SickBeard not snatching content? New to Usenet!
Hello All,

I am a long time XBMC user, and I've recently started to experiment with SickBeard.

Having followed the excellent guide by MrHaugen http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=sickbeard, SickBeard is running without issue and appears to be correctly configured.

I'm aware I have to hold a Usenet account, and preferably also a paid Indexing account.

As I don't know much about usenet and was curious, I found a free Usenet account provider:

free.xsusenet.com

I tried a few free indexing providers, but SickBeard kept reporting errors in accessing their URLs. I therefore signed up for a VIG account at:

https://nzbgeek.info/

This site includes a guide to entering their API & URL into sickbeard, so I know it is correct and SickBeard is not reporting any errors.

However, on searching for content (popular TV shows, of which I have watched via my Sky TV subscription previously), SickBeard simply reports the requested content as 'Continuing'. Having left SickBeard running all night, no content was 'snatched'.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to why this is? I'm guessing the free usenet account may be the issue, however as I understand it the usenet account controls your speed/connections etc, and it's the indexers that tell SickBeard where to find content - so if I have a paid account I would expect to find at least some of the content I was searching for?

Thank you!
To test....Click on one of the shows in your sickbeard want list, and then place a check in the box next to an episode that has already aired. Above the ep list there should be a drop down list. Select "wanted". This should send the episode to SABNZBD within a few seconds if everything is configured correctly.

Sorry would do screen prints to make explaining easier but not at my home computer right now.
I suspect it is the free usenet account. It looks like it has a retention of only 10 days. Not very long. I'd try a month of a premium service. You can usually find one for ~$8/mo for unlimited speed/access/etc.

I also have a VIG api key, and in combination with the built in sickbeard indexer, I rarely have problems adding to sabnzbd+. I suspect you have some configuration errors.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

Uncle Sammy..I have added my requested content and it successfully shows as "wanted", but as I say nothing then appears to happen. I did try going into each show requested and click on the magnifying glass next to each wanted status. It is replaced by a quick search animation..then a red "x". No content found.

Thrak76..this is what I suspect too..but im slightly confused..if I am using VIG api key to "find" content..then what is the purpose of the retention period? Is the VIG key essentially finding the content on the free usenet..but it has since expired and therefore been overwritten? No configuration errors present, so I guess ill have to do a months trial of a better usenet account to see if that works. Can anyone recommend a cheap account with a months trial or something similar?

Thanks again!
(2014-06-03, 22:08)DarrenOL Wrote: Thrak76..this is what I suspect too..but im slightly confused..if I am using VIG api key to "find" content..then what is the purpose of the retention period? Is the VIG key essentially finding the content on the free usenet..but it has since expired and therefore been overwritten? No configuration errors present, so I guess ill have to do a months trial of a better usenet account to see if that works. Can anyone recommend a cheap account with a months trial or something similar?

Thanks again!

Retention period is the amount of time that a usenet server will reliably host an article. So if your retention period is 10 days, then any article older than 10 days will not be able to download. I also noticed that that free usenet only allowed 2 connections at once, which could also be an issue. Premium servers allow for 1800+ days of retention and ~12 connection at once, and SSL connections too.
What confuses me in your setup is that fact that nothing is being found. You are correct in your thinking about the indexers. VIG can find the articles, and regardless of the retention period, sickbeard should still send along to sabnzbd+. However, your chances of actually downloading once it's in the queue are much lower with 10 days of retention. Sabnzbd will present "missing articles","corrupt rar", "out of server retention?", etc.. errors.
This is why I suspect configuration issues. You'd help your issue out by perhaps posting some screens of your search and server config screens. As you say, you are a newb to this stuff, and you just may not be seeing the errors.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Thumbs Up 
Ok thank you for the clarification.

I signed up for Newshosting, but nothing worked still after changing the settings. I was just about to post screenshots when I noted the mistake - the sickbeard Episode Search settings page still had the Usenet Retention period set to the free usenet period of '10 days'. Changing this to Newshosting's '2118 days' fixed the issue, and my requested content is now being snatched.

Many thanks for your help - very much appreciated! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SickBeard not snatching content? New to Usenet!0