Rewinding and fast Forwarding
I have a question about rewinding and fast forwarding, Anytime I fast forward beyond 8x it moves in jumps as opposed to being smooth and this happens all the time in rewind mode. I am just wondering if there is a way to make it move more smoothly while rewinding and fast forwarding. Also is it not possible to skip by chapters in XBMC, I know you can jump in 10 minute intervals, but I can't get movies to jump by chapters. Thanks.
nope.

chapters only work if your content has chapters defined.
There is a known bug right now for MP4 chapters not working, but other videos containers should work.
Awesome thanks for the replies, does that same bug affect the fast forwarding and rewinding or is that something else. Because all of my files are mp4s but I use handbrake so I could have encoded them as MKV, so you're saying if i had encoded them as MKV's the chapter skip would work?
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. MKVs seem fine, but MP4s don't chapter skip. I don't have any issue fast forwarding or rewinding, though.
Yeah mine does it in jumps so not smooth at all, it isnt a feature i use very much so not a big deal just curious. Thanks for the reply.
Video is not designed to be played backwards, that's why it'll look like you're skipping if you rewind. When fastforwarding your computer needs to decode faster than normally which is too much for many devices, that's why it switches to skipping after a point.
Ok that makes sense, so if I upgraded to a better graphics card would that atleast help the fast forwarding issue? since it would be able to process the video better/faster.
I doubt it, XBMC will do the same thing regardless of the GPU you have.
(2014-06-01, 15:17)negge Wrote: Video is not designed to be played backwards, that's why it'll look like you're skipping if you rewind. When fastforwarding your computer needs to decode faster than normally which is too much for many devices, that's why it switches to skipping after a point.

There are 2 bugs related to rw:

1)
it goes much too fast
2)
it shows pictures with timestamps greater the one on screen. it does a seek back then plays a small sequence forward.
ok thanks guys
I'm also having rewind and fast forward issues. Very jumpy past 8x. In fact it starts to slow down at that point. CPU Usage stays below 30%, GPU below 40%. Ran smooth up to and including 32x on my previous xbmc install.

A short snippet of the debugging log

http://pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=bE1MWcae

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rewinding and fast Forwarding0