• 1(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
This is a new box that has just been released. It looks impressive, but the price is a bit steep at $349.

http://www.getxbmc.com/product/xbmc-home-theater-pc/
(2014-06-01, 00:20)Dagger17 Wrote: This is a new box that has just been released. It looks impressive, but the price is a bit steep at $349.

http://www.getxbmc.com/product/xbmc-home-theater-pc/

As with most things new,...I'd wait until someone else tries it out and gives a reviews.
Without a doubt.
if you want it cheaper, request a sample at http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wi...78287.html :-)
greetings, Stephan

To be honest, what are we supposed to expect with this box if it's just a standard 1037U unit? It will likely have the same performance of any other unit running a 1037U, with all the major differences coming in hardware setup (if any is even required). For less than $350, you can build your own 1037U mini-ITX box. It might not be as small as this unit, but you can also get the i3 or Baytrail NUC up and running for $350 or less if you want a really small unit. At $350, I'd have to pass on this Prometheus box.
(2014-06-01, 08:50)two515ty Wrote: To be honest, what are we supposed to expect with this box if it's just a standard 1037U unit? It will likely have the same performance of any other unit running a 1037U, with all the major differences coming in hardware setup (if any is even required). For less than $350, you can build your own 1037U mini-ITX box. It might not be as small as this unit, but you can also get the i3 or Baytrail NUC up and running for $350 or less if you want a really small unit. At $350, I'd have to pass on this Prometheus box.

+++1
I wait a week to see reviews. I have a lil extra cash so il get it.
(2014-06-01, 15:01)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 08:50)two515ty Wrote: To be honest, what are we supposed to expect with this box if it's just a standard 1037U unit? It will likely have the same performance of any other unit running a 1037U, with all the major differences coming in hardware setup (if any is even required). For less than $350, you can build your own 1037U mini-ITX box. It might not be as small as this unit, but you can also get the i3 or Baytrail NUC up and running for $350 or less if you want a really small unit. At $350, I'd have to pass on this Prometheus box.

+++1

I feel like the value here is not in the Hardware, it's the reliability of the people behind the release. Hackermil is one of the most dedicated content providers I've seen and has never failed to answer a question. If I were to purchase this box it would be because I KNOW that if anything happens with it or goes wrong I won't be left in the cold with no customer service.

To me that's worth much more than the value of the hardware. Not everybody can or wants to configure/build their own HTPC. This will appeal to the masses.
(2014-06-01, 15:30)smwatkin Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 15:01)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:

+++1

I feel like the value here is not in the Hardware, it's the reliability of the people behind the release. Hackermil is one of the most dedicated content providers I've seen and has never failed to answer a question. If I were to purchase this box it would be because I KNOW that if anything happens with it or goes wrong I won't be left in the cold with no customer service.

To me that's worth much more than the value of the hardware. Not everybody can or wants to configure/build their own HTPC. This will appeal to the masses.

I hadn't heard of him before, but see seems like someone trustworthy. They will actually support their product, unlike some other companies.

The only issue I have is that, it loads straight to XMBC. I am not sure how it will work compared to other Android boxes.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW-...34276.html

IMO the value is for people who don't want to build their own and have to setup things. Not everyone has the knowledge or wants to learn how to look for the right components, learn how to put them together, troubleshoot etc. That's worth a lot more than the price difference in hw parts and you still won't get the small case, support etc.
This is a horrible value at $350.
personally i brought the eclipse box from the xunitytv team and for me best box ive ever had ;-)
(2014-06-01, 15:30)smwatkin Wrote: I feel like the value here is not in the Hardware, it's the reliability of the people behind the release. Hackermil is one of the most dedicated content providers I've seen and has never failed to answer a question. If I were to purchase this box it would be because I KNOW that if anything happens with it or goes wrong I won't be left in the cold with no customer service.

No disrespect to the Hackermil and the people behind this product, but the fact that it only comes with a 30-day guarantee already makes me question what kind of customer service I would get if my hardware failed after 30 days. Furthermore, if I were to build my own HTPC, the warranty on the individual parts would be much longer than the one on this Prometheus Box. And not that it's an official solution, but the people on this forum are quite helpful if you have questions or issues setting up your hardware Wink.

I know to some people, building a computer (or even an NUC) looks daunting, but the issue I have is not with the process, but with the value of the product. The simple fact is that this box is nothing more than a simple custom PC already put together. If it had better hardware in it (like an i3 or i5), I might say it's a better value. But looking at the parts included, I'd say that it would cost less than $200 to put together a comparable system if you built a mini-ITX PC or Baytrail NUC. So, is that 1 or 2 hours you would save having to build and configure it yourself worth the extra $150 to you? I built my NUC back in February or March (shortly after I came out) and I've never messed with it since.
It took me less than an hour (the longest part was waiting for Windows to install. OpenELEC would have been up and running in 5 minutes) to set it up and it does just about everything this Promethus Box does, if not more. Do you still think it's too much work to build/configure your own HTPC?

Also, I don't expect such a box like this to appeal to the masses because it's so expensive! I could buy and setup two BayTrail NUC's for the price of this box alone, and I'd feel more comfortable knowing I got my hardware from a major brand name, than from a small team using commercially available parts in a smaller package.

(2014-06-01, 19:11)Dagger17 Wrote: I hadn't heard of him before, but see seems like someone trustworthy. They will actually support their product, unlike some other companies.

The only issue I have is that, it loads straight to XMBC. I am not sure how it will work compared to other Android boxes.

This is not an Android box, it is a regular PC that is likely running OpenELEC or some other form of Linux distro that boots into XBMC.

(2014-06-01, 19:44)illiac4 Wrote: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW-...34276.html

For this hardware, this is a much more reasonable price. It looks like you would still have to add your own memory and/or HDD (although you can run OpenELEC from a USB drive), but it won't cost you $350 lol.

(2014-06-01, 19:44)MrCrispy Wrote: IMO the value is for people who don't want to build their own and have to setup things. Not everyone has the knowledge or wants to learn how to look for the right components, learn how to put them together, troubleshoot etc. That's worth a lot more than the price difference in hw parts and you still won't get the small case, support etc.

Eh I see where you're coming from, but I'd highly recommend anyone looking for a good HTPC solution to invest in their own custom built solution before paying someone else to make a custom built solution for them. The problem I have is that this box just isn't a good value for the hardware included. You're just paying for someone to have put it together for you beforehand, not for great hardware. When it comes to HTPC setups, IMO, most of the trouble is in the software, and rarely in the hardware. The idea of getting better support for hardware issues with this box shouldn't be a major purchase factor IMO.

(2014-06-02, 00:02)Ned Scott Wrote: This is a horrible value at $350.

Yep, pretty much.

I don't want to seem like a hater or anything, but I just like to encourage people to know what they're getting, why it is or isn't a good value, and what other options they have. I know some people feel like building a computer is a daunting task, but none of us are born knowing how to build a computer. It's just a matter of doing a little research and following the directions. If you've ever put together furniture of any sort or done any work on your car's engine, you can most certainly build a PC and save a lot of money in the process.
(2014-06-02, 01:22)two515ty Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 19:44)illiac4 Wrote: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW-...34276.html

For this hardware, this is a much more reasonable price. It looks like you would still have to add your own memory and/or HDD (although you can run OpenELEC from a USB drive), but it won't cost you $350 lol.
no it has 4g ram and 16g ssd. Ready to go on openelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1