ServerWMC and WMC - Gotham
Long time reader/learner first post regarding an issue I ran into.
My setup is HDHomerun Prime, WMC on Windows 7 32bit, Amd A8 apu, 4gb memory
I just downloaded and installed ServerWMC, XBMC Gotham, and using the Windows PVR to see how live tv is working. Well, It all seems to work GREAT! with exception I am unable to view any channels other than my local viewing area. I have TWC as cable subscriber. I can view all channels on WMC without an issue, but when I go to XBMC to view the same channels they are 'blocked' out.

I tried toubleshooting myself to no avail...I opened ServerWMC and clicked 'reload channels' by WMC - this didnt work. I do notice that after the channels reloaded the dialogue box listed : Protected Channels> encrypted:0, DRM:554. I think this is the issue, but not sure. And if this is the issue, why am I able to view the DRM channels on WMC without issue, but not on XBMC? HELLLLP!!! I know you probably need a debug log, but not quite sure how to send it. - please direct me to instructions. Like I said, I'm a newbie at this, but do have WMC running flawlessly with HDHomerun Prime.

Thank you in advance to anyone with info and assistance!
No need for a debug log - what you want to do is not possible. You can only view DRM channels in WMC directly.
If you want to try anyway, go to the channels tab in serverwmc and turn off 'Hide DRM channels'. Then they will show up in xbmc, maybe you'll get lucky Smile.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Thats what I didnt want to hear guys. Sad Krusty - I didnt get lucky Sad
I was hoping the XBMC wizards cooked up some type of concoction to get around this. Is it something that might be possible in the future? WMC can do it,,,XBMC can do it better right? Smile
I was thinking ..."hmmm....the DRM channels play thru WMC. ServerWMC picks up channel info through WMC, so this should work!"
Looks like I'm back to switching from WMC to XBMC again, which is what I was hoping to eliminate.

What add on make switching back and forth smooth transition? Im having problems with pc freezing when I switch in and out of WMC/XBMC

Thanks for the replies!
I wouldn't hold my breath for this to ever be added as a feature to XBMC. Directly circumventing DRM is a pretty blatant violation of the foundation's own piracy policy.

Companies like Microsoft pay an enormous amount of money to license this technology and make it part of their software. So it is not surprising that you cannot just remux their DRM streams easily. What you are asking for is not trivial and would get anyone that does not pay licensing fees to content providers in hot water!

When I did use WMC before ServerWMC came around - I was using AutoHotKey scripts to launch WMC and focus it's window. A similar script can be used to kill WMC when you return to XBMC. Use the addon ' Advanced Launcher' to execute the script (compiled to EXE) from XBMC.
You can also use the quickwmc to start wmc. The advantage to this launcher is it knows the context of how wmc was started, so when you 'back' out of the wmc page you launched into, it shuts down wmc and puts you back into xbmc. I only use if for wmc's netflix, but it will work for live tv too. DarkSlayer did a good write up on it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492094/ultima...-with-xbmc
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Unfortunately when it comes to DRM they block the compromise routes, and then you have the choice of completely circumventing all of it (ie; torrents, downloads, whatever) or putting up with them telling you how and when to watch your content. The only reason WMC is able to get those encrypted channels is because they have put enough effort into stopping people from messing with their content to satisfy the rightsholders.
IIRC Comcast is buying TWC? That may be your best hope, that they adopt the Comcast way of flagging channels, they are better about allowing most non-premium channels to be "copy freely" so that you'd be able to use XBMC.
Thanks for the replys! For the setup Im wanting, I'll need to keep switching in and out of WMC for now. Until something replaces WMC as an 'all-in-one' system. If ever such system will be developed.

The ServerWMC did work pretty good for non DRM channels. I had no issues, I used an earlier build of Gotham with built in PVR

Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ServerWMC and WMC - Gotham0