Audio problem
I'm using XBMC ver. 12.2. Lately I've noticed static in the background quite often while I'm watching a saved video file from my computer. I had the problem just now and I stopped XBMC to watch the entire file using VLC and the audio problem was gone. That leads me to believe that it is specific to XBMC. I tested 3 more files before making this post, two were .MP4 and the third was a .MKV file. One of the MP4 files worked fine there was no static, the other two files both had the same problem and they both work fine in VLC. How do I clean this up?
1. XBMC 12.2 is getting a bit old... given the changes in the audio system for Gotham, you'd probably be wise to upgrade as a first step, see if the problem is still there.

2. Did the same files used to play properly before? Or are these new ones?

3. You'll need to describe a lot more about your setup - and the files themselves. What's the audio coded in; how many channels; is there a pattern there; what's your audio output; is VLC using the same output; what are your volume/audio settings (downmix/normalisation, etc.); is this a passthrough audio issue to an external decoder... and so on.

The description of "static in the background" immediately makes me think of hardware and connections, so you'd need to be certain that VLC is using identical outputs before concluding that it's XBMC. I'd also investigate what's changed - if these are new files, and old ones play okay, then is it something to do with the way they're encoded; if these are old files that used to play okay, then what's changed (HW or SW).

MKV and MP4 don't tell you about the audio streams themselves, unfortunately - those are the containers, the boxes into which the video and audio streams are placed. There could still be a variety of different underlying audio formats (MP3, AAC, AC3...) in those, especially in MKV.

I'd look to getting a debug_log (wiki) and run media info on the files as a starting point, plus work through how the audio gets from file to application to speakers.
Okay, I'm not sure but I think I fixed the audio issue by upgrading to ver. 13.0. I tested a couple of videos and I don't hear the static anymore. Now it's created two new problems. 1. I can't remember how to set it so that it always plays in fullscreen mode without the black bars. 2. When I try to put my custom backgrounds and screensaver in I no longer have the option to go into my computer and find the file. The only options are a handful of presets and a ton of dead ends.

Ok, I figured out the slideshow screensaver so that problem is fixed. I had to download an app. I still can't figure out how to change the background image to something other than what is in the Xbmc database. I used to be able to go into my computer and use any image I wanted to. I can't do that now.

Actually, this created a whole slew of new problems. Over 200 of the movies I had previously cataloged using The Movie DB aren't even recognized. I already also manually corrected an additional 200+ that were added to my library without descriptions or artwork.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio problem0