Freescale iMX6 XBMC box on Indiegogo
(2014-06-09, 16:42)aeropriest Wrote: - Full 1080p XBMC GUI rendering
Which GUI would that be, exactly?

I thought that I read someplace that Confluence is only 720p (by its very nature).
Quote:- No port-forwarding configuration required
Huh? I don't even understand what you mean by this. What boxes that run XBMC requite "port forwarding configuration"?

All of the other features you mentioned sound really good.

I am still very much wondering about the stackable optical media drive however. I ask again... What good will that be unless you also ship deCSS software? And if you do that, how do you plan to avoid getting sued, big time, by the MPAA? (at least in the United States, where even if you don't show up to court, they will try hard to take all of your money and all of your revenue stream)

Quote:...this project is funded by me and my wife so far
Oh! Well, that does sort of change things. Obviously, in that case, you can't go around giving out a lot of freebies. (Sorry. I assumed that you had deeper funding because the images I saw of your box, and the presentation looked very professional and very upscale.)
Quote:Plastic with lots of holes is good idea, would probably do that however think about keeping an ugly box next to super expensive high definition TV
Ventillation holes do not have to be ugly. Drill lots of regular (but small) round holes in the box, but only on the sides and (maybe) the back, and drill them at a 45 degree angle to the surface. That will make them look stylish.

And by the way, after posting about the heat in my A/V cabinet the other day, I took the outdoor sensor from my indoor/outdoor thermometer and placed in in my A/V cabinet on top of a small plastic box (to make sure it would measure the ambient air temp and not the temp of the metal on the top side of my Blu-Ray player). I then let it stabilize for awhile and then took two readings after at least 1/2 hour. One came out at 97.7 degrees F and the other at 98.1 degrees F. In short, I wasn't kidding... it gets really hot in there (because of the stupid/antiquated Comcast/Motorola DVR box). I have no idea how the Roku 3 manges to withstand it... with no veltillation even.
Quote:Board layout is still prototype, going into production we require minimum 500 units so we can still change the ports, connection and layout
Good! I really hope that you do move the ports around like I suggested. And if you create a slot in the front where people can install whatever kind of (2.5") hard drive they want (sort of like the Pivos AIOS, but much easier to install a new/different drive, i.e. just by popping one in) that that would be absolutely fantastic.
- You are right about Confluence, we wrote our own skin with full 1080p support, please have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDDPNrFAPmg (pictures/videos/contacts sync still works with confluence because of our changes in the XBMC core)

- We want to allow users to be able to enjoy their XBMC on their iOS/Android devices when they are on the same WiFi as their EzeeCube or while they are away(please try out the app beta, hence may be scratchy, from app store available at below links, makes sure UPnP and Webserver is enabled on your XBMC for the app to work)

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...e.ezeesync
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/ezeesync...28382?mt=8

- Any idea how do these guys support blu-ray http://www.vidon.me/products.htm we might follow same steps. Glad you brought it our attention

- Glad you found our campaign professional, we worked super hard to find best deals, had to learn and do many thing ourselves to save cost (photoshop, video shootinga and editing, HTML, flash etc and asking friends favors to act)

- AppleTV has no holes either and so we took it apart to find the heat sink at the bottom, we would make holes and use heat sink to improve the ventilation (we got rid of some features such as internal power supply, Qi wireless charging for phones) to keep the box cooler.

- Thanks for the layout feedback, we would consider those pointers in mind, we did discuss about offering version of EzeeCube without HDD however as of now we think it would defeat the purpose of the product to provide complete 'media hub for all your stuff' and to bring non XBMC users to XBMC platform

- Wolfgar is looking into stackable or USB based TV tuner support and we should be offering it as one of the perks soon

- There are still few units available for $179 for hackers like you guys, you will get it 3 months (Oct 2014) before general public, you guys can try it out and give more feedback. These units would have full 1 year warranty, we will replace it for you even if anything breaks, you can open it, take it apart, hack it, do whatever you like
Legit BD playback is pretty much out of the question, not only would you have to license AACS, BD+ but you would also have to implement the infamous Cinavia DRM which is a requirement on all BD players these days, make no mistake the BD licensing authority will hunt you down if it somehow plays physical BD disc's at all out of the box.

The Vidonme box replaces the core media player of XBMC with their own in-house one which is how it plays ripped iso/bdmv with menus. Untouched XBMC supports libbluray the open source BD playback project, menu support is sparse but does work on a handful of titles.

I really like the physical design of the units, nice work.

As it happens I already have a iMX6 device but it's a really nice platform with plenty of potential and it runs XBMC 60fps at 1080p.
(2014-06-10, 12:49)aeropriest Wrote: - Any idea how do these guys support blu-ray http://www.vidon.me/products.htm we might follow same steps. Glad you brought it our attention
I really hope that you are, because I am supportive of your project, and I am hoping that I will save you from a lot of terrible grief. You may not have been aware of it, but you are treading on very dangerous gound, legally speaking.

As Starstream said, there are corporate interests here in the United States who will most definietly hunt you down and will do everything possible to ruin your business unless you are very very careful about the exact way you try to enable people to play either copy protected DVDs or copy protected Blu-Ray disks (or even non-copy-protected Blu-Rays, I guess). And you would be making a big mistake, I think, to assume that you will be somehow magically immune to the concerted efforts these corporate interests just because you are physically located in China. That is not the important question. The important question is: Where are your customers? If a lot of them are in the United States, then you will be shipping products to the United States. You might possibly be bankrupted if you shipped, say, 1,000 units in a batch to a distributor in the United State and if (because of legal proceedings against you here) those were all seized by Customs and held indefinitely, or at least until you appeared in a U.S. courtroom to defend yourself (where you would surely lose anyway). And that's not all. Depending on a number of different factors, your legal adversaries might even/also be able to seize your company's domain name, thus making your main web site suddenly go dark. How will you make any sales then?

Let me make two suggestions:

1) Go to Google and do a search for "linking to deCSS" and then start reading... a lot. In particular, the info at this link is likely to be very enlightening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_C..._Reimerdes

There are two important points to be understood from the above Wikipedia article, and from all of the other things that you can find online about this topic, i.e. (a) in the end the movie studios won, and also (b) they were so furious about the fact that people were able to play copyrighted movies without their permission (on hardware that they had not approved or received any royalty payments for) that they (the movie studios) even started legally hassling even those people and web sites that only linked to copies of deCSS that were actually stored elsewhere on the Internet. Oh! Yes! And also you should understand that these organizations have almost unlimited money to spend on lawsuits and other ways to try to ruin your business, if you get on the wrong side of them. (And do not make the mistake of thinking that the reach of U.S. laws would never extend to Hong Kong. Is Edward Snowden still there? No!)

2) I am most definitely not a lawyer, and thus cannot give you any legal advice which is worth anything more than what you paid for it (i.e. nothing), however let me say that it is my belief that you might possibly be legally OK if you were to ship out units (or add-ons) that contain optical media drives and also place into the package with each one of those a piece of physical paper on which would be written clear and simple instructions to the end user about he/she could download, from the Internet, whatever additional libraries might be needed to playback either DVDs or Blu-Rays or both. That makes work for the end user, but not very much, and it would likely keep you out of legal trouble.

You see, we have this thing here in the U.S. called The First Amendment which protects our rights to freedom of speech, and freedom of writing. Something that is written on a physical piece of paper is likely to receive the maximum legal protection of the First Amendment (for historical and other reasons). As noted on the Wikipedia page I have referenced above, the (legal) problem with the hyperlinking (on the web) to sites that were distributing the deCSS code was found by the judge in the case to be "the functional equivalent of transferring DeCSS code to the user themselves." Many people in this country and elsewhere disagree (in some cases massively) with that particular legal conclusion, but that is what the judge said, and that legal precedent still stands. Hoever it would be vastly harder and arguably impossible for any legal Plaintiff here in these United States to say that by distributing a mere piece of paper (with some black marks on it) that what you are doing is "the functional equivalent" of actually transferring the (illegal) code to the end user.

But in order to be safe, before you go out and base (or risk) your whole business (and your whole life too perhaps) on any plan to sell boxes that can play DVDs or Blu-Rays, you really should consult with an actual attorney... hopefully one who actually has some background in this specific area of law.

Of course, if you don't have the money for that... and I am guessing that you don't... then you might consider my simple suggestion above. Neither I nor anyone else can guarrantee that doing that will keep you 100% safe from legal troubles, but I do believe that it will make it rather substantially less likely that you will be sued, i.e. for alleged violations of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Just one more thing... If you do in fact go with that plan (ie. distributing download instructions on paper, packed in with every optical drive you ship) then you would be well advised to try to put as many different possible downloading URLs on that piece of paper as possible. You don't want to have to snail-mail out to your customers new pieces of paper if the movie studios manage to get the first web site you reference taken down, or even the first five on your list.

Oh! And about VidOn.Me.... I really don't know how they are getting away with playing optical media, but I did just peruse their web site (and also the WHOIS records for their domain) and I found absolutely nothing that would in any way give away their actual physical location. I have studied the behavior of spammers (and studied how to track them down) for more than 15 years and this is what a lot of them do also. They hide. They hide in order to avoid getting sued. (If you cannot serve them, physically, at a physical location, with legal papers, then in most cases you can't sue them.)

So you have to ask yourself: Is this the way you want to run your business and your product and your life? Always in hiding? If you will be content to have a small and inconsequential business and product, then maybe the anser is "yes". Otherwise, you will have to find some other solution or else give up on the (stackable) optical drive module entirely.
(2014-06-10, 12:49)aeropriest Wrote: - Wolfgar is looking into stackable or USB based TV tuner support...

Allow me just to mention that there are digital tuners and then there are digital tuners, and they are not all the same, in terms of quality... as I myself learned the hard way.

I am 37 miles from the clump of network TV transmission towers in my region, and I also have some trees between me and them. I purchased one of the original model SiliconDust HDHomeRun boxes and it only just barely brought in a subset of those stations, and really, not very well (i.e. some occasional breaking up, even after I spent hours tying to get the antenna pointed just perfectly).

I know that (at 37 miles from the transmitters) I am well outside of what these things were rated for, so I don't really blame the company. I'm sure that if I was inside 25 miles and with no trees in the way, then my reception would be great. But both my previous flat screen TV and my current one were both able to pull in all local stations with no problems and no breakups.

I'm just making the point that not all of these things (digital tuners) are created equal. Some perform a lot better than others.

Now I plan to replace my (original/vintage) HDHomeRun with a newer model (HDHR4-2US) which some people have said provides much improved reception.
Thanks for great advise robaby, we will definitely consider that and hopefully dont waste our life savings Smile

we have also explored the options how other USB based blu-ray players work and that is where idea came from, (experimentail and theoritcal so far) also explored the idea of stacking simple blu-ray player by exposing HDMI receiver on the base unit and bypass the HDMI signals directly to TV.

so far comments from backers on the campaign suggest they are more interested in stackabale hard-drive and tv tuner card with PVR functionality.

trying to keep project costs low, we did not engage expansive PR firms (unlike most of these campaigns do with big fundings) and we are trying to reach out to you guys, team XBMC, friends/family and general XBMC users to support us reach the campaign goal.

we have been reviewed by many smaller bloggers, big ones would't reply our message unless it came from PR firms, we have had good start and amazing support from our family & friends (they saw us working so hard) little be more exposure can make this happen.

any recommendations you guys would have to make our campaign reach more people? (dont think we can post on XBMC facebook or google+ page, we know team XBMC cant officially affiliate with it (though they did mentioned Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE on the fb page)
I think you are preaching to the converted when you are looking at here, XBMC facebook etc. People who are on this forum or xbmc facebook probably already have a machine running xbmc, and don't need a new one.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Guys

We have been getting lot of questions about comparing EzeeCube to other boxes, since some of the features get fairly technical and visitors on the campaign may not resonate with them, thought I would post it here to get your feedback (want to post it as separate thread as "XBMC box with feature" would that be against the forum rules?)

While most boxes which are able to run XBMC are nothing more than a single piece of hardware or an (unofficial) android box, ezeecube is designed from the beginning as a real product bundled with dedicated software to provide users with a smooth and friendly experience to sync their photos and much more.

First, you are guaranteed to have fully supported hardware out of the box : You won't discover that some features are simply not available as it is too often the case with android based quickly packaged boxes :

High resolution rendering - EzeeCube supports full 1080p XBMC GUI rendering (instead of upscaling from 720p as it is often the cas with ARM based boxes)
Hardware video decoding - EzeeCube is ready to decode various video formats (please refer to supported video formats on the campaign) using imx6 VPU for smooth, CPU friendly and energy efficient video playback
Passthrough Audio - EzeeCube supports Dolby Digital and DTS audio passthrough over HDMI and SPDIF
HD audio support - EzeeCube supports DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD over HDMI
Control from TV remote - EzeeCube supports CEC out of the box so that you can navigate EzeeCube menus with your existing remote control
Hardware de-interlacing - EzeeCube de-interlaces interleaved video by a hardware motion filter to provide good quality TV viewing

Then the team will strive to provide high quality and ready to use software.
Not only by packaging existing bricks such as :
Ready to use XBMC - EzeeCube comes with pre installed and pre configured XBMC, including useful addons
PVR Support - EzeeCube allows to record your favourite programs and to watch TV as part of ready to use liveTV function
Easy local share - EzeeCube allows to sync and share media with your local computers (may they be OS X, Windows or Linux based) thanks to owncloud

But Ezeecube also implements and provides specific software features such as
EzeeSync app - EzeeSync app for iOS/Android devices automatically connects to the EzeeCube and use your iOS/Android device to navigate EzeeCube menus
Content sync - EzeeCube automatically syncs content from iOS/Android devices via EzeeSync app
Content anywhere - You can enjoy your XBMC content anywhere via EzeeSync app on your iOS/Android devices without any port-forwarding
Easy Backup - EzeeCube allows for trivial backup, may it be on a stacked HDD, an external HDD or by safe (ie encrypted) uploads to online storage
Easy Setup - EzeeCube provides a dedicated XBMC addon to configure the system (network...)
Easy Update - EzeeCube allows for automatic and safe (no way to brick the device) software updates
Easy Reset to factory - EzeeCube bundles a maintenance mode to be able to restore the product in its factory state without hassle in a few minutes

Ezeecube is definitively "user friendly" oriented as a whole :
Plug and play : You just need to plug ezeecube and it is ready to use
Nice : Ezeecube is a carefully designed box with high Wife Acceptance Factor ;-)
Easy to stack accessories - Stackable accessories for EzeeCube require no cables nor driver installation. Simply place them on top of EzeeCube and, again, it's ready to use

Some advanced users may fear Ezeecube is too user friendly to match their needs.
On the contrary, Ezeecube is also far better than most boxes/boards for them :
Real Linux kernel - Ezeecube is not yet another android only device. You have a bare full featured Linux kernel (especially no network limitations related to the paranoid android network, no strict constraints regarding partitions, no disconnection because of aggressive powersaving...)
All open source code provided - Ezeecube is built out of many open source projects and the team respects open source licensing for real by providing all source code of open source components (u-boot, linux kernel, xbmc...)
Ready for ARM headless distro - Ezeecube comes with a preconfigured linux container (lxc) that enables to install a headless ARM distro (ubuntu, debian, opensuse...) side by side with the core software and to add any server features that you can think about
Custom stackable extensions - The will provide all required hardware specification to allow to design a PCB and create a custom extension ready to stack on Ezeecube to add dedicated features
(2014-06-11, 10:06)aeropriest Wrote: Ready for ARM headless distro - Ezeecube comes with a preconfigured linux container (lxc) that enables to install a headless ARM distro (ubuntu, debian, opensuse...) side by side with the core software and to add any server features that you can think about

Why not also have Docker ?
It would be much easier for users to install and manage apps like Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Pydio and etc via Docker.
Other than the high price relative to the hardware specifications for today's standard on digital media players, I think that this box is a nice concept. It's just unfortunate that it looks like you seem to be making many of same mistakes as Qubi did with their Kickstarter with their similar XBMC based product. If I would have to guess their main failure was poor marketing combined, as they did not properly present and highlight the extra value that you would actually get for that premium cost.

I'm not a marketing expert either but I believe that the people who are willing to pay a premium for a product also expect higher quality, more value-added features out-of-the-box, a long life-cycle and long-term support, especially if the price is high for the relatively low-end hardware, like EzeeCube looks to be. Just look at Apple buyers for example. Qubi had much better underlying hardware at a lower price than EzeeCube, and yet they failed. Maybe try to learn from some the mistakes that Qubi did?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qubi...ade-simple
https://www.facebook.com/Qubitv
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=177399

You really need to begin by building a larger user-base and a loyal community around your product, for in practice you are now trying to sell beta test boxes for the price the finished product would have on the shelf of a retail store. Before you can set a such high price for the hardware you first need to prove that you will offer great support and that the product is here to stay, and only then can your raise the price. So maybe do what some people here suggested and sell the box without profit at first. As a new start-up company you should look into getting some angel investors in your company first to raise capital to cover your costs now. and only after you built a satisfied user-base then try to raise some venture capital to be able to manufacture more boxes in bulk to keep cost down.

Boxee was a another company that succeeded in all this in the beginning before they started spiraling down into decent after they again and again showed that they they now care about their existing user-base and instead only wanted to gain new users, forgetting about maintaining the needs of their already large user-base of their previous products. Checkout this detailed story about a few lessons to learn from Boxee failures:
http://xbmc.us/njbetzen/2013/06/14/rip-b...-to-learn/

In any case, you really need to be clear and do a better job with marketing, explaining why exactly people should buy your relatively expensive box instead of a less expensive popular media player like example Pivos XIOS DS / Pivos XIOS XS, WD TV, or Ruku. The digital media player market is extremely crowded today, so the price have to either be very low or the premium features need to be something extra special, and you need to have a superb marketing team behind you. Suggest that you do a hire a professional marketing firm and ask them to better job in getting the news out there that this is not just another digital media player but instead a Smart TV convergence device, so highlight what is extra special about it, which right now sound to be your "home cloud" / "private cloud storage" features, meaning that you are also competing with SheevaPlug like products http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug such as the commercial Pogoplug by Cloud Engines, or the free and open source OwnCloud

Pogoplug have quite good marketing, thus borrowing some ideas from them might not be a bad idea
https://pogoplug.com
https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/pogoplug/id306217576
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ug.android

OwnCloud presents itself very nice too http://owncloud.com
(2014-06-11, 10:49)dhead Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 10:06)aeropriest Wrote: Ready for ARM headless distro - Ezeecube comes with a preconfigured linux container (lxc) that enables to install a headless ARM distro (ubuntu, debian, opensuse...) side by side with the core software and to add any server features that you can think about

It would be much easier for users to install and manage apps like Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Pydio and etc via Docker.
I assume that LXC (LinuX Containers) does indeed refer to Docker here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_%28software%29
Thanks again Rocker, very good feedback, sad but true we are lacking marketing, you probably missed earlier discussion on this thread, so far the project is funded only be me and my wife, we did all this almost all our own and lots of help from Wolfgar.

wolfgar and I spent lot of time with hardware engineers to 'right size' XBMC box with very specially chosen components instead of over-configure it.

good you mentioned Nathan's article about Boxee, learning from that, we are keeping it open source, making EzeeCube hackable (USB OTG, Factory reset etc), making stackable accessories development kit to community to build whatever they need (could be a RetroGame player stack-on? stackable wifi router? camera module to video conf with your mother who already knows how to turn on TV)

Learning everyday, so hopefully marketing will come around as well. We are based in California where you can raise 10m for selling tissue paper online (exaggeration of course) however if we can get to our campaign goal, we might get noticed, might be able raise enough to get the marketing professionals and explain to our end users. Check out https://www.mylyve.com/lyvehome, big funding, 90 people building another closed source box.

You rightly mentioned its actually 'media a media convergence device' basically 'stackable media hub for all your stuff'. We knew we will have problem explaining to end users (home users, non technical old people, house wife etc) how simple it really is, they cant believe this can be done (just plug-in EzeeCube, download EzeeSync app, everything is synched) that is why we need help from experts here at XBMC to explain to them (I want to give an EzeeCube to my mother-in-law so that I can directly send my daughters photos and videos to her TV, without setting things or what not)

if we can get just 500 units into production, we can already start pushing for bringing prices down, below features in a hackable box for $179 is not for profit (we went for Dual core full instead of dual core light or quad core just strike the balance of features with prices)

(2014-06-11, 10:06)aeropriest Wrote: Guys

We have been getting lot of questions about comparing EzeeCube to other boxes, since some of the features get fairly technical and visitors on the campaign may not resonate with them, thought I would post it here to get your feedback (want to post it as separate thread as "XBMC box with feature" would that be against the forum rules?)

While most boxes which are able to run XBMC are nothing more than a single piece of hardware or an (unofficial) android box, ezeecube is designed from the beginning as a real product bundled with dedicated software to provide users with a smooth and friendly experience to sync their photos and much more.

First, you are guaranteed to have fully supported hardware out of the box : You won't discover that some features are simply not available as it is too often the case with android based quickly packaged boxes :

High resolution rendering - EzeeCube supports full 1080p XBMC GUI rendering (instead of upscaling from 720p as it is often the cas with ARM based boxes)
Hardware video decoding - EzeeCube is ready to decode various video formats (please refer to supported video formats on the campaign) using imx6 VPU for smooth, CPU friendly and energy efficient video playback
Passthrough Audio - EzeeCube supports Dolby Digital and DTS audio passthrough over HDMI and SPDIF
HD audio support - EzeeCube supports DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD over HDMI
Control from TV remote - EzeeCube supports CEC out of the box so that you can navigate EzeeCube menus with your existing remote control
Hardware de-interlacing - EzeeCube de-interlaces interleaved video by a hardware motion filter to provide good quality TV viewing

Then the team will strive to provide high quality and ready to use software.
Not only by packaging existing bricks such as :
Ready to use XBMC - EzeeCube comes with pre installed and pre configured XBMC, including useful addons
PVR Support - EzeeCube allows to record your favourite programs and to watch TV as part of ready to use liveTV function
Easy local share - EzeeCube allows to sync and share media with your local computers (may they be OS X, Windows or Linux based) thanks to owncloud

But Ezeecube also implements and provides specific software features such as
EzeeSync app - EzeeSync app for iOS/Android devices automatically connects to the EzeeCube and use your iOS/Android device to navigate EzeeCube menus
Content sync - EzeeCube automatically syncs content from iOS/Android devices via EzeeSync app
Content anywhere - You can enjoy your XBMC content anywhere via EzeeSync app on your iOS/Android devices without any port-forwarding
Easy Backup - EzeeCube allows for trivial backup, may it be on a stacked HDD, an external HDD or by safe (ie encrypted) uploads to online storage
Easy Setup - EzeeCube provides a dedicated XBMC addon to configure the system (network...)
Easy Update - EzeeCube allows for automatic and safe (no way to brick the device) software updates
Easy Reset to factory - EzeeCube bundles a maintenance mode to be able to restore the product in its factory state without hassle in a few minutes

Ezeecube is definitively "user friendly" oriented as a whole :
Plug and play : You just need to plug ezeecube and it is ready to use
Nice : Ezeecube is a carefully designed box with high Wife Acceptance Factor ;-)
Easy to stack accessories - Stackable accessories for EzeeCube require no cables nor driver installation. Simply place them on top of EzeeCube and, again, it's ready to use

Some advanced users may fear Ezeecube is too user friendly to match their needs.
On the contrary, Ezeecube is also far better than most boxes/boards for them :
Real Linux kernel - Ezeecube is not yet another android only device. You have a bare full featured Linux kernel (especially no network limitations related to the paranoid android network, no strict constraints regarding partitions, no disconnection because of aggressive powersaving...)
All open source code provided - Ezeecube is built out of many open source projects and the team respects open source licensing for real by providing all source code of open source components (u-boot, linux kernel, xbmc...)
Ready for ARM headless distro - Ezeecube comes with a preconfigured linux container (lxc) that enables to install a headless ARM distro (ubuntu, debian, opensuse...) side by side with the core software and to add any server features that you can think about
Custom stackable extensions - The will provide all required hardware specification to allow to design a PCB and create a custom extension ready to stack on Ezeecube to add dedicated features
(2014-06-11, 12:24)RockerC Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 10:49)dhead Wrote:

I assume that LXC (LinuX Containers) does indeed refer to Docker here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_%28software%29

No it's not.
Docker brings allot of automation on top of LXC, you don't have to use Docker to have a Linux container but it's much more easier and you can benefit from the Docker Hub repositories https://registry.hub.docker.com/
Rocker is absolutely right, we definitely need to do something about the marketing. Should have actually done marketing only instead of trying to innovate and create better product, bring XBMC to common people.

To lower cost of R&D, we started off by buying the box below at $85 from www.taobao.com and played around a bit, specs are rather similar to Prometheus. Also tried wandboad and even spoke to their team to help us modify the board for our need but no response for a few months. Hence we had to build our own at $179 (almost exactly how we wanted it).

OEM from China - $85

Prometheus - GetXBMC - $349

Respect for guys at GetXBMC for their marketing skills

Innovation and creativity - $179+
(2014-06-11, 10:01)nickr Wrote: I think you are preaching to the converted when you are looking at here, XBMC facebook etc. People who are on this forum or xbmc facebook probably already have a machine running xbmc, and don't need a new one.
It's true that most people here will already have an XBMC machine, but I, for one, would like to have something rather different than what I have now (which is a Foxconn book-sized PC). If I could get something that integrated a good quality OTA TV receiver and/or an optical drive, I'd sell my trusty Foxconn on ebay in a minute and get that new thing.

Also, I am always on the lookout for things I can recommend to my numerous as-yet XBMC-deficient friends.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freescale iMX6 XBMC box on Indiegogo1