• 3(current)
Zotac CI320-520-540 Fanless
(2014-06-23, 15:19)solamnic Wrote: For now it seems that better passive cooling solution of a Haswell NUC would be

Akasa Newton H or Akasa Newton X
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=p...-NUC09-A1B

Well it looks good and price is reasonable. Anyone has tested it yet?
Zotac Support answered me really fast..

They stated that:
In general, the CPU maximum temperature is 100oC (may change for different ZBOX). The CPU operating temperature is in the specification rang.

Even the CPU temperature may be 80~90oC, it does not mean the memory and hard drive have the same temperature.
........"

So 90oC for CPU is normal according to their standards..
That's terrible.
Why? These are mobile parts. Not desktop parts.
(2014-06-23, 15:28)kyungrak Wrote:
(2014-06-23, 15:19)solamnic Wrote: For now it seems that better passive cooling solution of a Haswell NUC would be

Yes I am running an I5 board with HD5000 graphics in the Akasa Newton H. The hottest the GPU and CPU has reached is about 55 oC.

Only really used for 1080p content at the moment. Not sure about graphic intensive stuff.

Usually idles at about 40oC.
(2014-06-24, 12:13)jasonc Wrote:
(2014-06-23, 15:28)kyungrak Wrote:

Yes I am running an I5 board with HD5000 graphics in the Akasa Newton H. The hottest the GPU and CPU has reached is about 55 oC.

Only really used for 1080p content at the moment. Not sure about graphic intensive stuff.

Usually idles at about 40oC.

Thank you for the info,,,, Nod
(2014-06-24, 11:51)twelvebore Wrote: Why? These are mobile parts. Not desktop parts.

First of all, that they think they need to explain that it's only the CPU that gets hot Rofl, and secondly, 80-90 degrees is not good for normal operation for a cpu that has a Tjunction of 100. You need a little bit more power for something, it gets a little warmer, and then it already starts throttling, kind of defeating the purpose of getting that little more power. To each their own, I guess, but I'm going to pass on this one.
On the plus side, any other prebuilt baytrail atoms with built in spdif?
I thought the reason for the high temperatures is that they have left the protective film on the thermal pad. I read that "Once the film was removed the temperatures of the CPU dropped".
Any comment from Zotac so far?
(2014-06-24, 20:19)Zaaacharias Wrote: I thought the reason for the high temperatures is that they have left the protective film on the thermal pad. I read that "Once the film was removed the temperatures of the CPU dropped".

Good point, the reply will be interesting....!
(2014-06-24, 20:19)Zaaacharias Wrote: I thought the reason for the high temperatures is that they have left the protective film on the thermal pad. I read that "Once the film was removed the temperatures of the CPU dropped".

But why are the temperatures with the film removed are not mentioned?
This look promising, especially because it's fanless. I'm considering buying my first real HTPC for XBMC. I now have an Xtreamer, which works wonderfully, but doesn't have all the interface fanciness.

Would the i3 be enough? I know it's too early to really tell, but what would be the best option between this and a NUC?
(2014-06-24, 21:08)berut Wrote:

Read post #32... it has reply from Zotac Nod
80/90° for a cpu/gpu is unacceptable with a room temp of 22° i suppose in an open space

imho best passive case are model with heat pipe like hdplex , and after model like streacom or tranquilpc

I don't want to risk a fire in my house Big Grin
(2014-06-24, 22:02)solamnic Wrote:
(2014-06-24, 21:08)berut Wrote:

Read post #32... it has reply from Zotac Nod

They can't be serious about 80~90oC beeing an acceptable CPU temperature Confused
I was looking forward to making this my new HTPC but the temperature problem is a dealbreaker for me Sad
Let's wait and see what other reviewers have to say about this matter.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac CI320-520-540 Fanless1