XBMC and CoreAVC (not yet)
@spiff, that is not entirely true; yes the CoreAVC decoder does support multi-threading for (much) faster decoding on a dual-core/CPU machine but CoreAVC will also run faster on a single-core/CPU machine (including non-HyperThreaded processors) than FFmpeg's own open source H.264 decoder. Remember that CoreAVC is a commersial codec from a development-house that have full access to the H.264 specification and paid employees that have spent a lot of time optimizing the CoreAVC code.

@Diontae16, I think Nuka is wanting someone to to test/benchmark his samples on a Linux computer (a PC, not an Xbox) using MPlayer with an without this patch http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/ and to stay true both test/benchmark when comparing to standard MPlayer you should test it all on a single-core/CPU machine (that does not even have Hyper-Threaded enabled).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
you should also remember that the cpu in the xbox is ancient and that the coreavc devs does not focus on non-sse2 733mhz celerons with small l1/l2 caches.
Question 
I did not think of the SSE (Intel Pentium III), SSE2 (Intel Pentium 4), SSE3 (Intel Core) optimizations that CoreAVC must be using.

So on the Xbox's 733Mhz Intel Pentium III processor CoreAVC might be able to produce what compared to FFmpeg?, 1 more FPS?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
While it's true that the Xbox CPU does not even have SSE2, nither did the entire Athlon XP series from AMD, like my 3200+ but CoreAVC still offers a signifigant improvement of like 25-30% on my Athlon. I think that we would still see a 25-30% increase of decoding efficency on the Xbox if CoreAVC could be wedged in.

However I don't think this will 'Fix' the h.264 problem, merely make it less pronounced. There are cases where certian complicated h.264 480p encoded videos on the Xbox drop to about 1fps when decoding, a 30% increase in decoding speed would not eliminate these cases.

Also, addressing something previously said in this thread about 720p and how the Xbox will never decode native 720p video sources. That's quite a lie. I've done it without dropping frames at all, you just have to use MPEG-2. Smile Which, while you may laugh at it, we use XBMC to turn Xbox's into streaming video set top boxes taking feeds from a VLC server. The quality is quite nice when you considder that network bandwidth is cheaper than CPU power Smile
Izumi, Xbox/XBMC does 720p OAR MPEG4 (divx/xvid) just fine if digital audio decoding is used and/or plugh's xvid modifications are used. But you'll find that most CHD releases play without drops too - even streamed from a NAS/server. So there is no real reason for using MPEG2
Exclamation 
You guys are getting off-topic!
coreavc codec produces about 5 to 10% improved performance in general of ffmpeg on standard xbox hardware.
but i've have no intention on making it available to general users, since I don't feel like getting shit from corecodec when users start using pirated version of it. and this is final untill someone from corecodec tell me to go ahead and how to wish me to handle licencing information.

not to mention the fact that a mplayer with coreavc support totally crashes xbmc when invalid or no licening info is available.

I recall loads of people complaining about how buggy CoreAVC is on Doom9 forums.
Also, isnt development halted?
elupus, then how about doing something similar to what GogoAckman did with the fba-xxx emulator. Instead of including the latest drivers, he made a batch document that'd do the patching for us and allow us to play these latter games. Maybe you can do something similar and create a batch document, where it'd register an entry for coreavc to be useable on the xbmc. Betaboy then can't do anything to you, because you only create a leeway. You can also refer to emulation, where developers only applies the emulator, but not the actual rom/isos Big Grin
lana lang
Thumbs Up 
spiff Wrote:90% of coreavc's speed comes from its multithreading (i.e. ability to use multiple cores..)
OFF-TOPIC for XBMC for Xbox version, but ON-TOPIC only for XBMC for Linux port version:

FYI; the very latest FFmpeg SVN (so not in the XBMC SVN yet!) now supports multi-threading decoding of H.264 (or to be more specific "slice-based parallel H.264 decoding") in order to to speed up H.264 decoding on multiple processors (CPUs). Though this will not help playing x264/h264 encoded video on the Xbox, it will help future versions of XBMC Linux port to better handle playback of such material (on dual-core and SMP computers). And this is just the first level in decoding parallelzation in FFmpeg, bringing it one step closer to becoming up-to-par with the CoreAVC decoder.

NOTE! Again, this does will not increase the decoding speed on the Xbox as the Xbox processor (CPU) only support one thread.
Can't view 4k video in XBMC on i7-860 GeForce 560Ti, XBMC 12. DXVA is not available for 4k, and software decoding (ffmpeg) use only one core, no MT in XBMC 12 still.
But coreavc in software mode play this 4K very well.
So, when will me ffmpeg MT in XBMC or how use CoreAVC in new XBMC ?
Congratulations, you win a trout prize for a) useless cross-posing and b) bumping a thread that was last posted to in 2007 (six years ago)
davilla don't get tricked bay those fbi honey pots ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and CoreAVC (not yet)0