Subtitles search too slow
Hi,

I am new to xbmc. I installed OpenELEC on raspberry pi. I am using xbmc Gotham with opensubtitles.org service and search is way too slow (15 minutes, after selecting wrong subtitle had to wait more 15 minutes so was already 30 minutes into the movie).

I would like to know if there is some way to speed up searches. Also manual search seems to work very slow. Maybe it could just return first n items of search as way to speed thing up. Also could be nice to allow to search subtitles before starting movie download.

I like xbmc very much and find it great. Would also like to contribute to it's development one day.
I got a Pi the other day and figured openelec was the best xbmc alternative but I'm also experiencing extremely slow subtitle load times, both for finding subtitles and downloading the selected one. I've been running xbmc on an OUYA prior to this with xbmc 12.0 using the old subtitle add-on and I've never had these slow load times in that setup. I've always used opensubtitles.org and subscene.com.
I'm not seeing this. Whenever I've downloaded subs on Pi (using opensubtitles add-on) it has completed in seconds.

Perhaps explain what the movie was, and what add-on was configured when you had the delay.
Do all video have the same delay or are some faster?

Can you capture a debug enabled log file when doing this?
I'm very new to OpenELEC but I'll try to figure out how to debug later today.
It happened with two different media sources (I only tried two), True Detective S01E08 and Cosmos S01E11, and it happens from both opensubtitles.org and subscene.com. I didn't try other services though but seeing they both normally work fast I didn't think that the problem is service related.
My Pi is on ethernet and my internet is fiber 100/100.

Edit: Can long folder names be a cause? E.g. Cosmos.A.Spacetime.Odyssey.S01E11.jadajada. I've never had troubles with that prior to Gotham though.
I just tried with Podnapisi as well, the same delay, I count to around 13 seconds before I see the list of available subtitles. I've done a debug capture:

http://pastebin.com/6ZLuxYbJ

I hope this can help.
The search is fast. The import loading is too slow in RPI.
In my addon (super subtitles) I have to remove the "requests" library as import/dependecy.
Because of the 30second load time on rasbpmc.
After I removed every extra library, my script was loaded about 5-6s on rpi. (the search took about 500ms-1s)

I can't find my first measurement, but I hope this is useful too: http://pastebin.com/sEUh1da5
These aren’t the droids you’re looking for...
@fape88 I tried your service but I had at least 20s before seeing listed subtitles.

I've now tried all 3 XBMC distributions for the Pi and I've had better results with raspbmc and xbian but I'm still seeing 7-8 seconds before available subtitles are even listed, so I guess this is because of the RPi's limited hardware. This might seem like trivialities but when you have some obscure movie/TV show and need to try out several different subtitles it is not that funny. I got the Pi for free so it doesn't really matter to me cause I'll keep using my OUYA, but it's unfortunate when everything else works so good. Video playback is flawless and the UI is fast.
I am experiencing the same issue. subtitle loading is very slow. running openelec 4.07 in my RPI. Movies are streamed from local network, trying to fetch subs from Opensubtitles.org or podnapski...
any thoughts ln this to point me in the rignt direction?
As I said in my previous post, I didn't have any success with any of the XBMC dists. Additionally I tried with different SD cards I had lying around which I measured write and read speeds on before installing XBMC, but not even with the fastest sd card I saw any difference. Oh and I also had the opportunity to try it with another rpi but it made no difference. The only thing I haven't tried is running xbmc within a full linux dist like raspbian, but I believe that'll only make it worse. The raspberry pi has many useful purposes, being a media center/player isn't one of them.
Im having the exact same issue with painfully slow subtitle searches.... has anybody figured anything out yet?

All I can add so far is that setting the subtitle download location to various spots (ie network drive, rpi itself, and so on) doesnt do anything different.
Hi,

Same issue here, with an OSMC distribution running on Raspberry Pi B and playing videos from a USB hard drive.
Searching subtitles from any source is slow as hell and sometimes it doesn't even display the subtitle i downloaded (playing another local one instead). Not sure if it is related...

Is there any log i can enable to have a trace of what is going on during the waiting time ? This can't be a simple network issue, downloading from peer to peer is really fast.
OK maybe the cause of our issues is different, but i found out what was causing mine.

I had the "tvsubtitles.net" service as the default source for subtitles. After adding some logs in the code of the service, i saw that it was using the BeautifulSoup library to parse the HTML code of the website and that each call to this library's parsing features was running for 5 minutes. Maybe the code could be improved to speed it up, but i just switched to another subtitles source and it's much faster now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles search too slow1