Android Shutdown Button?
Hi All,

I'm quite new to XBMC and have a quick question?

I've been testing which o/s I should go with for a new HTPC and decided to go android. The only thing I have notice is on the android XBMC is when I go to shutdown XBMC it doesn't give you the option to shutdown the device only get and exit button which exits back out to the android O/S.

Is there any way to add this additional button so I have the option to either shutdown the device or use the existing exit button if I need to use other apps/programs on my device?

I'm not sure if this has been answered before as I can't find anything on here regarding this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Standard apps on Android devices do not have permission to instigate a Shutdown or a Reboot. I'm not sure if it's possible on a rooted device, but I imagine it's unlikely that XBMC will have this option on Android at any point.

Android devices and HTPCs tend to be extremely low power devices - may I ask why you would ever want to actually shut it down completely?
Thanks for you reply airyphary.

The reason I would want to shut it down is I don't really see the need to leave it on all day whilst I'm at work or overnight when it wouldn't be used and the HTPC sitting there using power for the sake of it even though it's low power.

What O/S are you running your XBMC on?

The main reason I want to use Android x86 is from testing other O/S a lot of the video add-ons are incompatible. I would also would like to have the functionality of accessing websites, email and other android apps. Whilst mainly I will be using XBMC I would like the option to shutdown the HTPC from XBMC or exit the XBMC and then use the android o/s. I'm probably being to picky

I wasn't sure if there was a file that could be edited to allow this option?
I run XBMC on Android, although I have to admit that I use next to zero add-ons - I have films and TV shows on a NAS and XBMC serves as a front-end for them, and as a very nice UPnP server, with the occasional trip to YouTube. (I also use XBMC on Linux elsewhere in the house, but again - no add-ons to speak of).

If your box is rooted, or can be rooted, then there are apps available whose sole purpose is to Shutdown an Android device. You're probably aware that you can access regular Android apps through the Programs option of XBMC, so in theory you could access the Shutdown app straight from XBMC and presumably this would shut your device down as required (I haven't tested this). Better still, you can add Android apps as Favourites, enabling you to access the Shutdown app even quicker.
Thanks for your suggestions

Cool, I have a about 4 add-ons for streaming TV shows and movies that I don't have locally stored on the hdd in the HTPC. I'm pretty much using XBMC as a front end as it's great and love the way it adds the poster art etc to each film/TV Show.

I do know there is a program menu but never thought of accessing the apps through XBMC. I have hidden the option on the main menu bar but I shall re-enable and see if I like it that way and I shall probably rarely need to go in the android o/s if I like it.

I'm probably going to invest in a remote maybe an air remote and see what the power off button does. I also need to test the XBMC remote which is on google play onto my phone and see if that allows me to power down the device.

I find exiting out of XBMC and then pulling the menu down from the top of the android desktop and then selecting power off a bit of a pain. However I shall have a look it if I can root my device and try another option. I was hoping there was going to be some sort of code to add to make the button visible maybe that will come in time as XBMC gets more developed.

I suppose the only other option is to leave the device powered on 24/7
Get one of those apps from the Google Play store that are for phone users who want an extra app icon in order to lock/sleep from the app screen. Then in XBMC you can see that app from the Program add-ons menu, and you can even set it as a home screen button by making it a favorite in some skins, such as the Amber skin.
hi,

on rooted android device xbmc can reboot or shutdown box . i'm using SPMC (a fork of xbmc by ther team to android) and it have all the option in the shutdown menu.
hello,
I've resumed this post in order to ask if there are any update in order to have the full menu (exit, suspend, reboot) when you press the KODI Shutdown button.
my desire is to be able to suspend the device.

Cheers,
Luigi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown Button?0