New pivos box announced.
Spec sheet
should be amused by these specs ? Confused

not fully...

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
WTH is TOFU? Is it their own flavor of XBMC on Android or something?

Dual core/ 1GB Memory...... MEH!
Price?

They took to long to release. It might be a competent product, but the delay caused many to move onto other options.
I guess since they can't subsidize the hardware with a streaming services like Amazon they had to go dual core to stay in the 99 - 130$ range. Should be interesting though.
Agree, they've been developing the Xios XS (as a replacementone to the DS) for quite a while now, and the delays of recent months have been frustrating for those interested in upgrading.

According to Pivos (see this thread for more detailed info: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3714), this will be the entry level model, with mid-level and high-end models coming later this year adding more cores and memory. Price has been rumored to be $99 for entry level ($89 if pre-ordered), with mid to upper $100's for higher level models.

TOFU is definitely their flavor of XBMC (quasi OS/skin/add-on) tailored for the Android based XS, but have heard that reg Gotham build will run on the box (if slightly less optimized).

The original DS was a cheap decent little performer (and is still doing a fine job for me as XBMC client in Master BR), so many of us were interested in what was coming next from Pivos. Just a shame they couldn't get this out a little sooner when the interest was higher...
Yeah this is an Amlogic MX box they do have Amlogic S8 units coming later.

The main points for this is that it runs XBMC out of the box, Tofu their modded version is the entire interface there is no separate Android UI. It also has a nice remote and supposedly better build quality.

If your after something that just works out of the box and is more polished then your typical generic Android box this could be what your looking for.

I'd have to agree with jodoho though, feels a bit late to be pushing out an MX box, probably wont stop me buying one as my original xios also served me well.
tofu is forked xbmc. pivos said the got hacked off with other oem of the geniatech boxes etc stealing their images...something along those lines.

Anyway, TOFU appeared on the Gamestick and showed v12.2. I couldn't spot any obvious differences between vanilla xbmc 12.2 and tofu but i don't want to incur the wrath of the wise and powerful davilla...i'm sure it was optimised
If based on Android - Android restrictions apply? (no 1080p output, dtshd passthrough ....?)
It can't be easy for these guys, I wonder what the profit margin even is on these boxes.
a prettier version of the mx mx2 little black box same specification yet more expensive i appreciate they are running there tofu. But i am with the general view here that they released this too late for it to be effective
(2014-05-28, 18:57)solamnic Wrote: If based on Android - Android restrictions apply? (no 1080p output, dtshd passthrough ....?)

I'm sure it can do 1080P, just like ouya firetv ect.
I think Fire TV has killed whatever remaining interest there was in this pivos box, at least here in the US.
(2014-05-28, 21:33)ozkhan1 Wrote: I think Fire TV has killed whatever remaining interest there was in this pivos box, at least here in the US.
+3, as I bought 3 Big Grin. However, I am keeping an eye out on the new Minix X8. Looks good on paper; let's see how it performs in practice.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New pivos box announced.0