Win Only sound via WASAPI with MKV files.
Hi,
On my win 8 machine I always use the latest nightlies witch work perfect for me morst of the time, but since the nightly of 27 or 28-5 I have only sound with WASAPI - S/PDIF when playing MKV files. Interface sounds, WMV, AVI, MP3, MP4, FLAC, al are mute.
Tried resetting sound settings to default, but no succes.
Using Directsound - S/PDIF works just fine.

thanx.
Have you made sure volume is all the way up? as those are all non-passthrough formats for which XBMC will control the volume, while your MKV could have passthrough formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS for which XBMC can not control the volume. Hit + key to make sure volume is at 100%.
Thanks for your quick awnser.. Sounds plausible. I never use XBMC volume control but I will check, maybe I did it by mistake. Big Grin
Nope.. sound was indeed all the way up, I guess when volume was down it also would be with Directsound.
When I choose WASAPI - HDMI it works fine, but then sound goes to my tv and not my receiver witch lacks HDMI so I have to use optical to get surround.
I checked commits on GitHub, lots of code was removed around 27 - 28 may so maybe a little to much? Wink
Ah sorry completely missed you were using nightlies. So is sound ok on a nightly prior to the 27th? If you could isolate it down to the 1st nightly that causes breakage I can try myself. Also are the official Gotham releases ok so 13.0 final and 13.1 RC?
a Debug Log would be nice
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yep and provide a bit more info and exactly what is not working, can you run the working mkv's through MediaInfo just to confirm they have a passthrough format such as DTS, so we know for sure it's just where audio is decoded to PCM.
Oke, will try to find the last working nightly and post a log of both.
All my MKV's are working all other files (containers) and interface sounds do not.
I wil also try and disable passtrough in settings and see if sound stop working with MKV's.

thnx.
You mention HDMI can output sound.

It might be worth also doing a debug log with HDMI set as the output so any differences can be compared.
Hi,
Installed several nightlies up to Git:20140530 works fine, in Git:20140531 and up WASAPI - S/PDIF is broken.
The logfile is from the laterst not working version i installed, I tested various audiosettings so hopefully this log will be helpfull.
bug.log
Was the log helpfulHuh?
The log didn't tell me anything useful.

I've connected up an optical cable on one of my rigs and don't see any issues so I'm confident there's no generic problem. How are you installing the Nightlies? are they over the top of one another? have you tried a clean install, by running in portable mode for example so a brand new userdata folder is created?
Hi jjd-uk,
Oke, i will try a new install shortly
But when I install a nightly before 20140531 everything works fine, so something must have changed since that date.
Looking at the changelog in GitHub there were qiute a lot of changes.
You asked me to find the latest working version, so I did (20140530). Didn't you find any differences between the two?
I used that information to try the Nightlies from the 31st May and 2nd June but found WASAPI - SPDIF worked fine for me. I always run my tests on portable mode installs so as to leave my main personally use install alone, so they were blank installs which I did a minimal configuration on, so all I did was configure audio then add a video source and that was it before testing, that's why I ask how are you installing and running XBMC?

Could you post a screenshot of your audio settings?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only sound via WASAPI with MKV files.0