• 16(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
I have a RaspberryPi 2.

It's significantly better than the pi v1. The interface is very responsive and browsing files/directories is near instantaneous. The pi v1 was acceptable if you were willing to cut it a little slack for its slowness. The pi v2 is perfectly capable and doesn't need any slack cutting at all. It's excellent.

Do note, though, that OpenELEC 5.0.1 currently has some network related issues. Hopefully they'll be fixed in 5.0.2. OSMC seems to work fine, though, but you'll need to apt-get install espeak or flite or festival on it for speech to work.

byron27: If you have a Windows machine or a Mac somewhere on your network that runs 24/7, you really should consider trying out the speech server, as the quality of the voices is much, much higher. I think it's also a bit more responsive, probably due to offloading th voice generation to a more capable system and leaving the pi to devote all its CPU power to everything else.

Good luck!
@Ruuk: did you have any opportunity to give a look into my subtitle related reports and error announcement feed-back? thanks a lot for your dedication
and volunteering so far for this project.
İt seems that the keyboard input still does not work with me, at least I cannot see what I have written, or cannot edit.
(2015-02-08, 09:43)arsivci Wrote: @Ruuk: did you have any opportunity to give a look into my subtitle related reports and error announcement feed-back? thanks a lot for your dedication
and volunteering so far for this project.

I've actually got the code to handle the subtitle selection dialog working, I just need to finish it up. I've been quite busy lately Smile
So with the way that Youtube now works, you have to go to a webpage and enter a code to authorize the use of your account with things. I did this fine with my apple TV yesterday, however, I can not do it with Kodi because you can not review text, and for some strange reason, (and I've seen this happen with other places too), NVDA will start counting off numbers as it waits. Not quite sure what it's doing, but it does this as well when things are buffering.
Anything that I could try to work around this?
Also, in case anyone cares, I have tried this on a cubox i4 pro with xbian. Works great, no issues that I have found yet.
One final thing Ruuk, in the description of your addon, it still says Text to speech for XBMC. Smile
(2015-02-08, 23:27)blindndangerous Wrote: So with the way that Youtube now works, you have to go to a webpage and enter a code to authorize the use of your account with things. I did this fine with my apple TV yesterday, however, I can not do it with Kodi because you can not review text, and for some strange reason, (and I've seen this happen with other places too), NVDA will start counting off numbers as it waits. Not quite sure what it's doing, but it does this as well when things are buffering.
Anything that I could try to work around this?
Also, in case anyone cares, I have tried this on a cubox i4 pro with xbian. Works great, no issues that I have found yet.
One final thing Ruuk, in the description of your addon, it still says Text to speech for XBMC. Smile

I've submitted a fix for the keyboard dialog issue. With any luck it will be in Kodi sooner rather than later.

The number counting is the percent of progress, either for a progress dialog, or when buffering.
Hello

I've tried to install kodi screen reader with google tts but it does not work, I've tried on a RPI B and RPI 2 B. I've tried with osmc, openelec and xbian I can get espeak to work, but it is not good at Danish
(2015-02-11, 18:27)dkrasmussen Wrote: Hello

I've tried to install kodi screen reader with google tts but it does not work, I've tried on a RPI B and RPI 2 B. I've tried with osmc, openelec and xbian I can get espeak to work, but it is not good at Danish
The Google backend needs an mp3 player installed. It will work with mpg123, mpg321, mplayer and sox. I don't think openelec has one included, but you should be able to install one of those in anything debian based.
Hello folks, The Virtual Keyboard issue was driving me nuts. Thanks to Ruuk and few other great developers a fix is on track. However, I was a little impatient. I went ahead and added the fix to copy of 14.1 stable code and compiled it.

You can download my compiled copy of the installer from https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9LX8MC...WNUa05nRTQ

Unfortunately Ruuk hasn't had a chance to merge his latest change with his repo, So for this to work you also need to download the Master from his Repo and overwrite the addon directory with the master. The directory can be found at "%appdata%\kodi\addons\service.xbmc.tts" and Ruuk's repo can be found at https://github.com/ruuk/service.xbmc.tts

Sorry folks, I was only able to compile the change to windows, Don't have Linux or OSX to make this change with yet. However, I may see what I can do with OSX at least.

Ruuk or Any other Kodi developer. If you have any problems with me posting this, Please let me know and Ill remove it.

As with anything like this, Use at your own risk, Consider this an Alpha of the KB fix, etc. etc. etc.
I really want a set-top box, but the raspberry pi 2 seems too complicated, not only do I have to buy the Pi, but I gotta buy a case for it and install an OS on it and everything, it just seems too involved to me. Maybe it's not as hard as it looks... but I want to get something simple. Is there any sort of set-top box that would work better with TTS? Can someone help me figure out what to buy? Maybe someone could help me with figuring what I should buy with a Raspberry Pi and tell me what OS I should install if no OpenElec. Thanks!
I got my Raspberry Pi 2 a couple days ago and finally had a chance to test it out. I'm impressed. I installed OpenELEC 5.0.3, installed my repository, installed the Screen Reader addon and Kodi was speaking via eSpeak. I was also able to immediately select aplay for output and then selected pipe audio to the player.

Kodi and speech is very responsive, at least with eSpeak.

Next I'll have to test OSMC or Raspbian with Cepstral and see if it is finally useful Smile
FYI: The SD card slot is micro.
(2015-02-15, 05:27)Traker1001 Wrote: Sweet. I can't till I can get a hold of one.

I'm glad you mentioned that, Because I had no clue the slot was a micro. Does the card stick out at all?

Hows the responsiveness while playing something like an HD movie? That was one of the places I really noticed lag with the Pi 1, That and when I was playing HD TV and went to menu or guide.

do we still need to buy the VC1 and Mpeg2 licenses with the Pi 2?

The card sticks out about a millimeter or so (as I recall, I'm at work). Like most micro slots it's the sort where it springs in and out, so it doesn't need to stick out as much.

I haven't tested much beyond speech yet, so I'll get back to you on HD and having the guide or menu.

You still need the license, same deal as the Pi.
Hello friends. Unfortunately we will not see the Fix for the Virtual Keyboard in the Official line of 14.x Kodi. The fix for the keyboard has been merged with the master however and should start showing up in the Alpha Nightlies and eventually WILL be in Kodi 15.

I have also compiled the fix into the Latest windows helix code 14.2 beta 2 (ish). You can download that setup file from:

https://github.com/cljnco/kodi-14-patche...-Helix.exe

I will keep an eye on the Kodi releases and continue to compile the source with the fix until 15 so that folks can stay up to date.

for Linux releases the only way to use this fix is to stick with the bleeding edge alpha. Or use a version of XBMC before it the keyboard was changed, That being 13.2 Gotham, I believe. Unfortunately I don't have the setup currently to compile a modified Linux release.

I may be able be able to figure out and compile a modified OSX release, If you use OSX and want the fixed installer let me know and Ill try to get it compiled, However, unless I hear from someone, I probably wont even try.
So going on what some one said in this thread, I decided to give Open Elec a try. It's pretty much the same as Xbian, except with Xbian, I can actually select my wireless network. Espeak could read me the OE options screen, but I couldn't figure out if anything was actually active or not. I figured that if I saw the tether option underneath active for wireless that it was on, but going down to connections didn't show me anything, only wired. Was their something I was missing? I didn't see a way to scan for wireless networks so I was kinda stuck. I also don't like that they leave you at a root prompt when you ssh in, and that you can't do apt-get update/upgrade. I get what they're going for, maybe I'm just used to my limited knowledge of debian and ubuntu. The only thing I can think of is that they want you to type it in in the ssid and password fields, but that's kind of annoying. I'm really not sure. It's still on my cubox, so if anyone has any suggestions that I could try I will, but if not, I'll just put Xbian back on it unless anyone has any other distros to try with the cubox.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10