• 2(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
(2014-06-02, 01:53)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-02, 01:22)two515ty Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 19:44)illiac4 Wrote: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW-...34276.html

For this hardware, this is a much more reasonable price. It looks like you would still have to add your own memory and/or HDD (although you can run OpenELEC from a USB drive), but it won't cost you $350 lol.
no it has 4g ram and 16g ssd. Ready to go on openelec.

When I read the specs from that link, it says:

Quote:Barebone PC Only,NO SSD/HDD

Under the Ram and HDD/SSD capacity section.
Sorry I think I was clicking on the wrong link. Nevertheless there are complete 1037u machines with ram and ssd on aliexpress for about $175. I have one - 2g ram and 8 g ssd and runs openelec perfectly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
These wicked awesome (totally biased opinion) C1037U barebones come with an IR receiver, 90-day warranty, lifetime support and optional hugs and rainbows for $150 less Big Grin

Flavor 1
Flavor 2
Flavor 3
Here is an example from Aliexpress for $175.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-best...15197.html

Add the iogear keyboard (the prometheus one looks a hell of a lot like an iogear) for about $40 and then get them both shipped and you're still well short of $350.00. Many people will also have a wireless keyboard or remote already, so the $40 pus markup for the keyboard might not be something you want to spend.

So how much is their time worth to set up openelec? Well it is a 5 minute job to install, and if I was selling lots of them I would take another minute to run a script to set all the options correctly - like audio device, acceleration etc.

The other question is: how much of your time and money is it worth?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Im lost... you guys keep posting or mentioning either barebones boxes priced at close to 200$ which honestly (do the math close to 200 and add parts .. you want these guys to give it away for free?) or boxes that are extremely ugly and look nothing like it. You claim its a bad deal ? please then break down that set up and supply links for how much this product would cost you. (Each peice) Also from what I see these our wholesalers on these sites and often require a minimum order of more then one box. It's not fair and very obvious that there are a lot of targets on Hackermil seems at every turn anything he does gets KILLLLLED! by everyone else but HUGELYYYYY accepted by the real end users .. he is helping soooooo many green xbmc newbies transition into our world easily!! not everyone is a geek like us not everyone WANTS to research for hours and spend months trying to work wholesale deals to probably not even end up with the same overall product and experience. Always seems oh so very biased when it comes to the topic of Hackermil. I don't hear people talking about how RIDICULOUSLYYYYYY cheap android boxes are in China if we are talking wholesale ..

For example Xunity.Tv @Kizzer says its the "BEST OUT THERE" ok lets link that one out also http://m.alibaba.com/product/1485539204/...V_Box.html

60$ lol for this box what are they selling it for ? 250!!!!! $ are you kidding me? now THAT box comes complete for sure .. junky remote (same used for little black box) the melee or whatever it is .. less then 10 bucks in china at wholesale and yea impressive coding but coding is free so .. now you mean to tell me seeing Hackermil charge 350 for a box that goes for 150!!! with NOTHING IN IT! control alone is another 40 thats 200 right there alone lol + the rest of the parts you find that upsurd? so what would you have him charge then ? i am very! intrested more then anything else to hear that with all the work that goes into putting something like that together would be very entertaining to me to hear what it is you think they should be charging lol .. even crazier is thinking that is more upsurd then these over prices android boxes? which are basically mobiles (we all know whats inside) that cost 60! bucks and sell for 250 and from what i see on their website they have cheesy salesman tendencies also by striking a 299! price and making it 250 .. 299! woah but now you can get it for 250 lol reminds me of all those late night info ads just pure shit man its a 60$ box guys no wondr they can afford to give out so many for free in contests lol... Hacker is upfront about evwerything never shys away from questions and always answers truthfully HTPCs are not for everyone and im sure that team is fully aware of this

HTPcs were ALWAYS pricey lol before Hackermil and will always be pricey AFTER these kits are expensive period So to say that his specific one is too much is ridiculous considering it ALREADY! looks way better then most on the market with its sleek design but more importantly its brand new! lol nobody has even reviewed it or shown its performance and you guys are already shooting it down. Personally I see a trend here .. everything he does gets shot down by the people that do not like him .... but praised by the people that do. now you tell me what do you think proves more to the outsider looking in .. All this against him by people who dont really like him anyway I know @Kizzer for sure doesnt as ive seen him attacking on twitter OR the INSANEEEEEEEEEE!!!! amount of POSITIVE feedback from anyone that has used his services or bought something from him or spoken to him or has been in contact with him lol . Its a no brainer. Yes obviously Im biased towards hacker but doesnt make any of this less true. You got something against this guy its fine but at least lol wait til the damn thing gets reviewed before ragging on it so you dont look as dumb if by a small chance in frozen hell you are wrong and the impossible happens ... the product is actually good and worth the money lol just my 2 cents

#XbmcAnon

oh yea get your xunity.tv here http://m.alibaba.com/product/1485539204/...V_Box.html lol
if you need some outer casing connects let me know its the same box folks
I get what your saying but this is not mashup forum or xbmc hub forum , this site is xbmc.org. 3rd party add ons and the copyright issues around them is not what this site is about .
This sub-forum was started for people who were interested in hardware , building true home media pc to store the content that they payed for not streamed from a 3rd party torrent hosted seedbox . I hope he does well with his box as I agree with you that he is very helpful to the entery level user.Some people like to buy these preprogramed boxes but here we like to program our own . Once you learn to do this you won't pay that price for that type of hardware but I must say he is feeling a huge gap in the market place with is product .

I hope you stick a round to learn abit more of what the site is about coz even the most advanced user can still learn more .
This post is absurdly and unnecessarily long. There is a summary at the bottom for those who don't want to read all of this.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: *a very long first post*

Dang bro, did someone strike a nerve? I see you registered just to post this long rant lol.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: you guys keep posting or mentioning either barebones boxes priced at close to 200$ which honestly (do the math close to 200 and add parts .. you want these guys to give it away for free?) or boxes that are extremely ugly and look nothing like it.

Here is the Prometheus Box in question: http://www.getxbmc.com/product/xbmc-home-theater-pc/
Here is a "similar" looking device that nickr posted: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-best...15197.html

Look at them both for 5 minutes and then try to tell me that the $200 (after shipping) machine that nickr posted isn't exactly same as the Prometheus Box that costs $150 more.

Trick question! They're not exactly the same. The one that nickr posted has double the RAM and storage of the Prometheus Box. The only major difference is that the one nickr posted doesn't come with Wi-Fi, but it can be added for a whopping $8, bringing your grand total to $208. Still a lot less than $350, and with better specs to boot. So maybe the extra $142 is for them installing OpenELEC for you? Does that sound like a good value to you?

Let's say you wanted to build one yourself. A mini-ITX motherboard with an NM70 chipset/1037U processor costs $70. 2GB of DDR3 RAM can be had for $30. A Corsair 430 watt PSU costs $40 or less. An 8 GB USB drive costs $10 or less. Whatever case you go with can range from $40-$100, depending on what you're looking for. Either way, it isn't going to cost you $350 to get the same hardware as the Prometheus Box. If you need Wifi, maybe you can add another $20 or $30, but a wired connection is really the way to go. Let's say your total is about $200, or even $250. If it takes you even 2 hours (which is being quite generous) to get everything put together, is that extra $100-$150 spent on a Prometheus Box worth less than your 2 hours of time?

Links:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138393
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148221
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811204043
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833180078
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...12K1078659

Let's say you go with an NUC. The BayTrail NUC costs $140. 2 GB of compatible RAM will run you $20-$30. An 8 GB USB drive will cost $10. Setting it up shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Your total is $180. Is the Prometheus Box still a better value at almost double the price? Keep in mind that you'd be missing out on the built-in IR functionality that the NUC has.

Links:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856102062
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820239853
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...12K1078659

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: Also from what I see these our wholesalers on these sites and often require a minimum order of more then one box

First of all...than*

Secondly, the link that nickr posted looks like you can just purchase one at a time. It doesn't set a minimum order quantity, and the default quantity is one piece. Even if the bulk price was $175, the individual price wouldn't double to $350!

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: It's not fair and very obvious that there are a lot of targets on Hackermil seems at every turn anything he does gets KILLLLLED! by everyone else but HUGELYYYYY accepted by the real end users

Like I said earlier, no one is hating or killing anything. I had never even heard of Hackermil until I read this thread, so it's not like I had an agenda against him or anything. I'm just trying to inform people about what they're getting for their money. Capitalism allows consumers to make choices about what they purchased, and even after reading this thread, there are some people that will still pay $350 for this box. That's fine. But at the same time, I just want to make sure that someone doesn't purchase a Prometheus Box because they think it's a special device because someone made a new thread about it. It's a run of the mill device that has a price much higher than it's worth (at least by my estimation). Is that wrong or unethical? No not at all, it just may not be a good value for the person buying it.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: not everyone is a geek like us not everyone WANTS to research for hours and spend months trying to work wholesale deals to probably not even end up with the same overall product and experience.

Well I've just done all the research for anyone who was too lazy to do it themselves or was confused on what to get. All the links and information are on this forum, other forums, and especially on YouTube. If you didn't know what to buy before, you'll know after reading this post. And as far as the "product" and experience, I'd say that the "experience" with XBMC will be mostly the same from hardware to hardware. The only difference you'll ever feel is when you try to play high bitrate media that lower end hardware can't handle. If you're trying to play high bitrate media, you shouldn't be buying a $350 Prometheus Box that has low end parts in it. You'd need to upgrade to something with at least an i3 to improve your experience.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: For example Xunity.Tv @Kizzer says its the "BEST OUT THERE" ok lets link that one out also http://m.alibaba.com/product/1485539204/...V_Box.html

60$ lol for this box what are they selling it for ? 250!!!!! $ are you kidding me? now THAT box comes complete for sure .. junky remote (same used for little black box) the melee or whatever it is .. less then 10 bucks in china at
wholesale and yea impressive coding but coding is free

This is pretty random and unrelated to the thread. I'm not sure who Kizzer is or why he's important, but I'd say he's actually right to some degree. For only $60, that could possibly be the best device in its price range. It's certainly not the best option overall, but it's probably decent for the price. If they're selling it for $250, it's not much different than what Hackermil is doing.

If coding for XBMC is free on Android, do you mean to imply that there should be a cost for the PC version?

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: now you mean to tell me seeing Hackermil charge 350 for a box that goes for 150!!! with NOTHING IN IT! control alone is another 40 thats 200 right there alone lol + the rest of the parts you find that upsurd? so what would you have him charge then ?

lol@ "upsurd." It's "absurd."

Scroll up. The link illiac4 posted shows that the empty box only costs $130.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/X-26-2G-R...69668.html

That's a link showing very similar hardware going for $100. The main differences I see are that the cheaper one doesn't have a card reader and WiFi, but that's not worth the extra $30 price difference IMO. The Prometheus Box page doesn't list a card reader in the specs, so it's possible that it comes with the cheaper $100 hardware.

Hackermil added 2 GB of RAM and an 8 GB SSD. I'm not joking when I say that my phone from 2012 has 2 GB of RAM and more than 8 GB of storage. At wholesale prices, those two components might have added $20-$40 to the cost of the hardware. The cost of that random off-brand keyboard can't be more than $20 or $30, for which you could get a much nicer Logitech K400r. So, let's say that the box costs $200 altogether. What are you getting for the extra $150? You're paying $150 for XBMC (which is free!) to be pre-installed, in spite of many easy ways to install it yourself. If the box costs $200 (and I bet it costs less than that), I don't think he should charge more than $225. At least that's what I'd be willing to pay for the service of pre-installing free software, if I were to ever become so lazy.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: i am very! intrested more then anything else to hear that with all the work that goes into putting something like that together would be very entertaining to me to hear what it is you think they should be charging lol .. even crazier is thinking that is more upsurd then these over prices android boxes? which are basically mobiles (we all know whats inside) that cost 60! bucks and sell for 250 and from what i see on their website they have cheesy salesman tendencies also by striking a 299! price and making it 250 .. 299! woah but now you can get it for 250 lol reminds me of all those late night info ads just pure shit man its a 60$ box guys no wondr they can afford to give out so many for free in contests lol... Hacker is upfront about evwerything never shys away from questions and always answers truthfully HTPCs are not for everyone and im sure that team is fully aware of this

I didn't say anything about Android boxes and don't see how they are relevant, but just like the Prometheus Box, anyone buying an Android box for $200 or more is not getting nearly enough for their money. I'm not sure what the logic is behind the pricing, but if you're not Hackermil, I'm not sure that you should try to explain or justify his actions. You're saying that the people selling Android XBMC boxes are charging too much when they sell a $60 unit for $250, yet you say it's acceptable for Hackermil to sell $200 hardware for $350. What's the difference? For all we know, Hackermil probably saw that people were buying $250 Android boxes and figured that they might also buy $350 PCs as well.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: HTPcs were ALWAYS pricey lol before Hackermil and will always be pricey AFTER these kits are expensive period So to say that his specific one is too much is ridiculous considering it ALREADY! looks way better then most on the market with its sleek design but more importantly its brand new! lol nobody has even reviewed it or shown its performance and you guys are already shooting it down.

First of all, overall price is not the issue here, value is. I'm not saying that $350 is too much for a HTPC, I'm saying that $350 is too much for THAT HTPC because it consists of low end parts that cost less than $200 to buy at a consumer level.

Secondly, we don't have to wait for a review because it has the same parts in it that people have already been using for a long time. If HP and Compaq sell laptop computers that have the same parts in them, do people sit around expecting similar hardware to have different performance? No.

Third, it's not "brand new." Hackermil didn't design this box himself, he bought it off aliexpress. All he's doing is reselling those bulk priced units you were complaining about. You're just paying a higher price (almost double) to buy it from Hackermil than from aliexpress themselves.

As I stated in my first post in this thread, the only difference you might notice is how you set it up initially. Once you get into XBMC, it's going to work the same as any other XBMC device, for the most part.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138393

Read the first review on that board by Patrick L. He's using it as a HTPC, and that motherboard has the same NM70 chipset and 1037U processor as the Prometheus Box. There, now you have a review on how well the hardware works in XBMC. The only other thing left to review is the build quality and reliability, but that's not related to XBMC at all. More importantly, since Hackermil or whoever is selling this box didn't make the hardware themselves, it's not like you can even attribute the build quality (or lack thereof) to the company you bought it from!

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: Personally I see a trend here .. everything he does gets shot down by the people that do not like him .... but praised by the people that do. now you tell me what do you think proves more to the outsider looking in .. All this against him by people who dont really like him anyway I know @Kizzer for sure doesnt as ive seen him attacking on twitter OR the INSANEEEEEEEEEE!!!! amount of POSITIVE feedback from anyone that has used his services or bought something from him or spoken to him or has been in contact with him lol . Its a no brainer. Yes obviously Im biased towards hacker but doesnt make any of this less true.

Unfortunately, your bias does make a lot of what you say less true. For starters, half of your post was rambling about Hackermil being hated on, when he was barely even mentioned in the thread lol. Like I said, I didn't even know anything about Hackermil, I've only been talking about the Prometheus Box itself. Secondly, you appear uninformed about computer hardware and what it should cost for HTPC builds. Third, you grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure is atrocious. Finally, no one mentioned anything about Kizzer or Twitter or any other silly internet drama. All these things put together give you the appearance of someone who just doesn't know what they're talking about.

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: the product is actually good and worth the money lol just my 2 cents

I'm curious, did he send you a sample to test? Have you used one personally? Earlier you said to wait for a review, and now you're already saying it's a good product that's worth the money. Can you link us to the review that you wrote?

(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: oh yea get your xunity.tv here http://m.alibaba.com/product/1485539204/...V_Box.html lol
if you need some outer casing connects let me know its the same box folks

And then you throw in the shameless plug/spam for good measure. SMH!

Summary: No offense to XbmcTrans, but I don't think he knows what he's talking about at all. The Prometheus Box is just overpriced, and there's not much else to say about its price. For $350, you can get yourself much better hardware, or get the same or similar hardware for much less money. It's just a mini-PC purchased wholesale from Aliexpress or some other Chinese wholesaler with XBMC installed. Is it a bad HTPC to buy? No, on the contrary, it's probably going to work quite well for most people. At the same time, a lot of those people who would purchase such a box can save themselves a lot of money by reading up a little bit on what they're getting and what it's worth.
Sure some people don't want to build their own PC or do the research to set things up themselves, but I'd highly recommend it so you don't end up wasting money.

/thread
Sounds to me like XbmcTrans is Hackermill or one of his partners and he is trying to justify charging an extra $150 to install XBMC for those that are to lazy to spend 1/2 hour to watch a video tutorial and install it themselves.

I did like the custom skin though .. maybe that is worth $150 to some people Smile
(2014-06-03, 13:33)XbmcTrans Wrote: Im lost [...] rant [...] the product is actually good and worth the money lol just my 2 cents

I've been working for a few years now with the exact same manufacturer as the one used to create the machine Prometheus and the listing on AliExpress are selling so I have first-hand insight into the costs associated with it and the equipment being used.

I can tell you without a doubt based on this relationship and being an experienced hobby-reseller that the Prometheus not a good deal for most people, especially the majority of tech savvy people who frequent this forum -- the community. Some might value having XBMC pre-installed and (hopefully) support that you might not get buying it direct and that's great if that's their informed choice.

As a community a lot of us feel an obligation to let everyone know the options and our opinions and experiences, including myself.
lol i have to laugh man you start the post by saying

XbmcTrans Wrote:
*a very long first post*

but yours took up almost half the page lmao

plain comical

now with alllllllllllllllllllll that you said .. you still saying the same .. cost for this would be around 200 or more ..add packaging .. etc so your saying lol you dont think they should make a profit still ?

really ridiculous .. putting together a site .. even a toll free number .. and now financing options who knows how hard that was to get together .. point is these guys worked HARD putting this thing togetherr and getting it ready for the masses to make it this simple and you guys are talking as if they dont deserve to make a profit for it. thats the real point here .. what do you want them to charge for making all this happen? lmao

anyway while you write your long drawn out posts about long drawn out posts arguing that people shouldnt make a profit for putting something like this together ... Ill be back over on that side where im being well taken care of. Im not hackermil im a day 1 fan .. vip channel owner .. HTV owner .. and now Prometheus owner .. and plain and simple IM HAPPY and thats what matters. and just a suggestion if you think people can do better someone here should just but the same package they have together for less Smile shit id be one of the first to buy .. just saying .. all this talk .. how about someone just do better .. kk later folks just one guys opinions here dont shoot me dont shootme lol ill be gone now

#XbmcAnon
(2014-06-02, 01:53)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-02, 01:22)two515ty Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 19:44)illiac4 Wrote: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-NEW-...34276.html

For this hardware, this is a much more reasonable price. It looks like you would still have to add your own memory and/or HDD (although you can run OpenELEC from a USB drive), but it won't cost you $350 lol.
no it has 4g ram and 16g ssd. Ready to go on openelec.

Says in the item description for the one in the link: "Barebone PC Only,NO SSD/HDD" Or are you talking about the Prometheus box?
Should we not be happy that there are more choices for someone wanting to run XBMC? There are many types of users, for some they won't mind paying extra to avoid having to build, others won't mind paying extra to not have to install and configure XBMC themselves on identical hardware. Arguing about the value proposition and calling something overpriced is counterproductive and assumes everyone shares your priorities.

I've seen this on pretty much every tech forum where the DIY vs buy debates rage on forever, there is no correct answer. Anyone with minimal tech knowledge or ability to do research can find alternatives. That doesn't mean the Prometheus product is not good, it just may not be good value for some.

The world is full of overpriced things that people buy every day and enjoy. If someone doesn't do their research, is not aware, ends up spending more, does it lessen their enjoyment? No. The common factor in all this is they will be using XBMC which is what we should focus on. If these guys are providing a good solution and standing behind their product, that is all that matters.
If someone is happy with the purchase then the $350 spent is worth the money but as has been pointed out on an enthusiast based forum its not really very good for the majority of us.
Just to quote one bit of their advertising I managed to grab before it flicked away:-
"Unparalleled Wi-Fi Performance
Finally you can put your TV where you want to, no need for cables and wires.", but looking at the spec sheets its Wireless N 150, good luck streaming any high bitrate 1080p's on that let alone an uncompressed bluray!
If I'd spent that much money on a box apart from a better CPU and GPU I'd also expect at least one USB 3 port on it, as well as more than an 8GB SSD.
I don't know anything about consumer rights in the US but here in the EU it would be illegal to sell that box with only a 30 day warranty, 12 months would be the legal minimum (that's probably one of the reasons we pay a premium for our tech, but not a $150 premium lol.
Its a pity more people don't know just how easy it is (if slightly time consuming) to assemble their own pc, but even so I can go to many UK websites and find pre-built nettops and mini pc's from reputable and established manufacturers with higher specs than that (even with the premium we pay for tech) for quite a lot less money. Its only a few dollars more than this is on sale for to find boxes with full Windows installs.

And personally I would steer well clear of anyone advertising a box whether it be PC, Android, Apple or whatever that is pre-loaded with every movie, TV show or sporting event, that alone would indicate to me that its not a reputable vendor!
wrong again .. its not a 30 day warranty ... its a 30 day MONEY BACK guarantee they are saying within 30 days if you are unhappy you can send back for FULL REFUND which is yet ANOTHER thing no other box sellers are doing did some digging and seen post on their twitter warranty on hardware is 3 years please make sure your accurate when making statement like that

see here: https://twitter.com/GetXBMC/status/473905031339470848

oh and wrong again here also ... content is not directly in box .. its in "3rd party add-ons" key word 3RD PARTY unlike xunity.tv which has it coded in the box itself

now you yourself said the warranty sometimes wortth paying the premium wel there goes your warranty .. whats next? what other reasons dfo you have that they shouldnt make a profit lol
(2014-06-03, 22:55)XbmcTrans Wrote: wrong again .. its not a 30 day warranty ... its a 30 day MONEY BACK guarantee they are saying within 30 days if you are unhappy you can send back for FULL REFUND which is yet ANOTHER thing no other box sellers are doing did some digging and seen post on their twitter warranty on hardware is 3 years please make sure your accurate when making statement like that

see here: https://twitter.com/GetXBMC/status/473905031339470848

oh and wrong again here also ... content is not directly in box .. its in "3rd party add-ons" key word 3RD PARTY unlike xunity.tv which has it coded in the box itself

now you yourself said the warranty sometimes wortth paying the premium wel there goes your warranty .. whats next? what other reasons dfo you have that they shouldnt make a profit lol

3rd party addons or pre-loaded doesn't make a difference, anyone advertising something that's infringing copyright even if its not mentioned directly its implied is in my book an untrustworthy vendor.
I never said they can't make a profit, if people are fool hardy enough to part with their money for this then good luck to the guys behind Prometheus but don't get upset with the rest of us for pointing out the pitfalls of this venture.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1