Req Dynamic Range Compression Audio
Well we meet again my own post .... here with an update! ....

"Hey. I was wondering if any of you messed with  LADSPA  compressor or know what one of these control params is best for 'night mode'.  Although my setup has changed here at the house I don't feel like the setting "control=1,1.5,401,-30,20,5,12" is working or aggressive enough  ... I also wonder how I can test to make sure its even working at all .. maybe set  Amplitude (dB) to something low or high ? 

reference: 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E1xA...29cfoe74vw
http://digitalsoundandmusic.com/7-1-10-d...rocessing/ 
http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.pdf
It's all very simple: I am asking for a feature that limits the top and the bottom to the audio.
Say I want to limit the bottom to 50db so that I don't miss out on the whispers and limit the top to 70db so the neighbors are not a part of my Marvel movies explosions.
That's it. That's all. Limit the top decibels and the bottom decibels.
Movies are made for the big theater that all have agreed to the huge decibel experience. But at home, the same decibels are intrusive to the neighbors or even to people in another room.
Call it what you want to "Limiter" or whatever but that is what I want the feature to do and I think lots of people would welcome an audio limiter.
Don't dismiss me and tell me to adjust my tv or my sound system or move my speakers. I'm asking for a feature incorporated into the Kodi player to limit the top and the bottom decibels so I don't get an explosion of sound that wakes up the neighbors.
It might even save a lot of marriages where one sleeps and the other watches movies.
(2014-06-07, 18:16)FernetMenta Wrote: I should know because I have written the new audio engine and implemented this.

Hi,

it's been a while since that post but your last visit was yesterday, so chances are good you read my questions :-)

Almost everywhere online there's the recommendation to lower the volume while amplifying it, to achieve proper DRC? Why is that? Can't I just amplify and lower the output of my amp instead? Or is the integrated limiter only working when lowering the volume? And: What kind of limiter is there active? Is it peak or true peak and at which dB is it limiting?

Thank you very much in advance :-)
Ah, and right now, after testing a few hours, I adjusted like that:

Volume -6
Volume Amplification +9
Center-Mix +4

But: Why is it, that I have to amplify more then I regulate the volume down? Should'nt it be as loud or even louder than before amplifying and regulation the exact same amount down?
Oh, I forgot: I am jusing downmix to 2.0 within KODI and a stereo amp with two bookshelf speakers via TOSLINK connected to my TV. And I use 5.1 sources.
I just tested a bit with and without volume adjustment in addition to volume amplification. It seems that the limiter is active even without reducing the volume too. I think, the possibility to reduce the volume is to make it more convenient to switch between multiple sources like TV vs KODI and their very different loudness? And I also guess that the limiter integrated within KODI is "just" a peak limiter so true peaks are not covered? Then I thought, to just set the volume to -3 dB should give enough headroom to cover for true peaks, hm? Are my guessings/conclusions right?
(2023-02-10, 12:41)almosely Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 18:16)FernetMenta Wrote: I should know because I have written the new audio engine and implemented this.

Hi,

it's been a while since that post but your last visit was yesterday, so chances are good you read my questions :-)

Almost everywhere online there's the recommendation to lower the volume while amplifying it, to achieve proper DRC? Why is that? Can't I just amplify and lower the output of my amp instead? Or is the integrated limiter only working when lowering the volume? And: What kind of limiter is there active? Is it peak or true peak and at which dB is it limiting?

Thank you very much in advance :-)

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. You should be aware that DRC reduces audio quality and is something you don't want to engage in normal situations. DRC is usefull to avoid loud noise i.e. in action scenes when watching TV in the night.
Internally audio is calcualted with a scale from 0.0 (lowest possible noise) to 1.0 (highest possible noise). In general the various audio sources assure that the entire scale is used for best quality. With volume amplification AE moves the noise floor from 0.0 in derection of level 1.0. (it is not just a peak limiter but looks for the loudest sample withing a given timeframe and ajusts attenuation accordingly). Assume you have increased volume amplification as much that very low noise results into values of around 0.5. The limiter guarantees that max never goes beyond 1.0. Means that that the difference beween the lowest noise and loudest sample is now 0.5.
Quote:Can't I just amplify and lower the output of my amp instead?

DRC only only works if you increase volume applification and lower output at you amp. It you reduce volume in Kodi, you directly work against what volume applification does.
I want to achieve a gentle and not stressful listening volume. For my, and the taste of my wife, the dynamic range of all movies and series is way too big. We always use the nightmode built within our tv and a modus called srs trudialogue so that everything is equally loud with no regard what we are watching. But with the switch to an external amp and bookshelf speakers now everything is way too loud and way too quiet the same time (too big dynamic range). Our tv does not filter the toslink output, only the built in speakers. So I have to manage that somehow. Then I found out about the volume controls within KODI.

I even use the EBU R 128 plugin of foobar2k to normalize stereo audio streams. That works sometimes a bit extreme at quiet situations but all in all it does what I want.

Last time I went into a cinema (star wars 9) I had to put handkerchiefs into my ears to avoid pain. Even with that it was still way too loud.

Yeah, I figured that out too (I guessed, at least): Turning the volume down is a shifting. Then amplifying the volume is a shifting back. So, that's not what I want. I want the loudest moments stay the same but make the quiet scenes louder. So, just applying volume amplification seems to be what I want - with a plus at the center-mix of course.
And I noticed, that the sound quality stays a lot better if only volume amplification is applied instead of both, volume decreasing combined with volume amplification. Last one makes everything a bit dull.
But one question remains. There is still the possibility of intersample clipping when applying volume amplification right? Therefore I asked about the dB where the limiter is working. I don't know right now what would be a safe upper limit. But with true peak limiter I know that -1 dB is quiet alright (apple music uses the same).
(2023-02-10, 18:05)almosely Wrote: But one question remains. There is still the possibility of intersample clipping when applying volume amplification right? Therefore I asked about the dB where the limiter is working. I don't know right now what would be a safe upper limit. But with true peak limiter I know that -1 dB is quiet alright (apple music uses the same).

To avoid ISC set volume in Kodi to approximately -1 db (one step down from 0 db). You were right, limiter is working at 0 db.
Then set desired volume at your amp.
Hmmmm, are you married or still available? Hi, hi!!! ;-) Thank you very much for that quick informations and, even more, for that nice function within KODI - it's a real life-saver for us!
Amen brother. I feel exactly the same way. It's bad enough when using on the TV in my living room, which is only hooked up to an old boombox for audio. We have to watch movies remote control in hand at all times.
But in the bedroom, I'm using headphones. The music and efx sounds are loud enough to blow out one's eardrums.
Then in the next scene the characters will be whispering.
It is very frustrating.
Would love an easier way to deal with this.
(2023-02-10, 17:55)almosely Wrote: Last time I went into a cinema (star wars 9) I had to put handkerchiefs into my ears to avoid pain. Even with that it was still way too loud.
Yup. Same here. I make sure I always have pieces of tissue that I can wad up and stuff in my ears.
Painful, makes me not want to go the theater anymore. Undecided

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dynamic Range Compression Audio2