Android OUYA - is it any good, and will it stay that way?
I am thinking of replacing my ATV2 with an OUYA. I now have a FullHD TV and lots of crashes on my ATV2 with Gotham. So that justifies it for me to buy a new device.
What do you guy's and gall's think? Is OUYA a good replacement for my ATV2? I like the fact that I can also game on it. That's a plus. And I need that 1080p.
I am open to other suggestions as well. I would love a device with optical out as well.

However, a review on a national webshop worries me. He is saying that OUYA was promised as an open platform, but that they are now closing more and more off with every update.
This raises the question: will I always be able to install XBMC on the OUYA, or might they block it at some point in the future?
Works fine here. You can grab xbmc from the store or download from the xbmc site. None can predict the future but I doubt they Will block anything.
If you are used to the ATV2 esthetics and ease of use, the Amazon Fire TV might be a good fit. It's open, which means you can install XBMC (or other Android apps) easily. The remote is similar to the Apple remote (albeit a bit larger) and it is fast. It does also allow gaming (you can get a gaming controller) and it has optical out for audio.

Having said that, I've gone to the NUC for now, as it allows me to adjust the volume of playback from within XBMC, which is not (yet) possible on the Fire TV. The only downside is that the NUC has a fan (much like the OUYA) which the Fire TV (like ATV2) does not.

Last downside.. the Fire TV is not available yet in the Netherlands (which shouldn't stop you from getting one, I have one here in Amsterdam), but more importantly, our timezone isn't available yet on the device, which means that time display will always be wrong.
(2014-05-30, 16:02)mediumdry Wrote: Having said that, I've gone to the NUC for now, as it allows me to adjust the volume of playback from within XBMC, which is not (yet) possible on the Fire TV. The only downside is that the NUC has a fan (much like the OUYA) which the Fire TV (like ATV2) does not.

Hmm, that actually sounds really interesting. That NUC. Besides the device itself I would also need some RAM and an SDD, correct?
And then I could install the latest OpenELEC and the box would be ready?

And how can I access this device from my PC in order to make some changes to the settings (MySQL database, etc.)?

Edit: Hmm, nevermind. Just found out it does not have optical out. Dang it.
re. NUC

For optical out get one of these http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

I decided to go down fanless route and built mine with this http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=p...-NUC03-A1B

Totally silent and runs at about 45oC. Cool
Hmm, not really what I am looking for. Because I doubt it will carry through DTS and all that 5.1 goodness. This is the kind of optical out I am talking about: http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/atv16.jpg
Indeed, the NUC doesn't have the output like the Mac Mini, where you can use either analog or digital output from the headphone jack. You would need to add something like this to copy the digital audio from the hdmi signal.
Fyi, those USB adapters do support Dolby digital and DTS. I used the older version of the turtle beach one linked above for years and it worked great. Now its on my parents rig and passes everything great.
XBMC is kinda dark inside ouya, I downloaded plenty videos to set contrast and brightness of my tv and projecion with no luck

the picture is dark and xbmc missing the contrast and brightness controls
so for now I'm using Raspbmc
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

(2014-06-01, 01:59)LazerBlue Wrote: Fyi, those USB adapters do support Dolby digital and DTS. I used the older version of the turtle beach one linked above for years and it worked great. Now its on my parents rig and passes everything great.

I will second that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OUYA - is it any good, and will it stay that way?0