergus.

Code:
Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=4, N=28
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 088 pixels
Original height                  : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Original display aspect ratio    : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Language                         : English
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
No you can't change it. Digital pvrs work by recording what the broadcaster sends.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Nick. I've been looking at the Transcoding option in TVHeadend, but I've not got it working on my Linux server just yet (although that may be more about my skills than the stability of the experimental/alpha feature).
AFAIK the raspberry pi is the only low cost box capable of Freeview HD playback (at least until they release the Amazon Fire TV over here).
Transcoding is also a CPU intensive process - personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of grunt under the hood of the Ubuntu server.
Transcoding in tvheadend is very experimental and it's unlikely you'll get it to work since it depends on specific versions of ffmpeg. There is a new way of doing it in a proposed PR but it hasn't been merged yet and so far it only works for HTTP streaming.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Channels (DVB-T2)0