Win What hardware is needed for 4K
Hey,

Seeing as 4K is becoming affordable now, I was wondering what sort of spec would be required to output 4K ?

I currently have Celeron G1610, 4GB ram and nvidia gt610 2GB, So im assuming im going to need an upgrade.

Thanks
The first and most important thing is to have a GPU that supports that resolution. You can check which NVIDIA cards support 4k in their web (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technolo...orted-gpus).
Ok thanks, What about CPU/RAM ? Anything special ?
For a Linux system I think 4Gb is more than enough, for Windows you could add some more.

As for the CPU, I haven't tested myself, but an average 3rd or 4th generation i5 should be more than enough.
The other issue is the codec used for compression of the 4K content. It is expected that HEVC/H265 is likely to be used. This is more computationally advanced than AVC/H264 and is likely to require CPU rather than GPU/VPU acceleration initially until HEVC hardware acceleration is implemented. AIUI HEVC is quite computationally expensive - so a reasonably powerful CPU may be required for HEVC 4K decoding. Particularly for 50/60p broadcast content (particularly sport) as opposed to the lower frame rate 24p stuff used for drama.

AIUI the 4K World Cup football (soccer to those in North America) stuff being tested around the world - the BBC are using Digital Terrestrial and IPTV systems for their World Cup trials - is likely to use HEVC.

Some of the latest 4K TVs have HEVC decoders integrated into them - but whether there is a way of using them easily (apart from within proprietary smart TV apps) is another matter.

Running a 4K GUI in XBMC with 1080p or lower resolution stuff upscaled may be far less computationally demanding though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What hardware is needed for 4K0