Bug Python xbmc.executejsonrpc fails before first login
I'm developing a service add-on that begins at startup. I've found that if I make calls with xbmc.executeJSONRPC() while the initial login screen is showing, the only response I ever get is {u'message': u'Method not found.', u'code': -32601}.

After choosing a profile, commands begin to work as normal. Even if I log out and go back to the login screen, the commands continue to work fine. If I don't set up multiple logins, there's no login screen, and there's never a problem. If I rewrite my addon to make an http request for the jsonrpc commands, they work as normal.

Has anybody else seen this?

I'm testing on Mac OS 10.8 with XBMC 13.0.
Sorry for the late reply. Must have missed this thread.

Yes JSON-RPC is only available after you have chosen a profile. The reason is that there are a lot of things that aren't ready for interaction yet like video and music library, settings etc. But they shouldn't work over HTTP, TCP or WebSockets either. Are you sure they work over HTTP?

The fact that they continue working after you logged out is a bug.

Ideally we'd have additional logic that makes the profile-independent methods (like Input.Left/Right/Up/Down, System.Quit, ...) available at all times and only enable the other methods when logged into a profile.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Python xbmc.executejsonrpc fails before first login0