Win Instruction for using LCD smartie and iMON LCD/VFD displays
Because the XBMC on iMON Display plugin is no longer develop and it is a bit buggy I thought I give LCD Smartie a go and try if it can be configured with the iMON displays. It actually works pretty well although for example the codec icons doesn't work. There's little bit work in seting it up so I though I write some istructions if anyone else wanna try it. I have iMON LCD display but I think this works also with the VFD display if you download the correct driver. Following instructions are tested and should work for both XBMC Gotham and Kodi Helix.

Installing:

1. Download LCD Smartie latest beta from http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/smartied.htm
2a. If you have iMON LCD display, Download iMON display driver modified_iMON_OEM_LCD_dll.zip from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5q7z57zmyczc9...k6NRa?dl=0
2b. If you have VFD from an Antec Fusion (with the 4-pin FDD power connector that doesn't work with iMON manager) you don't need to download the driver file (Thanks nedge2k Smile)
3. Download XBMC for LCDSmartie plugin from http://xbmc4lcdsmartie.codeplex.com/
4. Unzip LCD Smartie wherever you want
5. Unzip iMON_OEM_LCD.dll to \lcd_smartie_v5.4.2.92 Beta\displays\
6. Unzip XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll and Newtonsoft.Json.dll to \lcd_smartie_v5.4.2.92 Beta\plugins\
7. Copy SG_VFDU.dll from \SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\ folder to \lcd_smartie_v5.4.2.92 Beta\ and rename it to SG_VFD.dll

Setting up:

1. In iMON manager activate the display plugin mode and set the frontview start up to always and disable everything in automode tab. Also disable the date in clock section. I noticed that if date is displayed, the iMON manager steals the display from LCD Smartie quite often.
2. Enable 'Allow programs on this system to control XBMC/Kodi' in XBMC/Kodi's System Settings
3. Add following to file LCDSmartie.exe.config right after the first line ”<configuration>”

<appSettings>
<add key="XBMC4LCDSmartie.Host" value="127.0.0.1"/>
<add key="XBMC4LCDSmartie.Port" value="9090"/>
<add key="XBMC4LCDSmartie.RefreshInt" value="300"/>
<add key="XBMC4LCDSmartie.XBMCTestMode" value="TCP"/>
</appSettings>

DO NOT CHANGE the port 9090 even though you use different port in XBMC because XBMC for LCDSmartie uses direct tcp connection to JSON interface.

4a. Start LCD Smartie and go to setup. In display settings click the plugin tab and if your display is LCD select iMON_OEM_LCD.
4b. If you have the VFD from an Antec Fusion (with the 4-pin FDD power connector that doesn't work with iMON manager), you can use imond.dll (Thanks nedge2k Smile)
5. In screen tab select the LCD size. Modes 1x16 and 2x16 work. I prefer 1x16 because then the text has better readability from distance but if you like two lines of information then select 2x16.
6. Restart LCD Smartie and adjust display contrast to desired level.
7. Now you should see text in your display send by LCD Smartie.

Configuration:

In LCD Smartie you can configure different screens that change periodically. In the left side of the setup window you can find various built-in commands that can be used to show for example RSS feeds, system info etc. Just enable as many screens you want and start making your iMON display the information you wish.

You can get various information from XBMC using XBMC for LCDSmartie plugin, read the plugins readme.txt for detailed information. For example the function $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,2,2,) fetches what is currently played. I found that this doesn't always fetch all the information that I desire, for example the channel when watching live tv. But no worries. The function $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,3,<InfoLabel>,) can fetch any InfoLabel you want so you can actually customize screens based on different content (tv, music, movies, etc.). Examples:

$dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,3,MusicPlayer.Artist,) - $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,3,MusicPlayer.Title,)

This diplay shows currently playing music information in format ”Artist” - ”Title”.

If you want now playing info to be present all the time just customize a screen for it and make it stcky in the LCD Smartie setup. In action tab you can create conditions when a certain screen is called for example if music is playing. Use function $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,2,1,) to fetch the contect type that is playing and make the condition. Examples:

If $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,2,1,) = song Then GotoScreen(2).

Now screen 2 is activated if music is playing on XBMC.

If $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,2,1,) = channel Then GotoScreen(3)

Screen 3 is activated when watching live TV.

If you make now playing screens sticky and want the screens to start rotate periodically when nothing is played you can make condition

If $dll(XBMC4LCDSmartie.dll,4,,) = -888 The GotoScreen(1)

Now when nothing is played it goes to first screen and start rotate the unsticky screens (if the screen 1 is not sticky).

As you can see configurating LCD Smartie takes a little time but it's not so complicated when you get a hang of it. The result is quite good and you can really make your iMON screen to show exactly what you want. Unfortunately the iMON manager still steals the screen sometimes and then it displays the clock. This usually happens when LCD Smartie displays stationary text. But after the information changes, LCD Smartie takes control again so this is not a very big problem.

Feel free to ask if you have any problems in installation or configuration. Enjoy!
Step 2 keeps giving an error. Maybe their server is screwed. Can u upload the file pls.

Fatal: ./cache/ is NOT writable.
Yeah, the forum link doesn't seem to work. Here you go

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mv2y641oeubst...F79x9WRsda
Thanks for that but I cant get it to load the xbmc4lcdsmartie.dll

ive tried n tried. Using win7 ultimate
found my problem. is the way win7 64bit handles dll loading apparently.

there is a modified dnbridge.dll for download in their forum.

http://forums.lcdsmartie.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2011

post 21 has a working dnbridge.dll
How to disable the date in clock section?

My imon VFD always show date.

LCDSmartie seems to work.

(2014-08-20, 21:53)grzesiek811 Wrote: How to disable the date in clock section?

My imon VFD always show date.

LCDSmartie seems to work.

I have the same problem. LCDSmartie seems to work. But i don't see anything in my vfd except date and clock. Do you solve this and how if you did?
My system is Windows 8,1 x64, XBMC v 13.2 Gotham, Imon (vfd) version 8.12..
I didn't. On mediaportal imon VFD works perfecly.
Sorry, haven't check the forum for a while.. What version of the iMon manager you use? I have 8.12.1202 and in the date format section I have the option "Do Not Display". Of course it may be that the VFD-version is different, I have LCD.
I have VFD. Maybe it's different.
Okey, that sucks. Imon manager is very crappy software, I wish Soundgraph would release drivers that allow to use displays directly but no...

But I'm still very happy with the LCDsmartie&imon&xbmc -combo, it has been working quite well for these past months with my iMon LCD.
(2014-11-23, 14:57)Tuomio Wrote: Okey, that sucks. Imon manager is very crappy software, I wish Soundgraph would release drivers that allow to use displays directly but no...

But I'm still very happy with the LCDsmartie&imon&xbmc -combo, it has been working quite well for these past months with my iMon LCD.

Hi, just to quick (and dirty) questions for clarification:

- Is there a way to automatically turn off the display when palying videos?
- No graphic equalizer during music playback right?

Cheers,

Alex
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
In case you found useful my work, feel free to offer me a cappuccino!
(2014-11-24, 14:15)axlt2002 Wrote: Hi, just to quick (and dirty) questions for clarification:

Cheers,

Alex

LCD smartie doesn't have the full control of the display so you can't set it to shut off display directly. I have created dummy program window using AutoHotkey which I can start with the push of my remote and the program is set in iMon manager to turn off the display. But hey, actually you could make script in XBMC that would start the same dummy program when video playback is started and yes, then it would be automatic. I have to try that when I have time. I usually wanna shutdown the display completely only when watching movies through projector and need the room to be fully dark so manual shut down is actually better for me...

LCD smartie doesn't seem to have any graphic equalizer plugins so it's a no go for that. You could make it by yourself if you have the programming skillsSmile
(2014-11-24, 16:09)Tuomio Wrote:
(2014-11-24, 14:15)axlt2002 Wrote: Hi, just to quick (and dirty) questions for clarification:

Cheers,

Alex

LCD smartie doesn't have the full control of the display so you can't set it to shut off display directly. I have created dummy program window using AutoHotkey which I can start with the push of my remote and the program is set in iMon manager to turn off the display. But hey, actually you could make script in XBMC that would start the same dummy program when video playback is started and yes, then it would be automatic. I have to try that when I have time. I usually wanna shutdown the display completely only when watching movies through projector and need the room to be fully dark so manual shut down is actually better for me...

LCD smartie doesn't seem to have any graphic equalizer plugins so it's a no go for that. You could make it by yourself if you have the programming skillsSmile

Thanks for your feedback Tuomio! Much appreciated!

Would you be so kind to explain a little bit more that approach to turn-off the display? Can you post the window program you have created? I do not understand what it does... Confused Is it just a dummy exe that does nothing and used only to trigger the iMonManager to turn off the display?

Thanks a lot!
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
In case you found useful my work, feel free to offer me a cappuccino!
Okey, here you go.

Download all four files from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5q7z57zmyczc9...k6NRa?dl=0 and copy them to c:\scripts\.

I made the exe-files using AutoHotkey and compiled them as executables so you don't have to install AHK. The imon_display_off.exe is just a dummy program with window minimized so it doesn't do anything by itself. Go to iMon manager and frontview settings and set this to the list of apllications to turn off the display. Now the iMon manager turns off the display when this exe is running.

The other file turn_imon_on_off.exe you can map for example to your remote. It simply runs imon_display_off.exe if it's not running and kills it if it is running. Lastly it focuses the xbmc if window focus is lost during the process. Now you can turn display on/off running this file. I write the scripts at the end of the message if you want to alter them or compile yourself using AutoHotkey.

To automate the process, first download and install XBMC plugin Callbacks2 from https://github.com/KenV99/service.xbmc.c...llincluded. With this plugin you can run scripts automatically in various scenarious and importantly in our case when playback is started/stopped. Go to Callbacks2 settings, the plugin can be found services section. In playback tab set the imon_auto_off.py as python script "on Playback Started" section and imon_auto_on.py "on Playback Stopped" section. Lastly go to parameters tab and select the Media type parameter to be passed on to python. These scripts check the playback type and if it is not music, then automatically execute turn_imon_on_off.exe.

Now the iMon display goes dark when video is played but stays on if music is played. I just tried these and they seems to be working well but I have no long time experience Smile

AHK scripts:

imon_display_off.ahk:

------------------------------
#NoTrayIcon

Gui, Add, Text,, LCD Display Off

Gui, Minimize

turn_imon_on_off.ahk:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#NoTrayIcon

Process, Exist, imon_display_off.exe

If (Errorlevel = 0)
{
Run, imon_display_off.exe, C:\scripts
}

Else
{
Process, Close, %ErrorLevel%
}

Sleep, 500

WinActivate, XBMC