Do you backup your data
So RAID 5 support 1 drive failure and RAID 6 supports 2? Sounds good to me. I'm not going to worry about backup. They're only movies. It's not a total loss especially since I own the originals.
I think it's going to be a long time yet before downloaded or streaming media becomes the norm, for movies. still way to much bandwidth problems that need sorting.
I guess though one of the biggest questions is how safe is your backup? I had a friend who had 2 netgear nas devices both running in raid 5. At first I he only had 1 and I said what happens if that completely blows? So he got a 2nd and ran some sort of script so the it would mirror the 1st...great he thought until he had a power surge and fried both nas box drives. He couldn't even claim warranty for the drives.

So think about UPS as well (that would have saved my friends drives)

I personally have 2 old win 7 boxes. Both mini tower Dells I bought of ebay for about £30 each. I am using at the moment 3 x 2tb drives in both boxes with no raid. Each night the 1st runs a scheduled script to start the 2nd box and to sync any changes. This way in my mind I am not loosing an extra drive to raid (or extra financial cost) as if 1 fails I've still got the backup drive, don't have to worry about rebuilding raid 5 or getting the correct drive type/capacity etc

Cheers
Confusion is just a state of mind.
(2014-05-27, 22:20)GAMER101 Wrote: That clears it up. Thanks. But hard drives have a shelf life. What if say your hard drive is full and it decides to die in 15 years and you go get your backup hard drive and it doesn't work. How do you remember what was on that drive so you can recover what was lost.

The way I initially planned on doing it is use 50GB bluray discs and as I fill my server or RAID I'll burn the new data to the discs and put them away in a DVD binder. If there are movies on it I'll write movies, if there are TV shows I'll write Name of Show plus whatever seasons are on it. Then after 15-20 years I'll re copy them onto new media. If I lose a few bits of information on some discs it's fine with me. As long as it's not the whole collection. For extremely important data such as pictures, home videos, rare songs I'll copy onto the mdiscs. Only problem with this method is that is extremely time consuming and I have more stuff to do than be at a computer all day burning discs. I do expect a higher capacity disc will be made by then anyway.

well sure hard drives just like anything else has a shelf life however i am banking on within 5, 10, 15 years there will newer larger capacity drives out that i can buy and switch to and i may get about 4 years if i am lucky out of a hard drive that is in a running machine my thinking is that i would hopefully get more than that out of a drive that is only turned on for about 1 hour per week

It is possible but highly unlikely that both drives will die at the same time in which case one dies i just go and buy another drive and copy across the content and then that new drive has a new shelf life so at any given time as long as i have at least one copy of the content i can make a backup with a newer drive that may even by then have better technology that increases life cycle

see whilst i understand your concern with the drive deteriorating after several years who knows what will come out between now and then technology is always changing and improving for all we know in that time hard drives will all be some for of SSD / Nand chip with no moving parts it is inevitable that eventually SSD will be able to have larger capacity storage just like Mechanical drives started off super small and now massive and still increasing

But hey i'll tell you what lets meet back here in 15 years and see how things are going with the drive Smile lol

Same time same place see you in 2029 Wink

(2014-05-28, 09:00)mrhyde1969 Wrote: I think it's going to be a long time yet before downloaded or streaming media becomes the norm, for movies. still way to much bandwidth problems that need sorting.

yeah especially here in australia our internet sucks and the government is determined to make it worse Sad Angry
Do you guys trust the M-Disc lasting for decades? I'm thinking about using it for my irreplaceable data. I have some rare songs that if I lost I couldn't get back. It would also be nice to backup my home videos and pictures on them too. But I don't trust them lasting decades like they say. It sounds like a lot of hype to me.
(2014-05-29, 21:31)GAMER101 Wrote: Do you guys trust the M-Disc lasting for decades? I'm thinking about using it for my irreplaceable data. I have some rare songs that if I lost I couldn't get back. It would also be nice to backup my home videos and pictures on them too. But I don't trust them lasting decades like they say. It sounds like a lot of hype to me.
Nothing lasts. I have all my drives backed up with usb drives with the knowledge that in five years time I am going to buy a whole new set and back up again. The cost of drives are so cheap these days the cost is negligible to the chance of loosing everything and having to spend hours upon hours of re-ripping everything. don't forget even cd's and blu rays will degrade over time.
(2014-12-16, 12:47)Talleyr Wrote: *SPAM*

Leaving aside your obvious commercial plugging... it helps here how? If it's designed for MSPs, I struggle to see how that scales to a single person with a library of movies in their home, especially if your DC is on the other side of the planet...

Your cloud backup (Shared Storage Backup Plan) also just quoted me US$83k to back up my 12TB for a year. Hmmm, a bit more than AWS... maybe I've missed something...
I have an 18TB DIY NAS here. I didn't bother with RAID. Extra trouble, no extra value. It's a singular library of files, so RAID not necessary.

For backup, I do things a little differently. I have at the moment about 5 TB of actual data on the NAS, so I have 2x 6TB drives. I rsync all my data onto one weekly and it goes into a fireproof lockbox under the bed. The other gets rsynced monthly and goes into a fireproof box in my mothers basement 10 miles away. When I get more than 5.5TB of data, I will get another set of 6TB drives and continue the process. No need having more backup drive space than you have of actual data(minding to not fill more than 80%).

Remember the 3 rules of backup:

1) RAID is NOT a backup
2) Only 1 backup means no backup
3) Only onsite backup means no backup

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you backup your data0