New pivos box announced.
(2014-05-28, 18:17)logan_x50 Wrote: tofu is forked xbmc. pivos said the got hacked off with other oem of the geniatech boxes etc stealing their images...something along those lines.

Anyway, TOFU appeared on the Gamestick and showed v12.2. I couldn't spot any obvious differences between vanilla xbmc 12.2 and tofu but i don't want to incur the wrath of the wise and powerful davilla...i'm sure it was optimised

It was and of course the source code for that version was pushed into the pivos github repo in sync with the GameStick release.
key words are 'new low-end entry-level model'.
Anybody know if Pivos's "Tofu" will be compatible with all the addons Gotham is?
(2014-05-28, 19:51)calev Wrote:
(2014-05-28, 18:57)solamnic Wrote: If based on Android - Android restrictions apply? (no 1080p output, dtshd passthrough ....?)

I'm sure it can do 1080P, just like ouya firetv ect.

i think they can play 1080p.. but output is 720p.... (i think this applies to all android devices)

also they cannot passthrough dtshd..

Unless something has changed and i am mistaken.. Cool
(2014-05-29, 09:03)solamnic Wrote:
(2014-05-28, 18:57)solamnic Wrote: If based on Android - Android restrictions apply? (no 1080p output, dtshd passthrough ....?)

i think they can play 1080p.. but output is 720p.... (i think this applies to all android devices)

I am pretty sure android has no issues outputing 1080p as most android devices now a days are coming with 1080p+ screens. Heck my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 has a resolution of 2560x1600 and xbmc has no issue matching it.

As for HDMI output If you are using MHL 1 its output is capped at 1080p[30hz] while MHL 2 is at 1080p[60hz]

Yes you are mistaken. The Ouya has had 1080P output since launch. So has the firetv.
(2014-05-29, 11:54)calev Wrote:
(2014-05-28, 19:51)calev Wrote: I'm sure it can do 1080P, just like ouya firetv ect.

Yes you are mistaken. The Ouya has had 1080P output since launch. So has the firetv.

Thank you for the clarification..Nod

I'm not 100% about this, but my understanding is that TOFU is similar to Openelec, in that it's a combination of a custom OS + custom XBMC application, so you boot straight into TOFU and for the normal user there should be never any need to see the underlying OS. I think OS is a Android fork similar to Amazon FireOS so that Pivos make whatever changes they want to support features they want to introduce, however standard Android apps will remain loadable and launchable from TOFU.

I believe the first fruits of the custom OS will be HD audio support in the higher end boxes, since here it makes sense to pay for the licenses, not sure about the status of other stuff like 24p.
I'm not sure I would get another pivos since they dropped the linux build. Had to flash the box with andriod to run Gotham and it runs like crap.
(2014-05-29, 16:23)chaunbot Wrote: I'm not sure I would get another pivos since they dropped the linux build. Had to flash the box with andriod to run Gotham and it runs like crap.

The idea is that the new boxes have enough power to properly run android so Linux is not required. Android is a great OS and has so many more features then Linux .. shame to see people disregard it due to past experiences on slow boxes.
(2014-05-29, 03:50)calev Wrote: Anybody know if Pivos's "Tofu" will be compatible with all the addons Gotham is?

Pivos confirms Gotham add-ons work under TOFO here.

(2014-05-29, 16:34)Packetcrypt Wrote:
(2014-05-29, 16:23)chaunbot Wrote: I'm not sure I would get another pivos since they dropped the linux build. Had to flash the box with andriod to run Gotham and it runs like crap.

The idea is that the new boxes have enough power to properly run android so Linux is not required. Android is a great OS and has so many more features then Linux .. shame to see people disregard it due to past experiences on slow boxes.

Agree that the early Linux builds for the DS were superior to Android (more responsive in XBMC), and I was wary of upgrading to Gotham based on going back to an Android build, but i have to say in my case the current Android build for Gotham works very well (much better than original Android build, and as good or better than Linux). In my experience, it has been quite responsive and stable. So, i would have no concern with running the new XS under Android. Looks like current builds are the fruits of much labor (a la Davilla and others)...
Am I the only one that thinks that GPU is getting a little dated now?

A couple things this will have over firetv would be easy xbmc installation,usb harddrive support, vc-1 mpeg-2 support and root.
(2014-05-29, 19:10)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks that GPU is getting a little dated now?

It's perfectly fine for an Android entry level box. Seriously, if you want a very high performance GPU, stick with desktop and get the latest Nvidia card, it will smoke anything that Android has to offer.
I use the pivos XIOS for my bedroom and i have a zotac mini thing in the living room.I started out with a full blown linux install and lost the urge to tinker and switched over to openelec. I guess i just like the simple and just works. Thats why im so sad about the linux build.

I will admit i was super happy with the pivos up until i read they were dropping the linux version ( 12.3 ) and only going the full blown andriod route.

Davilla is to blame for sure. Why is that cat wearing glasses? obviously up to no good..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New pivos box announced.0