• 3(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
If you install sox
Code:
sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-mp3
or mpg123
Code:
sudo apt-get install mpg123
the Google TTS which uses Google's online tts will be available. Also available on Ubuntu are festival, flite and pico2wave. Cepstral is supported and has nice voices but is not free.
For now I have it running with ESpeak. But I'll try the other ones as well. I thought of ESpeak because with that I know I can select a german voice. My GUI and most of my movies and tv shows are german.

Regards!
(2014-06-18, 15:07)donkamillo Wrote: For now I have it running with ESpeak. But I'll try the other ones as well. I thought of ESpeak because with that I know I can select a german voice. My GUI and most of my movies and tv shows are german.
I checked Google and it does German natively (some languages are actually done with eSpeak). You just have to select German as the language for the engine settings. pico2wave also has German, you just need to select de-DE for the language. Cepstral also has two German voices, but each of them are $35.
I tried to install the packages you mensioned above. But somehow I didn't get XBMC TTS to speak using Google TTS. I did see that it supports german. I will try the other engines you mensioned exept for the payware engine.

For now I am just satisfied with the ESpeak engine. I can browse my media, make settings, even got some of the TTS funcions mapped to my remote. Later I will try if I can use that with the PVR addons. That would make even my Dreambox more accessible for me.

That addon made my home entertainment life a lot easyer!

Regards!
PS: What I wrote sounds weird, I really have to work on my english gramma... :-(
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.76.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Will now speak version updates for addons even if they were updated while the TTS addon was disabled or not yet started
  • Added 'Keymap' category to settings and moved keymap options there
  • Added 'Install Default Keymap', 'Install Custom Keymap', 'Edit Custom Keymap', 'Reset Custom Keymap To Defaults' and 'Remove Installed Keymap' to Keymap category
  • XBMC no longer needs to be restarted on keymap install/update

The keymap editor will definitely work fine for keyboards. It may work for remotes but you may need to enable 'Remote control sends keyboard presses' in Settings:System:Input devices. I don't have a remote to test with so I haven't tested this.

If anyone asks for joypad support I will add it, but it won't be like the keyboard where you can just click a key to assign it to an action, you will have to enter the button number manually instead.

Hopefully I can get something set up remote-wise for testing. I have an old Xbox remote and receiver, but it looks like I'll have to jump through some hoops to get it working.
wow! talk about blink of an eye!

I may have missed it, but does google tts have a rate adjustment setting?
hi. can someone PLEASE help me. im gettin "script failed: xbmc tts." im not getting any verbal audio after the install. i tried to play around with diff. tts engine settings but still no audio. i dont know what settings to configure. im on windows 7 x64 gotham 13.1.thank you in advance.
(2014-06-28, 14:41)alexp4re Wrote: hi. can someone PLEASE help me. im gettin "script failed: xbmc tts." im not getting any verbal audio after the install. i tried to play around with diff. tts engine settings but still no audio. i dont know what settings to configure. im on windows 7 x64 gotham 13.1.thank you in advance.
I fired up my windows 7 Virtual Machine and updated the addon and am now getting script errors. I'm looking into it.
I tested on both 7 and 8.1 and got errors. They were different but both comtypes errors. Vista didn't have any errors. I'm out of time today but I'll figure it out hopefully tomorrow.
@ Traker1001 - this was a fresh install of this addon from scratch. i tried the default tts engine & play w/ others, but not getting any audio w/ a script failed error. im new to this forum, so i don't know how to provide a log via pastebin. is this an isolated incident? is anyone else on win 7 gotham 13.1 experiencing this? hopefully, Ruuk will fix it on his end, bcuz this addon looks promising.
@ Traker1001 - tried installer, but still gettin script failed. thanx for tryin. will wait for Ruuk to remedy this.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.77.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Update comtypes to the latest dev version
  • SAPI: Clear generated files on startup: possibly fixes issues with Win 7/8

alexp4re: This may fix the issue you are having. It fixed my errors, but the errors I was having may be unrelated. If this doesn't work I will probably need a log.

(2014-06-28, 13:12)jhall Wrote: wow! talk about blink of an eye!

I may have missed it, but does google tts have a rate adjustment setting?

It doesn't, but I will add it. You will need to use either SOX or MPlayer which are the players with rate adjustment. The Google API doesn't support that natively.
@ Ruuk - hi. im still gettin script failed with the latest update of ur addon. i also tried the installer method per Traker1001's suggestion & it didn't work either. i notice with this update in settings via sapi that i can see my tts speach engines on my computer whereas before it didn't show up & gave me an error. i provided a log for your review. hopefully i did it correctly, bcuz its my 1st time upload log.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=237835

THANKS for your help.
@ Traker1001/Ruuk - i installed NVDA per ur recommendation & it is workin with the addon on xbmc. But outside of xbmc, NVDA has so so much unnecessary dialog...annoucing every step i do on my computer & browsing on the internet. do you know how to disable all these features outside of xbmc on NVDA? i spent couple hours & can't figure it out.

@ Ruuk - can u please make the time to look at my log to see why ur addon is givin me script failed: it won't work with other tts engines available(sapi, google, etc.). im on win 7 x64 gotham 13.1.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=237898

p.s. love this addon. just a minor suggestion, it should have a delay feature (3 secs., 5 secs., etc.) before it announces. that way it doesn't try to say everything on your way before you get to ur selected item.

THANKS guys for your continue help.
NVDA is a screen reading software for blind and visually impaired people like me. It is supposed to work that way. Otherwise I couldn't browse the net, read mails or write in forums like this. :-)

Regards!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10