• 1(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
Information 
Kodi Screen Reader
Text to speech for Kodi.

It is still in early development, but is very usable in it's current state.

Currently works directly on Linux (including OpenElec), Windows and OSX but can work on other platforms via the speech server.

Available via my repository or you can download the zip file or the optional speech.server from the Downloads Page where there is also a windows installer that will install both Kodi (if not already installed) and the addon.
<Reserved> More Coming Soon...

To use the add-on properly, Once it is installed you need to install the custom Key mapping.

To Install the custom keymap go to:

System - Settings - Add-ons - My Add-ons - Services - then on Kodi screen reader press C for context menu and select configure. Left arrow to Keymap. Then Down arrow to Install Custom Keymap and select.

Once installed,
F1 - Repeats last text read
F2 - Reads any global extra info such as Year, Genre
F3 - Reads selected item extra, I.E. description.
F4 - is the Stop talking temporarily button
F6 - pulls up the add-on config pretty much wherever you are.
F12 - Enables/Disables the add-on

For the next 2 please note that speech volume is independent of overall system volume. You can turn up or down the volume to the audio/video without turning changing speech volume.
Ctrl with the +(Plus key) - Turns volume of speech up
Ctrl with the -(Minus key) - Turns volume of speech down
----
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.67.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Weather window now speaks automatically
  • Now speaks full screen video player status including pause, buffering (with percent) and seeking (with position)
  • HTTP speech server backend: fixed errors cause by connection issues
  • HTTP speech server backend: now gives an error reason when falling back
  • Fix for bug added in last version causing speech to not interrupt when changing controls
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.68.

Changes:
  • Playing status now speaks on all views when media is playing
  • Playing status now speaks fast forward and rewind with 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x and 32x levels
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.69.

Changes:
  • Startup beeps now happen before speech
  • Now speaks the new version on update
  • Fix for Flite player not changing when changed in settings
  • Fix for aplay not interrupting properly
  • Now enables alsa for aplay when aplay is selected as a player on on Raspberry Pi OpenElec
  • Added ability to pipe audio directly from engine to player
  • Added setting to eSpeak, Google and HTTP TTS Server: 'Pipe Audio To Player'
  • Updated comtypes to 1.1.0
I got openelec but after installing this addon what todo next? because It's not doing anything
(2014-06-06, 15:37)RiChaDo Wrote: I got openelec but after installing this addon what todo next? because It's not doing anything
OpenElec should speak as soon as the addon is installed. If it's not working then something must be wrong.

What version of OpenElec on what platform?
How did you install the addon?
(2014-06-06, 10:06)Traker1001 Wrote: Awesome... Although, I could have sworn my start up was beeping before speech already, at least in Ubuntu and Windows.
Depending on the speech engine and platform it would beep after because the sound was being triggered after the addon was started. I just moved the sound to before everything was started.
(2014-06-06, 10:06)Traker1001 Wrote: Is the version update speaking just for the TTS addon?
Yes. It compares the version when the addon is loaded and then speaks the new version.
If I find a way to do it for other addons, I'll put it in.
you can get an add-on list through JSON-RPC. not sure if you can also get the current addon version with it.
if you can you could save current list. then start comparing it every X amount of time and that way notice if there's an updated version installed.

even better would be that we kept a list of recent updated add-on (or store addon update date). Perhaps something for the future.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-06-06, 17:34)Martijn Wrote: you can get an add-on list through JSON-RPC. not sure if you can also get the current addon version with it.
if you can you could save current list. then start comparing it every X amount of time and that way notice if there's an updated version installed.

even better would be that we kept a list of recent updated add-on (or store addon update date). Perhaps something for the future.

Thanks for the ideas.
I was hoping that addon updates were "notified" like video updates so I can handle them in the onNotification() method of the Monitor class which I already use. I just checked that out and it turns out this is not currently the case so something like what you suggested would probably be the way to go.
(2014-06-06, 17:09)ruuk Wrote:
(2014-06-06, 15:37)RiChaDo Wrote: I got openelec but after installing this addon what todo next? because It's not doing anything
OpenElec should speak as soon as the addon is installed. If it's not working then something must be wrong.

What version of OpenElec on what platform?
How did you install the addon?

Openelec Version:4.0.4 on asrock ion 330ht and did a install from zip in xbmc manager
Does the addon show up in the enabled addons under services?
yes and installed the keymap.xml
(2014-06-06, 17:58)ruuk Wrote:
(2014-06-06, 17:34)Martijn Wrote: you can get an add-on list through JSON-RPC. not sure if you can also get the current addon version with it.

Thanks for the ideas.
I was hoping that addon updates were "notified" like video updates so I can handle them in the onNotification() method of the Monitor class which I already use. I just checked that out and it turns out this is not currently the case so something like what you suggested would probably be the way to go.

Maybe some one can add this to the onNotification() method to at least know there are add-ons updated or new ones available, depending on how you have set repo updates.
Then you can catch that, notify the user who can go to the add-on manager to update them manually. If auto update is set you could then grab a new list of add-ons and then mention the updated ones.

Edit:
Implementation would be something like this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4766/files
and i think relevant file to add it to would be
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...y.cpp#L319 (some where after this line of code. next line does the GUI popup).
This would at least get the add-on update available.
So if some one could take a stab at it?

Sorry for the bit off topic.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks for taking the time to look at the code Smile

Are you talking about actually adding new methods to the monitor class?

(2014-06-06, 18:42)Martijn Wrote: Implementation would be something like this https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4766/files

Or are you only talking about triggering an onNotification()?

So insert something similar to this:

Code:
CAnnouncementManager::Get().Announce(GUI, "xbmc", "AddonUpdatesAvailable");
Probably with a different flag than GUI

After this:
(2014-06-06, 18:42)Martijn Wrote: and i think relevant file to add it to would be
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...y.cpp#L319 (some where after this line of code. next line does the GUI popup).
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10