• 9(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
Whenever I launch XBMC now I get a sound playing. It's not a XBMC TTS sound, and NVDA doesn't read me anything, so I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me. It doesn't seem to bother anything, but I'm wondering if some text is coming up that the plugin can't see? To get the sound that I'm hearing, from the home screen with confluence, press H. It'll make the sound that I hear whenever I start up XBMC after the XBMC TTS ready sound plays.
Also, I really need to look over my posts before I post them from my phone. Man that's horrible writing. Thanks a lot dictation. haha. I am running what I believe should be Helix now, but pressing F4 does not stop speech from reading constantly the changelogs once started. Even after restarting the screenreader, it just starts up again. I'm guessing that it's sending information to the screenreader even after a restart.
(2014-09-18, 15:09)blindndangerous Wrote: Whenever I launch XBMC now I get a sound playing. It's not a XBMC TTS sound, and NVDA doesn't read me anything, so I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me. It doesn't seem to bother anything, but I'm wondering if some text is coming up that the plugin can't see? To get the sound that I'm hearing, from the home screen with confluence, press H. It'll make the sound that I hear whenever I start up XBMC after the XBMC TTS ready sound plays.
Also, I really need to look over my posts before I post them from my phone. Man that's horrible writing. Thanks a lot dictation. haha. I am running what I believe should be Helix now, but pressing F4 does not stop speech from reading constantly the changelogs once started. Even after restarting the screenreader, it just starts up again. I'm guessing that it's sending information to the screenreader even after a restart.

Pressing H brings up the PVR Live TV view. If you're not using PVR this will show a notification popup telling you that you don't have a PVR setup. I don't get a sound when I press H, but most likely this is the cause of what you are describing. Currently we don't have a way to speak notification dialogs, but that is something I will be working on in the future. Currently I can detect the dialog, and when it is shown I check for addon updates and have it speak those, which is kind of a hack way to handle those notifications, but I can't do that sort of thing with most notifications so it will have to wait on an internal change in XBMC/Kodi that allows access to the kind of label used in those dialogs.

As for F4 stopping speech, is the special Keymap installed? You can test this by pressing F1 which will repeat text for the current control. If it's not installed you need to go into Settings:Add-ons:Enabled Add-ons:Services:XBMC TTS:Configure and install the keymap from the keymap section. After this is installed you you can use F6 to bring up the settings in the future without navigating down all the hierarchy.
At first, I would like to send my deepest gratitudes for the creator of this amazing addon for which I have been looking for weeks. You are brilliant man! I have just a suggestion, is it possible for you to enable the first letter navigation for the tts? like when I press a letter, I go to that item starting with the initial I pressed? I have some free time for around a month, if you want me to test anything with regard to the addon, I am at your disposal.

one more question, is there a way that I can put all the items like system, video, setting and so forth as a list from top to down like we can do on windows through choosing details option?
(2014-09-20, 14:41)arsivci Wrote: At first, I would like to send my deepest gratitudes for the creator of this amazing addon for which I have been looking for weeks. You are brilliant man!
Thanks. I'm glad you are finding it useful Smile
(2014-09-20, 14:41)arsivci Wrote: I have just a suggestion, is it possible for you to enable the first letter navigation for the tts? like when I press a letter, I go to that item starting with the initial I pressed? I have some free time for around a month, if you want me to test anything with regard to the addon, I am at your disposal.
Shift+Letter will jump to the next item starting with that letter in a list control. Pressing it again will jump to the next. This won't work for button controls that happen to be aligned in a row or list, but it works in most places, such as the main selections on the Confluence home window and all media lists.
I didn't even know this worked until you asked this question and I started playing with my keyboard to see if anything already worked in any views Smile
(2014-09-20, 14:41)arsivci Wrote: one more question, is there a way that I can put all the items like system, video, setting and so forth as a list from top to down like we can do on windows through choosing details option?
You can install a different skin. Off the top of my head, Transparency has predominantly vertical menus, though I'm sure there are others. While most skins should work fine with the TTS addon, it has been mostly tested against Confluence and Quartz.
Let me mention a small issue that while playing a channel through a tv addon, if the channel does not get cleared, I mean if it remains in buffering position, the xbmc starts heavily hanging on, I dont know if the app hangs in general or I lose the tts voice connection with the XBMC. This does not happen all the time, but gets repeated sometimes.
The Amber skin works for the most part and has an option in the settings to use a verticle homescreen menu.
You can put things in your favorites, if you go to settings>appearance>skin>settings>addons I believe is the path. The problem is that we don't know what addon group does what. The menu goes addon 1, addon 2, addon 3, up to 5, but once it hits 5, pressing down again goes back to 1 for a different group. So it's trial and error to figure out which group will put addons in your favorite slots for music, videos and programs on your home screen.
Thanks for the skin suggestions, I've only really messed with confluence.
(2014-09-20, 20:06)arsivci Wrote: Let me mention a small issue that while playing a channel through a tv addon, if the channel does not get cleared, I mean if it remains in buffering position, the xbmc starts heavily hanging on, I dont know if the app hangs in general or I lose the tts voice connection with the XBMC. This does not happen all the time, but gets repeated sometimes.

Maybe a log would help? I haven't had this issue, so it's hard to guess what is going on without a log.
Hi guys. Was trying to reinstall xbmc with the tts package and it seems that it isn't downloading something. Was told by a friend of mine that I should post about it on this thread. Getting a 404 when running the install.
(2014-09-24, 15:59)matt02392 Wrote: Hi guys. Was trying to reinstall xbmc with the tts package and it seems that it isn't downloading something. Was told by a friend of mine that I should post about it on this thread. Getting a 404 when running the install.
I'll take a look. Most likely the version that the installer is pointing to has been taken down since it's a couple of releases behind.
I updated the installer. It will now install the latest Gotham stable release if XBMC is not already installed and then install the XBMC TTS addon and it's dependencies. I just tested it on Windows 8 and it worked fine.
I have got another proposal, cant you implement the tts subtitle reading option for the srt files? this feature exists in KM Player.
Thanks a lot.
(2014-09-27, 16:20)arsivci Wrote: I have got another proposal, cant you implement the tts subtitle reading option for the srt files? this feature exists in KM Player.
Thanks a lot.

It's in my to do list to investigate speaking subtitles. I couldn't find a way to get them directly from XBMC so most likely it will involve actually loading the srt file and synchronizing it with the video position, but I'll see when I get to it.

(2014-09-27, 02:30)Traker1001 Wrote: Just tried it on win 7 and all is good. Still no complaints all is functioning well. Smile

Cool. I'm finishing some maintenance on some of my other addons that I've neglected since I started working on this one, but then I think I'm going to localize all the strings and post it to the official repo.
Hello, in some addons like Project Free Tv, XBMC TTS faces a great hardship to read the lists of items, such as the movie link/sources of a specific movie chosen. I read that it says such as 8 items or links, but when ı try to move from Parent Directory to down, I could read only the first or the first two items. For the wrest, TTS simply stays silent. As an example, enter into Project Free Tv, make a general search as "China Town", choose the movie and try to go over all the links/sources, you would see that it does not navigate or stays mute. The aledged bug I tried to describe above is not addon specific, I face it indeed in many ones.
(2014-09-29, 14:33)arsivci Wrote: Hello, in some addons like Project Free Tv, XBMC TTS faces a great hardship to read the lists of items, such as the movie link/sources of a specific movie chosen. I read that it says such as 8 items or links, but when ı try to move from Parent Directory to down, I could read only the first or the first two items. For the wrest, TTS simply stays silent. As an example, enter into Project Free Tv, make a general search as "China Town", choose the movie and try to go over all the links/sources, you would see that it does not navigate or stays mute. The aledged bug I tried to describe above is not addon specific, I face it indeed in many ones.

It seems to be working fine for me. What skin are you using and what language do you use?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10