Solved Scrapers Failing
I am a big anti-spam opponent and, accordingly, am very savvy when it comes to blocking and filtering technologies. As an example, my "HOSTS" file (for those of you that know what that is) lists so many advertiser IP addresses it is nearly 1,000 times bigger than the average user's HOSTS file. Needless to say, when I surf the Internet, my browser moves around like lightening--even on this older system I'm using.

Sometimes scrapers fail simply because an advertisement they must load is blocked by my system and cannot give the proper "go ahead" to load the next thing--the desired video.

So to everyone who is having problems seeing what you expect to see on the Internet (regardless of what it is), take a moment and make sure that "ad blocking", "Safe search", "anti-spam", "anti-fishing", anti-virus software you're using is not the basic problem. Before crying foul about scrapers, turn off your anti-virus or other filtering software. It could save the developers a great deal of grief.

Understand this: Many sites will not serve up audio or video until you have "paid the price" and viewed the advertisement they make revenue from. If a scraper is worth its salt, it will keep all of this in the background where you will never see it. That is, unless you MUST see it, as in the case of a CAPTCHA. Could your blocking software be hindering the delivery of a captcha you're supposed to respond to? Mine was. On 2 different scrapers.

My system is set up to use a special (practically bare) HOSTS file when XBMC is running. Since I did that, I have never had an updated scraper fail.

My 2 cents...

-= WordTickler =-
The two default scrapers (tvdb.com for tv and tmdb.org for movies) use an api that returns xml data, not ads or videos or anything else that requires anyone to block it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrapers Failing1