Solved OS X Client with Shared Library Using NFS
I've spent the last hour trying to search the forums for this problem. There are a lot of similar problems, but nothing I can find like this.

I have several clients running XBMC. I have an ATV2, Raspberry Pi, and iMac. Each of these are currently running the latest stable Gotham build. I have a FreeNAS server with some of my media (NFS), another FreeNAS server with more media and my sources.xml (SMB), and another server running the shared library. I know it's a bit spread out.

With Frodo, everything worked fine. I was able to access all media from every device without a problem. The other week, my Raspberry Pi automatically updated to Gotham, and I decided to upgrade everything. All media is reachable from the ATV2 and the Raspberry Pi. But, I'm having issues with my iMac when trying to reach the NFS mounted files. The SMB files seem to work fine. However, when running the app as a normal user I get "getting directory" errors and the RPC packet errors and XBMC tells me the files are no longer available for the NFS mounted files. But, if I run the app as root, I can play the files. I have checked that I can reach the mounts through OS X's Finder as a normal user.

I've read through the NFS set up on OS X, and have implemented the "-N" option in the plist file, but most of that seems to be focused on the OS X machine being the server (of which I'm only using as a client).

Any help on how this should be set up in XBMC, or if I'm needing to do some work on OS X, would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to my debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=214002
post /etc/exports from your nfs server.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Code:
/etc/exports:
/mnt/C3PO/Video  -alldirs -network 172.19.0.0/24
This is the exports of the mac - you told me you are using the freenas as server. Or am i wrong here?

Edit: ahh i see - freenas is bsd based too. Did you follow this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS#NFS_shar...NAS_7.x.29
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I had not tried that. I'm using FreeNAS 9.2.1 and added the flags as recommended. I put the variables/values in under tunables (couldn't add to Sysctl) and rebooted. Still no luck. I didn't see them in /etc/rc.conf, though.

I changed my User ID on FreeNAS to match the User ID on my Mac, but that didn't work. I've also tried mapall and maproot set to my Mac username and tried set to root. Neither of those worked.
Without those variables set you are out of luck - you need to get your nas to allow nfs connections from insecure ports (meaning connections from ports > 1000).
Well, I added those flags to the rc.conf file directly (really the one that gets copied over at startup), confirmed they were in /etc/rc.conf, but I still had the problem. It was like FreeNAS was disregarding the flags because even the "-n" option didn't show up in the process when I ran an ps -aux.

However, I did get the problem fixed. I needed to go to the NFS Sharing control in FreeNAS and not the NFS Share settings for the share I created. In the control settings, there is an option for Allow non-root mounts. Checked that, and boom, everything works.

Thanks for all of your help. Sorry I wasted your time.

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OS X Client with Shared Library Using NFS0