Will you take XBMC to App Store?
Hello.

I saw that iOS 8 will bring access to Videotoolbox framework, I think this is the framework you need for decoding mkv, what do you think about this new possibility?

See you.
I still highly doubt a release on the App Store is likely or even possible.

I believe that XBMC, at least in its currently form, wont be able to take advantage of anything new from the ios 8 SDK? Maybe if it adds alot it might be worth upgrading to it - though if it is just Memphiz working on iOS it might be a huge ask. And I think there are also complications with Apple TV support as well.

Eitherway it was only announced a few hours ago. And beta at that, so probably too soon to even think about.
There's still a bunch of other stuff that would likely get in the way, but I must admit, I didn't expect them to even open up videotoolbox (if it really is opened up, that is). If Apple keeps this up then maybe one day it could happen, but there's still some roadblocks to go. A few examples include: add-ons are seen as additional code, codec licensing issues (which is currently an issue for us just for the Google Play store), some of the sandboxing stuff for other libraries (IIRC).

At the very least it might make it easier for XBMC to be developed if Apple really is documenting more APIs, App Store or not.
Ah yes, there is probably a long way to go before apple lets the add-on side of xbmc on the App Store. Definitely won't be seeing it. Licensing would also be a big issue.

But regardless, still interested to hear whether it is, as you said, any easier to develop xbmc with the new Apis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will you take XBMC to App Store?0